• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Head repair..

Jeranta

NAXJA Forum User
I finally have the jeep in the garage here at home to fix a coolant leak either at the rear freeze plug or head gasket. Got the intake off and the exhaust manifold loose and hopefully will have the head off tomorrow. :repair:
A person almost has to be triple jointed at the wrist to take the intake and exhaust bolts out located between the two, and getting to them while the the engine and head are together in the engine bay is not easy. It'll be interesting to see how easily it goes back together.

What I wonder is if anyone else who may have taken their head off before, did you put the intake and exhaust on before or after you put the head back on the engine. Seems like the location of the bottom row of bolts would be impossible to get to with a torque wrench.

What products could you all recommend to clean the intake runners with to rid it of all the mess in there? Maybe spray it with throttle body cleaner and let it sit overnight?

Thanks in advance,
Jerry.

I just replaced the exhaust manifold on my '87. I used carb cleaner to clean out the intake manifold. I found that I could use a torque wrench on the lower bolts if I used a wobble extension.

head removal

I called a friend over to help me lift the head and manifold off and put it back in as one piece. 1 stout lifter and 1 helper can get it strait up off the block and out of the engine compartment and back in in the reverse with out marring or gouging anything. I agree with above. good ole carb cleaner and lots of it.

When I did my head I pulled the manifolds off first, and put them on last. I was able to do it with extensions and a torque wrench, on a couple of the bolts I needed a wobble (right around the middle). It's a pain, but possible.

Thanks guys, I'll give the carb cleaner a try.
Think I'll try to put the manifolds on first before I reinstall the head, it just seems like it would be less frustration that way.

And who on earth designed that power steering bracket? Sheesh that thing alone is enough to give somebody a headache.

Manifold challenges

Yeh, I've done it. It is a pain. I am not sure which is worse the PS bracket or the manifold. I installed a Borla header that required me to remove the motor mount. Good thing, it was broken! So was the other side!

It is doable. Good luck

Back