NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old April 27th, 2009, 08:56
NAXJA Forum User

Back storage box?

Right now in the back of my jeep I have an old wooden box that carries all my off road gear and then I have my spare tire laying next to it on the other side. The problem I have is that I don't like having the box have an open top for safety and I also don't want everyone able to see into my storage box.

I'm planning on building a new storage box. Does anyone have any sort of drawer assembly pictures in back for inspiration?
Old April 27th, 2009, 09:13
NAXJA Member

Re: Back storage box?

I have a steel drawer exactly like you're talking about, the spare tire can sit on top of it (up to 33" I think). If you were closer I'd sell it to you cheap. It fits perfectly between the wheel wells, has the four stock floor tie downs mounted on the four corners on top, has three compartments inside. It's on heavy duty slides, works perfectly. Was custom made for the back of the XJ.
Thanks to , Falken Tires, Bishop-Buehl Racing Engines, Ten Factory Axles, Brown Dog, Hooker Harness, BILSTEIN, Raceline Wheels, WARN, G&G Auto Repair/Off Road, Yukon Gear and Axle, Full Traction, Cal, Russ, James, and many, many others.
Old April 27th, 2009, 12:32
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubbazoot View Post
Right now in the back of my jeep I have an old wooden box that carries all my off road gear and then I have my spare tire laying next to it on the other side. The problem I have is that I don't like having the box have an open top for safety and I also don't want everyone able to see into my storage box.

I'm planning on building a new storage box. Does anyone have any sort of drawer assembly pictures in back for inspiration?

the mother of all cargo area threads

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.ph...ear+cargo+area
Old April 27th, 2009, 22:28
NAXJA Forum User

Here's the idea I came up with today during lunch (no pics, just a description).
The base to it will be 48" by 32" and divided into three sections widthwise, each 16 inches wide and 10 inches high. The two sections on the right side would be 10 inch high storage drawers (not real drawers, just box in a hole type design) and the left side would be a "cubbie" that would be 20 inches high. On top of the two right portions I'd put my spare tire, and then mount my high lift on top of that. I'm still pondering how I'll handle the spare tire (I can't decide whether/how to enclose it).
Old April 28th, 2009, 08:02
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubbazoot View Post
and the left side would be a "cubbie" that would be 20 inches high. On top of the two right portions I'd put my spare tire, and then mount my high lift on top of that. I'm still pondering how I'll handle the spare tire (I can't decide whether/how to enclose it).
20 inches high seems to be too high and there would be wasted space unless you stack things in there or carry jack stands. i use milk crates to carry stuff because its about the right height to carry coolant bottles and 1 gallon oil containers.
Old April 28th, 2009, 08:23
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89xj View Post
20 inches high seems to be too high and there would be wasted space unless you stack things in there or carry jack stands. i use milk crates to carry stuff because its about the right height to carry coolant bottles and 1 gallon oil containers.
I plan on using that space to put my fluids in. I may also use it to store my tool box. Mainly I want to bring it up to level to be able to put stuff on top of it.
Old April 28th, 2009, 09:50
NAXJA Member

Mine's pretty big, and it's 12" high. It's also pretty heavy with the stuff I carried in it, and it was a challenge finding a way to latch it so the drawer didn't bang around on the trail. You have to open it at times when you're not sitting flat on the trail (most of the time), and it can be a bear to deal with if it's too heavy.
Thanks to , Falken Tires, Bishop-Buehl Racing Engines, Ten Factory Axles, Brown Dog, Hooker Harness, BILSTEIN, Raceline Wheels, WARN, G&G Auto Repair/Off Road, Yukon Gear and Axle, Full Traction, Cal, Russ, James, and many, many others.
Old April 28th, 2009, 09:55
NAXJA Member #771

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=977669

Robert
Old April 28th, 2009, 11:54
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatman View Post
Mine's pretty big, and it's 12" high. It's also pretty heavy with the stuff I carried in it, and it was a challenge finding a way to latch it so the drawer didn't bang around on the trail. You have to open it at times when you're not sitting flat on the trail (most of the time), and it can be a bear to deal with if it's too heavy.
That's part of the reason I'm goig to do two drawers. I just have to figure out a way to make sure the drawers are securely shut while I'm on the trail.