• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transfer case questions

fordsux74

NAXJA Forum User
I am currently driving a 88 xj and am swapping in a 97 4.0 motor in. I know I need the newer trans fro the 97 donor vehicle, but I am wondering if I need to buy a new transfer case, or can I convert my old np231 to a 23 spline. IF so, where do I find this kit and about how much would it set me back? Thanks a bunch for the help

Why not change the flexplate, or can you get away with that? The flexplate is the part that adapts the TC to the crank (if you didn't know offhand...)

I think the TC bolt pattern was the same all along, so check to make sure the TC will bolt to the later flexplate - it probably will.

5-90

See thats were it is weird, all the bolt patterns are the same, the only problam is that the torque converter on my old tranny has a smooth male end thats about and inch long and a inch in diameter or so. The crank on the new motor will only alow that male end ot go in about half an inch or so, so it wont be enough for the two pieces to conect

Back