• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FJ New Years

Gasman

NAXJA Forum User
I'll kick the report thread off, good times this weekend. 6 families camped out Fri-Sun and a few others joined in for runs on Fri/Sat. Minimal carnage, Kraker lost low range after Fri's run and there was a cut tire and bent tie rod. Trails run were Upper Woodpecker, Upper Ajax, and Box Canyon.

Sunday turned out to be the most interesting in Box Canyon. First, an older Canadian couple visiting for the winter decided to take their new TDI VW Jetta through Box Canyon! German engineering didn't work out so well for them. Not sure WTF VW engineers were thinking when they decided to stick the fuel cooler underneath the vehicle, unprotected and inches off the ground. (Granted, they never planned the vehicle being offroaded but still, I could see that thing getting trashed if you accidently drove over a parking curb so not the best placement IMHO) Luckily we were able to get the damaged cooler off and salvage a enough of the incoming and outgoing metal line to clamp a rubber line to. It worked and a group of quads that had stopped followed them back out.

Next up, we came across a group of a dozen mostly stock Xterras sitting at the waterfall obstacle. We passed them the other way going down box earlier and they were being led by a built buggy. When we caught up to them again, the trail leader was missing and they asked us if we had seen him. We had, about 15 mins back. Seems the leader bailed for some reason so after we said we saw him, a couple of them took off after him. Not sure what was going on but they said they would be fine so we motored up the waterfall. Wierd. Fri on upper Woody the group ran into a stuck 4 Runner who's buddies had bailed on him too (and the guy had kids with him!). The group got him unstuck and out of there.

I didn't take any pics but lots of cameras out there so some should show up soon.

Sounds like a lot of bad/dickhead trail leaders. Prime example on how not to be off-road. Good job guys for helping out.

There was a fair share of asshat's out there this weekend. Yours truly included :gee:

I'll load up my pics asap. I think I left my camera at the parentals house by accident.

What an awesome trip, Thanks for leading out group Matt. my open/open made it through UA with a lot of help from the spotter thanks to everyone that help out. we have to do this again soon!!!! ( find me a front locker kraker!!!) :)

Last edited:
It was good times for sure Bill

For those who are lazy

Minirails in Box Canyon
NewYearsFlorenceJunction2011-2012708-1.jpg

Grant on the same line
NewYearsFlorenceJunction2011-2012703-1.jpg

Cunuck VDub in Box Canyon that Jamie and Matt repaired.
NewYearsFlorenceJunction2011-2012626-1.jpg

Matt on UA
NewYearsFlorenceJunction2011-2012312-1.jpg

Sue driving my pig in Box Canyon... She had the stock seatbelt on before I hear any bitching.
NewYearsFlorenceJunction2011-2012538-1.jpg

Bob Jeepshiz in UA
NewYearsFlorenceJunction2011-2012352-1.jpg

Jamie and I posing :D
NewYearsFlorenceJunction2011-2012141-1.jpg

There were a few of us up there from sierra vista club and i was up for the day on sat and i had planned to stop and say hi with another member in an xj but the wifes tj had an upper rear control arm rip off the frame side all the way out at the mill past the cabin so we limped back to the trailer which took awhile being slow so i did not waste the tireon the coil bucket. Maybe we will catch you on the next run. The weather was great.

There were a few of us up there from sierra vista club and i was up for the day on sat and i had planned to stop and say hi with another member in an xj but the wifes tj had an upper rear control arm rip off the frame side all the way out at the mill past the cabin so we limped back to the trailer which took awhile being slow so i did not waste the tireon the coil bucket. Maybe we will catch you on the next run. The weather was great.

How did the 3 link work out?

I hope someone has a picture of Bob's face when his driver tire came a couple feet off the ground at the top of the slippery waterfall on UA. That was priceless! :D

Got my pics loaded up

Friday before anyone got to camp MDub's homie was there in this cool lil cj We ran Middle Woody
003.jpg

005-1.jpg

That's it for MW.. Went back to camp and met up with Jamie Bob Dave and Grant. We decided to run Upper Woodpecker
010.jpg

019.jpg

019.jpg

021.jpg

I blew out my low range Friday on UW. So that was it for the fun stuff.

Saturday we ran Upper Ajax
027.jpg

030.jpg

034.jpg

Matt on the hard exit of Upper Ajax
041.jpg

Sunday a nice cruise down Box Canyon yeilded the most interesting/busy day. First with the parade of a thousand stock Xterra's and then the Baja'ing VDub Passat!

Here's the offroading kunuck vdub that Matt and Jamie saved
062.jpg

Back