• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Testament to the GDI 3 core...

Lucas

NAXJA Forum User
Went wheeling last weekend and it was about 90 degrees out on the trail. I have converted my mechanical fan with an electric wired in with the stock electic fan with a GDI 3 core radiator.
There was a big hill climb that 2 CJs on something like 38" TSLs/Boggers and a caged explorer on 36TSLs were having massive trouble on (mostly because they ran full width axles). To get past the same spot (31" pro comp MTs, open diffs) I had to really wail on the 4.0.

At the top of the mountain, I let my jeep idle in the sun during lunch with AC on full blast and the temp needle started to rise to almost redline. It had never gotten so hot since the electic conversion. I figured that my luck had run out and the new system just couldn't keep up witht the mech fan.

I got home and the next day I found that I was running 10 or so degrees warmer than I usually do around the city, and the AC would push it waaaay over normal. I checked my fans more closely and found that the studs from the old mechanical fan had apparently moved forward enough while I was gunning it up the climb (I was REALLY on the gas pedal) to tear out the back guts of my new electric. Its better for the pulley to take out a fan than for the mech fan to take out the rad. IMHO. So, all Sunday I was running trails with one stock electric fan and the GDI. Albiet a little warm, I bet there woluld be no way I could have made it with a stock rad. and that fan.

As for the conversion electric, im replacing it ASAP and cutting down those studs.

YO lucas which electric fan are you running for a primary? Does it run all the time how much cfms does it pull??? Do you have a shroud for it or is it just bolted to the rad...
let me know
thanks
themud

I as well love my gdi 3 core but not just the cooling ablities but the lifetime warrenty with it I have a habit of punching holes through the rad.

I got a 12" imperial from autozone. It kicks on with a thermostat relay that is wired with the factory aux fan. It kind of has a built in shroud. Rated CFMs are 850. It covers the dimensions of the GDI perfectly so just about all of those 850 are through the radiator fins.

Im also running a massive tranny cooler (NOT in line w/the factory cooler) which I believe helps out a ton.

Back