• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Detonation/knocking/pinging with Hypertech Programmer

gradon

NAXJA Forum User
So I got a good deal on a used HPP 3 programmer (50012) that had been divorced from it's previous Jeep. I still had a half tank of the 87 so when I did the power tuning, I chose the 87 fuel option. I had to drive 15mi to work and immediately heard the pinging on anything more than 1/2 throttle. I came back home and set it back to stock setting. A couple days later I refill with Sunoco 93 and then use the HPP to program for the 93 tune--still pinging. I reduce the HPP tuning to 87 and she is pinging a lot less, but still pinging. I was running a .050 plug gap(double plat autolites) due to the hotter Accel coil, cap, rotor, and Magnecors, so I reduced them back to the recommended .035 and it helped a bit. Tomorrow I plan on installing a 180* thermostat to help with the detonation. The only other engine mod is the FIPK. I'm waiting for my emissions testing before I swap in the Borlas, 99 intake, and 62mmTB from my 94, but those are going to lean out the a/f mixture by adding more air. So has anyone had success with the Hypertech programmer? I had success with the Jet stage 2 on the 94, but it won't work with the 96 OBD2. What other, if any, mods did your Jeep have? If the timing is being advanced too much, the fuel being leaned too much, can I compensate by adjusting CPS? Adjustable MAP? An excuse to buy those Ford 4 hole 24#ers?

Try an octane booster? Maybe that'll help or at least narrow something down. Run an injector cleaner too to make sure its not clogged and you're getting the right amount of fuel. Also, perhaps with the FIPK, although there is a heatshield maybe ur still sucking in hot air.

Whatever you do, don't keep driving it with preignition....it will long term kill the motor....reasons....too much ignition lead, too lean or too rich, hot spots in combustion chamber....poor quench/low mixture turbulence....driving habits that make the above items worse such as lugging the engine, which really increased the effective compression....

man i had one for my 99 for a while and it threw an engine code on and off - i really fely no difference with the 93 and 87 modes - i ended up selling mine - i think in a bigger engine like the chevy, ford, dodge etc it is more effective - put the money towards exhaust, etc.

sorry for the problems - i did call hypertech a few times and they were very nice and at least that was a plus

Back