• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Land Rover Discovery

bradow

NAXJA Forum User
Does anybody know about these vehicles. I've always seen them around and really like the styling but just assumed they were out of my budget. I finally got around to doing a search on autotrader and found out they are about on par with the prices of same condition XJ's.

I've heard they have weak axles and are very inefficient. But i'm looking to DD it, not wheel it. And Jeeps are pretty inefficient too.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...&doors=&max_price=&cardist=143&standard=false

I'm finding stuff like that all over the place, same mileage and condition all for about the same price. Does life end at 100,000 miles for these vehicles or are there serious expensive repair problems that occur at this mileage? if I buy one will my Jeep hate me?

Any help would be appreciated.

Love the look of them, hate the drivetrain.

Search here in this forum, this has been discussed here at length.

Money pit!!!! The v-8 in them like to drop cylinder sleves and the rear main seals all leak. If it has air suspension the bags will all leak and the compressor will fail. There is a reason that all english car companys are no longer english.

Im wondering when the LR lovers will show up to tell everyone how great they are?

Well, for every one of them there are 100,000 people who hate them.

I really think they're cool, but way too hard to keep on the road for a reliable wheeler.

-----Matt-----

I don't really have a problem with them, but the ones I like you can't get in the states, Defenders I think they are called.

I don't know what year they were but I remember seeing a few of them running around Germany while I was stationed there.

Terrible for reliability and repairs are cost on the average twice as much as a regular vehicle. And on top of that they are hard to find parts for for some reason. I work in the parts business i know!

Isn't Land Rover a cousin to the Jeep...twice removed...?

Did some British guys after WWII take a old Army Jeep, modified it and it became the first Land Rover...

"well Jeeps are pretty inefficient."
"What do you think about a land rover?"
Just made me laugh.. sorry.

The only reason to own one is smug IMO.
If something breaks your looking to dump quite alot more money into a land rover rather a Jeep where I can find any part anywhere in the states. If your worried about the price you should not consider it.

I'm not saying they are bad or knocking them down for any reason. OK I am...but not maliciously. Yes I would prefer my Jeep over almost anything and defend it as such.
Just please don't buy a land rover just because you like the way it looks... test drive and study.

Yes your Jeep will hate you...

Last edited:
I like defenders as well. If i didnt live in the states, i would probably own one over a Jeep as a trail rig. Simply because of cost and parts allocation.
Id still buy an XJ for DD till the day i die!!!

Last edited:
Back