• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Modine Radiators

Atl XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 95 XJ with a 4.0L auto (AW4) and I'm planning on replacing my radiator. I deal with a LOT of traffic and when I get stuck in bad traffic my temperature gets up to 230 degrees. Well, I've narrowed it down to the radiator (even though it only has 80K on it). I've replaced the thermosat, hoses, thermstat housing, water pump, and flushed the cooling system. I think I'm forgetting something. Anyway, I was planning on getting a GDI 3 row radiator like everyone recommends, but my father insists that I should get a Modine. The Modine is only a two row radiator. I'm paying for it and normally I would just get the GDI, but I live in an apartment and have to do my install work in my fathers garage and I really don't want to hear about it. My father's reasoning behind me getting a Modine is that it would be purchased locally (in case there are any problems), and he has always had good luck with them. He restores old cars and builds street rods. I understand that Modine makes a good radiator, but I have never used one and I'm wondering if any of you guys have any experience with them. So basically I want everybody's opinion on Modine radiators. Also, will their be much of a difference in cooling efficieny between a two row and a three row? Oh yeah, the price of the two radiators with his discount would be about the same. I'm also considering replacing the clutch fan too. It felt a little loose. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks :D :D

My recommendation if you want to keep the Jeep is not to get the GDI. Is a case of you get what you pay for. Had one in my '98 as an 'upgrade' for the single row aluminum stocker. The GDI did cool better than the original at speed but worse crawling along in traffic. Started leaking ever so little in less than a year also. Pulled it and installed an OEM twin core aluminum, such as one when equipped with towing package or Up Country. This one cools better than the GDI in all conditions. Never goes above 210 even here in the heat of Utah.

The problem it seems this final one i chose was rather expensive. I have heard the Modine is cheaper and i think would be the best choice for you....and keeping on good terms with Pop is always a good thing!!

Lemme put in an endorsement for the OEM-type heavy duty radiator. On my 92, the HD radiator was standard with A/C, and was a two-row type.

I replaced the OEM one with a new Modine 2 row. While I was at it, I put on a new water pump, a new thermostat, and all new hoses.

I run 50/50 glycol/water, and live in Phoenix, AZ. Daytime temps run between 110 and 115 in the summer (it just FINALLY dropped below 100 this week).

In stop and go traffic, with the AC on, my temps hover about 215. Once I start moving, they drop back to 210, and stay there.

On long mountain grades, at road speed, the temp might reach 220-225, but it's rare, and not sustained.

My point for all of this is that the OEM cooling system, if kept in good working order, CAN DO THE JOB, and keep the engine at the designed operating temp.

BTW, the DESIGN operating temp for a 4.0 in an XJ is 210 degrees F. DON'T freak out and think that's too hot, 'cuz it's NOT.

An acquaintance recently bought a GDI. The box says "Made in China". That should tell you enough about the quality.

my modine works great, put a late model xj one in my 87. I know I should run a therm but I havent gotten around to that yet, stays chilly until I get on the trail then runs about 180-210 all day long. Unless I'm beating on a hill climb with the ac on.

My '88 was a factory order vehicle, with a/c, tow pacjage, and every heavy-duty option available. It had a Modine 2-core radiator from the factory. I know it was a Modine because I could read the tag when I replaced it.

It sprung a leak in early December of 1999. I replaced it with a GDI. I have had no quality control complaints, no leaks, and the GDI cools MUCH better than the factory HD radiator ever did.

Let it be noted that I bought my GDI through a local radiator shop, not from the 1-800-RADIATOR place that has the Jeep club deal I've seen many complaints about GDI radiators, and I find it a bit curious that ALL those complaints are from people who bought from 1-800-RADIATOR. A friend in the next town has bought several GDIs from the same shop where I got mine, and he also has had zero problems or complaints.

My GDI said Made in Mexico. If they have switched production to China, I would avoid it like the plague. In any event, if you can get a Modine for the same price as a GDI, get the Modibe. But besure you get one with metal tanks, not the crappy plastic crimped-on tanks that the factory uses.

