• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubicon 6 speed manual transmission in XJ?

The question would be, does anybody make a adapter for it yet?

The question would be, does anybody make a adapter for it yet?

It mates to the 4.0 in the TJ and LJs so I don’t know why you would need an adapter. I want to know if anyone has done this and if it’s worth it. The only reason I can see needing an adapter might be for the transfer case if you were not using the NP241OR?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember someone doing this years ago. From memory it bolts on. The issue is the CPS. It is in a different location or bolt holes are. Some how an adapter was made. That's what I remember. I think there was a slight advantage to the NV3550, but not much.

I recall one of the Magazines- Four Wheeler, JP, or Petersons- swapping one into a Comanche a few years back.

The NSG370 from the TJ/LJ will bolt right up to the 4.0. The biggest issue I recall them having was getting the speedometer on the NP241J they swapped with it to read correctly.

That makes sense, I didn’t think about the CPS and speedo before. I’ve heard there is a kit to put the CPS on a pulley or something like that, and it’s a lot easier to access. We’ll see if I get a hold of the transmission, it’s in a wrecked TJ Rubi that I am trying to buy but the owner is unsure right now 🤞🏻🤞🏻

The CPS is an easy fix. Hesco sells a $380 kit to relocate it to the crank pulley. I believe your original transfer case will bolt up too, so that would solve your speedometer issue. Really the only question I'd have is whether the mounts are the same, but I expect they are

The CPS is an easy fix. Hesco sells a $380 kit to relocate it to the crank pulley. I believe your original transfer case will bolt up too, so that would solve your speedometer issue. Really the only question I'd have is whether the mounts are the same, but I expect they are
$340

https://hesco.us/products/30802/mis...crank-sensor-kit-91-04-hes9199ed#.XyGILp5KiUk

Dammit. Wish I had known about this, just had to swap my crank pulley and would've rather had one of these for the extra peace of mind since a mid-trail repair of the CPS (always carry a spare) would suck.

Nice! I definitely keep that in mind. I plan to use the transfer case that comes with it, that’s why the speedo might be an issue

Eh whatever. It's probably $380 after shipping lol. Or they recently dropped the price. I was looking into this for EFI on my '81 J10. I was planning on doing a 4.0 swap, but the old T-177 doesn't have a provision for the CPS. I ended up getting the TBI, harness, fuel pump, etc. from an S10. I made an aluminum adapter for the TBI and wired it all up. So far it's only just ran in my driveway, but it at least idles and revs better than the carbs I tried on it.

Best part? It was free. A friend was sending the S10 to the JY and told me to take what I wanted from it. Can't beat that free.99

Nice! I definitely keep that in mind. I plan to use the transfer case that comes with it, that’s why the speedo might be an issue

Dakota Digital and HealTech make digital adapters for it, and I think Superlift still makes one, too. For my 241OR swap I used the HealTech SpeedoHealer v4 on which is plug and play and can be adjusted quickly and easily for any tire size and gear ratio combo.

Eh whatever. It's probably $380 after shipping lol. Or they recently dropped the price. I was looking into this for EFI on my '81 J10. I was planning on doing a 4.0 swap, but the old T-177 doesn't have a provision for the CPS. I ended up getting the TBI, harness, fuel pump, etc. from an S10. I made an aluminum adapter for the TBI and wired it all up. So far it's only just ran in my driveway, but it at least idles and revs better than the carbs I tried on it.

Best part? It was free. A friend was sending the S10 to the JY and told me to take what I wanted from it. Can't beat that free.99

Oh nice! That’s quite an upgrade for sure. And that’s about the best price around haha

Dakota Digital and HealTech make digital adapters for it, and I think Superlift still makes one, too. For my 241OR swap I used the HealTech SpeedoHealer v4 on which is plug and play and can be adjusted quickly and easily for any tire size and gear ratio combo.

Thanks for the heads up! I’ll check that out when the time comes👍🏼

Back