• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rausch Creek Sunday from Hell!

Mighty.Mighty_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Well I got home a few hours ago. I stayed until Sunday & went wheeling & that’s when all hell broke loose – literally. First I lost all 3 side bolts from my t’case skid and it flapped loudly all the way to Rausch. I jerry-rigged it at the comp area by pounding 2 non-fitting bolts into 2 of the holes ...

skid.jpg

... then since I missed the NAXJA guys, I went with a group of people I didn’t know, with no CB’s in the bunch (therefore rendering mine useless).
Later after making it successfully thru a portion of Rock Creek, my rear drive shaft decided to part company with the Jeep after a u-joint exploded. A couple of guys helped me out ...

shaft.jpg

About 100ft after having the d.s repaired, I see the people in the XJ behind me waving merrily. Oh wait … they’re not waving, they’re signaling me & screaming, STOP!! Huh? Seems my rear driver wheel was wobbling like crazy. I looked & all I saw was1 freaking bolt! Jeebus! 4 lug nuts & bolts gone!? The wheel was tilted towards me & that's all I could see. Luckily when we removed the wheel the bolts were still there. Chewed to heck - no lug nuts, but there. The wheel is useless now, holes all sheared out. The hub bolts need replacing. The center cap might be usable after I take a BFH to it. Thank God for full size spares.

spare.jpg

4 borrowed lug nuts later I decided to quit while the Jeep was still rolling, only to be abandoned on the trail by my “guide” who was going way too fast since my XJ was limping out on damaged bolts. He disappeared and I was lost. Yes, he left me there. :bawl: Believe it or not, I had to call home to Jersey, get my S.O. to find me the Rausch Creek phone # which I dialed, and the lady in the R.C. office guided me out by phone.
Then back at the staging area I discovered that the front bolts holding up my front hitch had somehow managed to peel back the steel in the front crossmember, thus freeing themselves. (What's with all these bolts anyway???)

banana.jpg

Anyway, that hitch took a severe beating all weekend, leading the way up & down the rocks on many occasions. I took this pic after arriving home & if it looks a little saggy, it's because it's held on only by the rear bolts. It's hanging low ... a DrawTite will replace it in a couple of weeks. May it rest in peace.
hitch.jpg

The good news is I have lots of pics & videos of the fun stuff, will post as soon as I figure out where to host them. Not enough storage on my current host.

Thanks to everyone who helped out, and it was great meeting you all. My next professional venture will be to invent a bolt that stays where you install it. :doh: Patents pending!

Last edited:
Holy crap!

I finally got your voicemail last night when I got home - I hadn't charged my phone at all over the weekend and it wasn't working very well on sunday. I'm glad you found a group to run with even if it ended up being a somewhat harrowing experience. At least you've found some stuff to upgrade and hopefully it'll be that much better your next time out!

Holy crap!!! That is a day from hell!! It is somewhat troubling that you were left like that in the park. Oh well, at least you got out in one piece.

They just left you in the park?!? Wow quality people there.

Mighty.Mighty_XJ said:
The good news is I have lots of pics & videos of the fun stuff, will post as soon as I figure out where to host them. Not enough storage on my current host.

Thanks to everyone who helped out, and it was great meeting you all. My next professional venture will be to invent a bolt that stays where you install it. :doh: Patents pending!

Sorry to here sunday ended up being so lousy for you. Hope you at least had a good time for the rest of the event.

You can host the pics and video by uploading them to my gallery here: http://gallery.mac.com/lobsterdmb#100047

I have plenty of storage space.

Last edited:
Aaaargh. That really sucks. I guess all that massive thrashing we put you through on Friday :speepin: led to Sunday's collapse!

. . . and of course, if we find that dirt-bag who stranded you, we can lead him into a proper Jersey guided trail in the Meadowlands.

Glad you finally got home though. BTW, now that you need a new matched set of wheels, I've been trying to figure out the make and model of mine (which you "admired" so much), but I bought them used 5 years ago and, being really old, I can't remember the details. I got them from another old NAXJA fart - Mark Hinkley - but he has been MIA on the boards since last year and I can't reach him. If I get a flash of inspiration before then, I'll let you know.

Hope to wheel with you again sometime.

Mike in NJ :patriot:

Hey now, Friday's "thrashing" was just warm up for Saturday dude. I ran blacks on Saturday, only bypassed the deeper water trying to protect those leaky seals. I've never had any significant trail damage before so I guess everything decided to "bolt" all at once making up for the past. I guess front/rear lockers tend to make a girl feel invincible, LOL. I'm real glad I got no body damage, though. Oh well, next year will definitely be better.

I only really need 1 rim. Only 1 of 5 got chewed up, so pretty much anything will do for a spare ... but I must admit I lean towards matching wheels - you know how we girls are!

My missing guide was from Maryland I think. He drove a big white XJ & ran with a motley crew who had a beat up old Chebby in their group that went through spare tires (3 of them!) like Bugs Bunny goes thru carrots. Most of them were great people tho. And the rest of 'em were very helpful. I owe someone a U-joint.

Thanks guys, I had a great time regardless. Hope to see you all soon! I think the XJ & I will be at PA Jeeps.

vetteboy said:
Holy crap!

I finally got your voicemail last night when I got home - I hadn't charged my phone at all over the weekend and it wasn't working very well on sunday. I'm glad you found a group to run with even if it ended up being a somewhat harrowing experience. At least you've found some stuff to upgrade and hopefully it'll be that much better your next time out!
All that is not enough to keep me down. I'll be up & running in time for PA Jeeps. And every bolt on that Cherokee will have our personal attention before I leave home!

Hey Lobster ... Thanks! Gonna take you up on that hosting offer.

Back