Get the Modine. Do not get GDI! The quality of GDI has gone down the toilet in recent times. I had one, it never ran right, well when I finally pulled it out and took to be rodded out it turns out the thing is full of loose solder from when the built it!

You'll be happy with the Modine.

Sequoia

Get the csi radiator from Dirk at Dpg offroad.----www.dpgoffroad.com He said they are the best quality he has seen and 3 row. You might want to check them out.---Kyle

Gdi of questionable quality

I have not had any problems with my GDI but I have a friend here who had one and had overheating problems. The modine all alluminum radiator is a good purchase. Just make sure you get the all alluminum because they make both types!
Rabbit

Another happy Modine camper.

'90 XJ runs 205° - 210° 99% of the time, even during extended idling or A/C use. Sometimes hits 215° on hot summer days (100°+).

I now have two Modine high-efficiency 3-core radiators running in XJ's (one auto, one 5-sp) and no complaints. I boulght them from a local shop (always a good idea wherever possible,) both are made in Canada (best I could do,) and both have seen me put 60K or better on them since.

Operating temperature on both of my DD Renix XJ's is down around 190*, with no complaints.

I've been using Modine cooling & A/C parts (radiators, heater cores, evaporators, condensers) for as long as I care to remember with no complaints.

5-90

Well my delima has been solved for me. Pops took it upon himself to buy me a new radiator. That was nice of him wasn't it? Anyway, he bought the Modine. Its got to be better than my stock radiator!!! I think I'm going to replace the clutch fan too. When it starts to run hot in traffic it cools back down to 210 if I kick the a/c on (which turns the electric fan on). Thanks for all the input guys!! :D :D

I have always used modines in all my replacements. We very rarely ever trade in a car and keep them for at least 10 years w/high milage. Considering that where we live in the poconos to go anywhere you need to drive at least 30 miles one way we rack up the miles.
The price difference between local shops on modines is pretty broad. After my 2nd or 3rd I got lucky and found a local [45mi away] place that was close to $40 cheaper on the same radiator. Come to find out that all the other parts stores get them from them :D
If you look in a modine catalog you will see different combinations for the same vehicles, aluminum core/plasti tanks, copper core/plastic tanks, copper core/brass tanks and so on. I don't like the plastic ones much they tend to seprate on an overheat/overpressure where the all metal ones tend to lift the cap. You won't go wrong with modine even though there are better ones out there but those better ones start a $400 and work up from there.

Talked to Dirk and the new 3 row CSF's are 150+drop shipping from dallas,tx. Dirk is completly stoked about these and I've got one coming soon as soon as the funds come in. He said no one else knows of them not even radiator.com. He was only gonna get two when i was talking to him the other day then he wrote me and said he bought quite a few. Definitely give him a call!

I installed the Modine on Saturday and it was an easy install. I did some other work too, but I only spent about an hour on the actual radiator install. The Modine is about twice as thick as the factory radiator. I also installed a new fan clutch. Its not running too hot in traffic any more!!!!!!! It'll get a hair past 210 and then it cools down quickly. MUCH better than before.:D :D I also installed Bilstein shocks all the way around and I am very impressed with how much better it rides.:cool:

Great choice imo, as somebody that untill very recently sold auto parts for NAPA, I can vouch for the Modine quality, dont be frightened about the whole 2 core vs. 3 core thing, for a few years now Modine has increased the fin count on all their radiators and claim much better cooling efficiency, I NEVER had a Modine radiator come back to any of my stores ( I was a Territory Sales Manager) bwecause of a faulty radiator, saw a few split seams usually caused by the wrong cap. Both of my XJs have Modines in them and no problems at all. Just my 2 cents.

Re: Gdi of questionable quality

ryurabbit said:
Just make sure you get the all alluminum because they make both types!
Rabbit

Now why in the world would you want aluminum over copper????

Copper conducts heat much better than aluminum.

Back