• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Sound Bar

XJCruiser

NAXJA Forum User
I purchased new speakers for my 97 2 door and am going to start sometime tomorrow or saturday. How do I remove the sound bar in the back? I see there is two screws on each side of the molding and the grab bars in the back seat... how do I remove the grab bars and the light in the sound bar to get the old speakers out and new ones in?

XJCruiser said:
I purchased new speakers for my 97 2 door and am going to start sometime tomorrow or saturday. How do I remove the sound bar in the back? I see there is two screws on each side of the molding and the grab bars in the back seat... how do I remove the grab bars and the light in the sound bar to get the old speakers out and new ones in?

On the grab handles there are covers on each end that snap on and cover the screws that hold the handles on. After removing the grab handles you should be able to remove the two top rear trim pieces by removing the screws which attach them to the upper interior brace. The sound bar is held in by the upper lip of those trim pieces. The rear cargo light on the sound bar is held on by two press fit retainers. Remove the lamp cover and you should be able to see them. Be sure to disconnect your negative battery wire otherwise if you cross the light contacts you will blow a fuse. The light should slip off once those are removed then unplug it from the harness. The sound bar should be free after that but you will have to unplug the speakers to completey remove the sound bar. I have a 4door w/soundbar but the process should be similar for you. I will need to replace my rear speaker soon too as they buzz alot if I turn the sound up on them. They also sound like crap anyway.

you do not need remove the sound bar there are covers over the speakes that just clip in from there there should be 4 tork bolts that hold in each speaker

xjjerk said:
you do not need remove the sound bar there are covers over the speakes that just clip in from there there should be 4 tork bolts that hold in each speaker

Well cool! I hadn't noticed that. I'll take another look in the am. Thanks.

Couldn't get the cover off! The guy at the detail shop couldnt either. I will tear into it tomorrow...took the day off of work!

Last edited:
Do you have the sound bar or the speakers built into the headliner? My sound bar was attached by the light in the middle and the trim along the sides of the head liner. Then the speakers were riveted in with plastic rivets.

Damn why can't there be more ppl around York county? Anyways take off the 3 pieces of trim in the back. Take out the light and the two pins that hold it in, they unscrew I used vice grips to twist them out. after that remove any other screws that might be behind it then slide it out.

yeah unless the 97 is different or I'm confused, and I just woke up so I am a little. But I took off the metal piece in the middle and I think the two side pieces. Just what ever you need to get it so you can slide it out towards the back.
You got a two door so yeah It's a lil different. but shouldnt be too much.

I got it all done!!! Took me about 2 hours from start to finish on front and rear speakers! Sounds Great!!! only problem i have is my drivers side front speaker doesnt work....checked everything from the cd player to the speaker....checked the wires and no sound.......not sure of the problem....thanks to everyone for your help!!!

The speaker wire right at the hinge could be broken from the door. hook up speaker wire from the head unit wiring harness directly to the speaker. If the speaker works then try plugging the speaker back in and touching the positive wire to the +speaker terminal. If the speaker works its the power wire if not try the same thing with the negative.

Had a huge party saturday night so i didnt get around to doin it til this morning...yeah when i pulled the wire from the door it was split in two! alonge with another wire....not sure what it was tho....everything works just fine now and the new speakers are ROCKIN!!!

Back