• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NWFest Medical / EMT / First Responder list

Hi, I'm Eric, and my girlfriend Nancy and I are going to be coordinating the "Emergency Medical" needs for NW Fest.

She is a Nurse with 25+ years experience in everything from ER/Trauma to "Birthin Babys Ms. Scarlett".

I volunteer for my county's Search And Rescue team and have my AHA CPR / First Aid, and Red Cross MOFA (Mountaineering Oriented First Aid) cards and lots of practice... but nowhere near what some of you probably have.

What we are looking to do is set up a list of attendees that are (Professionally) in the health care field such as :
Doctors
Nurses
EMT's
First Responders

I am not compiling a list of who is carrying a First Aid Kit (Because you ALL have them, right?)

What I would like to do is get a list of people who have professional training and who are willing to redirect themselves to "The Scene" IF something bad happens out there somewhere. The point being, that if we plan for it, "IT" won't happen. I know that if something really ugly happens, it could be a while before the subject gets evacuated, and having qualified people respond could mean the difference between someone going home in a Jeep, or a Bag.

So, if you're willing to be on a "Call" list, I'd love to get a Private Message from you with contact info. I'll be putting together a list for us to trade amongst the organizers of the event, to be passed out to trail leaders, and some general info on how we could respond, or at least contact each other.

Details will get figured out... But we'd like to start generating the list now so we know who to give info to.

Thanks,

Eric

Eric,
I appreciate what you are trying to do. It is a very valuable tool. I have done a few similar things in the past to help try to support these types of activities. However, I think you might have over estimated the number of people involved in this group that would meet your requirements ;)

I am by no means involved in the medical field. (I am aware of a couple of people on this board who are EMT's, but I am not aware of anything more than that). I am first aid certified (I couldn't count the number of times I have been trained in first aid, CPR, etc, etc. I do however carry a complete trauma kit (minus the baby birthing stuff ;) ) and suspect that you might be shocked at the number of people on this board who have much more than a small, out of date, first aid kit that fits in their glove box.

I suspect that it might be more beneficial to start with each trail leader understanding who has what medical items and knowlege before heading out on the trail?

Just my .02
Michael

Geeze... I thought there may be a few "Professionals" out there attending the event.

Oh well, makes coordinating efforts easy. :rof:

A HAM radio operator would be a nice resource to have.... Anybody? Anybody? Bueller? Bueller? :laugh:

Eric

I Know I am not in your chapter and I am not able to help you out... I wish I could though. But I am also an EMT-I down here in TX and I honestly think every "major run" NAXJA holds should have atleast one medicaly trained person there (Two would be better). You never know what will happen.. myself included.

I mean its not that I want people to get hurt... I just want to be there when it happens.

a small, out of date, first aid kit that fits in their glove box.

I have this. :D

I used to be CPR and First Aid certified... but I havent kept them up. :twak:

I Know I am not in your chapter and I am not able to help you out... I wish I could though. But I am also an EMT-I down here in TX and I honestly think every "major run" NAXJA holds should have atleast one medicaly trained person there (Two would be better). You never know what will happen.. myself included.

I mean its not that I want people to get hurt... I just want to be there when it happens.

I agree that it would be wonderful to have the following on every major trip:
1. Medically trained person
2. XJ mechanic and all spare parts
3. XJ's well maintained before events so nothing goes wrong
4. Maps of the area with evacuation routes marked
5. GPS's in every rig with maps and people who know how to use them
6. Helicopter on call for emergencies

However, the reality is that we don't, and we will have to do our best.
Here is what we DO have most of the time
1. Medically trained unprofessionals who can do first aid and work together to help a person get the needed medical attention as soon as necessary
2. People familiar with XJ's and many spare parts
3. Some well maintained vehicles and other not so well maintained
4. Maps of the area held by some
5. GPS's in several rigs, maps in others, and some people who know how to use them (not always the same people)
6. Cell phones, CB's, flares and other survival equipment to make due in an emergency.

My point is only that many of us spend alot of time outdoors and are well trained in first aid, medical issues, survival, trauma and how to deal with situations as they arise. We also have a good number of trauma kits, people who are leaders, and people with skills to support the group well. Accidents happen and I think we are as well prepared to deal with them as we should be expected to be.

Michael

Good news! I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express again last night and recharged my medical knowledge. So I should be covered and anyone with me. Sorry for the rest of you.

On a serious note, If there happens to be a REAL emergency please contact me and I will be enroute ASAP. Depending on where something was to happen I/we can decide the best course of action regarding evacuation. There is cell coverage on the tops of some ridges and GPS coordinates and radio frequencies can be passed along in the event of a major emergency for Medivac usage. If you have a non life threatening injury you will have to ride it out in another rig. The area is served by volunteer services and i'm sure coverage for that can be hit and miss. If everyone that is medically trained needs to get together we will set that up in camp. Some of us are leaving in the morning and will not get the feedback to this thread so please bring it up with someone in the know on your arrival to camp.

Let's be safe out there!!!

I'm a Licensed Chiropractic Physician, been practicing 11 years. I have training in first responder/CPR/minor surgery/spinal cord injuries/motor vehicle trauma, etc etc.

I'm also a HAM operator: KE7WTX and my copilot (dezertdog) is also a HAM operator: W7ILK. We'll both be operating 5W mobile units.

I have been certified in CPR and first-aid, although it's been three years since my last class. I could probably keep someone alive for as long as there was beer in their cooler.

I wasn't aware this thread was still active. OOPS.

We have BOTH been called in to work this weekend and WILL NOT be able to make it to NWFest. :wow:

While I'm thankful I am gainfully employed, it sucks that we're missing the biggest XJ event in the area.

Back