• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C Leaking feels more like my wallet is leaking...

duke183

NAXJA Forum User
So for starters I have 200 xj sport 4.0 auto trans. 97k miles on it. I just took it to Mr. Tire to get the eval done on the AC system cause I couldnt figure it out, they loaded it up with freon and it was empty in 2 days so def a leak somewhere. They confirmed that it is leaking behind the dash. Now they say take it to a dealer.

How much is this going to cost me and what happens if I do nothing (as far as the leaking behind the dash?

This is a tough day. Just about to be paid off then this happens.

It's gonna cost you a lot to have the dealer replace it. Like, high three digits at least... probably four digits.

I suggest forgetting it came with AC and making use of the windows :( All that will happen is your AC won't work, and your defrost won't be quite as effective. Neither of my jeeps have working AC and I do just fine.

It's not that bad... might just be me, but my parent's cars growing up never had working AC, my XJ doesn't, and my MJ certainly doesn't. I just keep the window open and get used to it :dunno: the only time it really bugs me is in a traffic jam when it's over 80 and humid.

I guess I am just a wimp. It isn't that hot yet but June is right around the corner. Plus, I was just coming from a nice new car and got rid of it to have more space for my little girl and traveling. Not sure my wife is going to be too keen on driving for hours with no AC but $1000 is a lot of money to throw down right now. Pondering the thought.

From others that have done it you can replace the evaporator in a weekend. Dash has to come out to remove the heater box, pretty much all the way out, front seats too, drop steering wheel to floor, remove parts, put them in ziplock baggies and label them as they come out as well as pics and drawings. I think the book says 8 hours labor. I too would like to do it on my 98. I would also like to pull the heater box in my 97ZJ and clean that out, dam thing is smelly.
A couple here have posted the step by step with pics on here at one time or another.

Now you see why it's a grand at the dealer.

It's not that bad you can get a new evaporator for under a hundred and spend a weekend pulling the dash. I've done it before.

It looks pretty bad. Hmm...well I will try to live without it for now and then if at some point I break down and feel compelled I may attempt this. However, another question: has anyone ever put one of those dash mounted oscillating fans in their car. I am looking at one on JC whitney and I would think it could help circulate the air but am not sure where I would put it? Any suggestions? Here it is: http://www.jcwhitney.com/powerful-o...p2002920.jcwx?skuId=168560#prodDetailTabPanel

Last edited:
I try to do the Evaporator and heater core together, cost of both cores is not worth pulling the dash twice.

I paid a shop to replace my core and evaporator and convert the system from R12 to R134a. It cost about $1k all told, including parts and everything.

All said and done, I'd probably do the same thing, although I already have a 134a systen. I do just about all my own work, but sometimes it's just better to pay a shop to do it right the first time. This type of work sort of equates to setting up gears to me as far as "knowledge factor".....I know my limitations, and time is money to me. Besides, if something doesn't work out, then THEY have to do it again, and not me.....

True, that makes sense Ivan. I guess if I am going to do it, I will pay someone else for this. It sure seems like it would be a pain in the @$$.

I'd do the AC evap myself since the conversion has no bearing on the evap and let the shop deal with the conversion. Too much misinformation on the internet concerning r12 to r134 conversion.

IMHO Go to dealer and have them find the leak. Go home. Order parts and install yourself. Have garage fill A/C with freon.

Really cheap, maybe a run to JY to get parts. I did it. Just time, effort, and good tools.

No reason to go to a dealer. Most a/c shops are better equipped to find a leak. Besides, the OP already had the leak confirmed that it was from behind the dash. And for the amount of work one has to do to replace the ac evap and heater core its not worth getting used parts.

Back