• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What happened to the Mishimoto radiator thread?

I run OEM on both my jeeps. This week we was hitting 105 to 110 out here in Palms Springs CA. Both jeeps run about 200/210. With AC on it will stay around 212/215.
I run stock fan with stock E fan.

97 is the coolest running.
95 runs a little warmer, like 1 or 2 degrees, Not enough for me to even notice.

Hope this helps

What, in your opinion, is the best drop-in radiator? My 2001's radiator is getting old and beat up from being bumped, during engine bay work.
The Mopar 52080104AC has worked well but if a better one is available in the $500 range, I'm interested.
Eventually, they will let us out and I don't want overheating problems when we finally head up to the Eastern Sierra, assuming it happens before next winter. I have plenty of time to work on it right now.

To be honest with you I have been running the big stroker on an open box spectra I got on Amazon for $40. Stays at 180 all day.

I'd also like to know the results of these radiators. I have a 2000 xj that has a new Spectra radiator, new dealer thermostat, new dealer water pump, new dealer fan clutch, new dealer radiator cap. I have flushed the system 2x even though it was clean when I drained it. No rust, scale, or anything behind the water pump or thermostat housing. I have personally tested it 3x for exhaust gases in cooling system, pressure tested cooling system with no bleed down. It gets hot at idle in traffic or low speeds to the point the aux fan comes on at 220 via my scanner. At this point I can only run A/C on the highway. The factory clutch fan just doesn't move enough air at lower rpm's/idle. It does kick in at higher rpm's when hot as you can hear the roar of the fan until it cools a bit then slows down.

Did you test the radiator for flow? Is it 1 2 or 3 row? 2 and 3 row have been known to be badly made with poor flow due to solder getting stuck inside....

It's the Spectra one from Napa, so 1 core aluminum with plastic tanks. I think the row is 1" or maybe 1.250" at the most. I may try the old copper/brass 3 core out of my totalled 91, although it had similar overheat issues but the radiator was rodded out by Macs radiator and flowed 90+% of new, according to them.

That's why I was thinking mishimoto as it's a 2 core with .75" cores so a tad more capacity. But it's a moot point without proper airflow. Is there a smaller fan drive pulley available to increase it's speed?

I'd also like to know the results of these radiators. I have a 2000 xj that has a new Spectra radiator, new dealer thermostat, new dealer water pump, new dealer fan clutch, new dealer radiator cap. I have flushed the system 2x even though it was clean when I drained it. No rust, scale, or anything behind the water pump or thermostat housing. I have personally tested it 3x for exhaust gases in cooling system, pressure tested cooling system with no bleed down. It gets hot at idle in traffic or low speeds to the point the aux fan comes on at 220 via my scanner. At this point I can only run A/C on the highway. The factory clutch fan just doesn't move enough air at lower rpm's/idle. It does kick in at higher rpm's when hot as you can hear the roar of the fan until it cools a bit then slows down.

Now I have to assume you have something else going on.
'00 XJ with CA Emissions. Bought 7 years ago kinda running and not really driveable.
Put in a new Napa, rebranded Spectra, radiator with the cheap Napa thermostat and radiator cap.
Radiator was one of the things that needed fixing right away.
Runs fine. Temp always where I believe it should be.
I replaced the fan clutch at some point later not cause I was having problems but because I came across this video of what a properly operating fan clutch should do when the engine is hot and you shut it down.
Mine just kept spinning which indicated a bad fan clutch.
Napa XJ one which is just a rebranded Hayden.
Couple years ago replaced the water pump cause either coolant was dribbling out of the weep hole or the gasket was bad.
Napa one which is a rebranded Gates.
At that time I also replaced the electric fan not cause there was anything wrong with it but one of the tabs was broken and it annoyed me.
Used a $45 Ebay special there.
Going to assume you are running the fan shroud around the mechanical fan.

Yes, have the fan shroud. I was thinking exhaust gases in cooling system but tests negative 3 times now. I will be installing the 4 banger fan clutch next. If this doesn't fix it I'll pull the 5.3/4l60e out of my Tahoe and install it and put a 6.0/4l80e in the tahoe

Back