• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Concealed Carry Choice?

sjd78

NAXJA Forum User
Just looking for some opinions and input. I am going to be purchasing a handgun for concealed carry as soon as I make up my mind what I want. (keep in mind that I am going to go about this legaly) I am tossed up between a Kimber Ultra Compact and a Glock 30 or 36. Im not really interested in any other manufacturer or caliber other then .45acp.
I know the first thing everyone is going to say is I need to spend some range time with each to make a decision...and I already have. I really like aspects of the Glock 30/36 as well as the Kimber Ultra Compact. Of course the Glocks are alot cheaper and have long been known for their reliability. I like the way they feel and I shoot well with them. My only complaint is that they only have a trigger safety...which to be honest scares me a bit. Now, I do feel compaled to say that I am a long time 1911 fan and I love Kimber's. The only real hang up I have for one is the price. They have a manual safety which I like and I shoot very well with one. I currently own a full frame Kimber and love it. I hate to make it sound like I am putting a price on the ability to deffend myself becuase that is not the case. I am just stating the only issue which really isnt an actual issue with the firearm itself.
Anyways I am just looking for some honest opinions regarding the choices I have stated. Just some friendly conversation and discussion about them with people who share the same interest. Please, you know who you are...if you dont have anything possitive to add to this and just want to bash and disrespect, then please dont comment or post. I appreciate any possitive input anyone may give.

Thanks
Sean....

I carry a .357 snubby. (Taurus 617SS)

When I'm around home or the city it is loaded with .38+P 125gr JHP. Out in the woods it is .357 125gr JHP.

I just like the revolver for super simple concealed carry. Pull the trigger, if it doesn't go bang, pull the trigger again.

I am a 1911 fan. If I could. I would carry one. but they're either to big or too expensive. I don't like the idea of carrying a loaded gun with springs under tension, especially the sear ready to drop the hammer. My carry is is DAO or a 1911, one chambered hammer down. I don't like the feel (especially small) Glocks. The M&P is nice to but i ended up with a XD.

If you want a 1911 clone; there are other options than Kimber, you know. Springfield and Para-Ordnance both come readily to mind - and you can also look for a good use Colt Commander or Officer's model.

There is something to be said for the wheelgun in CCW mode - since it's much simpler, and you don't need as many immediate action drills (stoppages, failure to feed/extract/eject, and the like.) If you're going to carry an auto, start practicing what to do with malfunctions until you can do it in your sleep, underwater, and with your eyes shut. In fact, you might want to have someone roll some "light loads" to mix in with your practise ammo (and make sure you do'nt get your practise ammo and your carry ammo mixed up!) so you can cause some malfunctions. About one round in fifty is enough, and don't mark them any differently from your other practise ammo (in fact, have someone else salt the round into the boxes for you.)

The G36 is the only Glock I really like the ergonomics of (I once had a G19, and I've shot most of the rest, but I don't much care for double-stacks,) since I've got short, stubby fingers. I tend to prefer single-stack autos.

You may also want to think about the .40 as well - it's not a bad calibre, and the JTC bullets they usually use as hardball seem to do a good job of transferring energy (not as good as a hollowpoint, but rather better than the roundnose 9m/m.)

The .357/.38 can also have some good loads for it, and you can also think about the .44 Special/Magnum as well (plenty of good defensive rounds for the .44 Special - it's plenty strong.)

The .45ACP is a good round - probably my favourite - but there's no need to really limit yourself. There are quite a few decent rounds for personal defense, and using a revolver can give you some more options than you'd have with an auto, if you're likely to spend any time out in the weeds...

Just my preference, but I carry an auto with the chamber empty. I've done the draw and slide to chamber a round drill enough times, it really only takes a second longer to get into action.
If I'm expecting trouble, I jack one into the chamber and move the pistol to my front belt or pocket.
No worry about getting hung up in the draw or forgetting the safety. I never use the safety anyway.
I'm with 5-90, I keep the chamber under the hammer empty on a revolver. I had the hammer block break in two on a Ruger I used to have. I never really trust anything mechanical to be fool proof or a human in a high stress situation to be idiot proof.
It wasn't very long ago an acquaintance asked if I could fix the air conditioning in his XJ. Asked him what the problem was and he got kind of vague and said he thought it was a leak. It had a leak alright, a bullet hole right through the evaporator. Regional security and anti terrorism director. :)

Last edited:
5-90 said:
If you want a 1911 clone; there are other options than Kimber, you know. Springfield and Para-Ordnance both come readily to mind - and you can also look for a good use Colt Commander or Officer's model.

There is something to be said for the wheelgun in CCW mode - since it's much simpler, and you don't need as many immediate action drills (stoppages, failure to feed/extract/eject, and the like.) If you're going to carry an auto, start practicing what to do with malfunctions until you can do it in your sleep, underwater, and with your eyes shut. In fact, you might want to have someone roll some "light loads" to mix in with your practise ammo (and make sure you do'nt get your practise ammo and your carry ammo mixed up!) so you can cause some malfunctions. About one round in fifty is enough, and don't mark them any differently from your other practise ammo (in fact, have someone else salt the round into the boxes for you.)

You may also want to think about the .40 as well - it's not a bad calibre, and the JTC bullets they usually use as hardball seem to do a good job of transferring energy (not as good as a hollowpoint, but rather better than the roundnose 9m/m.)

The .45ACP is a good round - probably my favourite - but there's no need to really limit yourself. There are quite a few decent rounds for personal defense, and using a revolver can give you some more options than you'd have with an auto, if you're likely to spend any time out in the weeds...
agreed about the whole really learning your weapon. i carry an XD40, or a kimber 1911, and there is something to be said about the simplicity of the XD compared to a 1911... just in takedown, cleaning, sensitivity to dirt and dust (after all it is called xtreme duty for a reason... but while on this a wheel gun is pretty good about that). the xd you can carry loaded safely as well, and a 1911 can be carried "cocked and locked" with a thumbreak hammer block holster.

i am a personal fan of autos mostly because of my training as far as close quarters combat goes... the time into action, reload time, and ammo carrying capacity can be much greater than with a wheel gun.

but i have yet to draw mine besides to shoot a deer that i hit and didnt kill instantly.

whatever you get practice lots and get to know it intimatly. and if its around the house have everyone that knows its there know how to effectively and safely operate the weapon.

You should feel comfortable with any gun you carry. thats why I say the Glock probably isnt for you. I feel better carrying a Glock than I do a 1911 type of auto. I dont like single action autos for concealed carry. Im not a fan of having to chamber then drop the hammer on the round, you may as well carry a single action wheel gun, at least as far as that all important first shot is concerned.
With the glock, find a holster that covers and blocks the trigger and you're golden. If you cant get to the trigger on a Glock, its safe, but once its out of the holster, its only a one hand, one step proceedure to fire it, pull the trigger.
But everyone has there thoughts and preferences so get what is comfortable for you.

I have a Sig P245. It's compact but with the extended clip with 8 rounds it feels normal size in the hand, but still small enough to carry. I like the stopping power of a 45. Plus, how else would I justify singing the "country boy will survive" song by Hank jr?

Anybody look at the .45GAP round, just saw them for the first time while I was picking up reloading supplies on tues or wed. Don't know whats chambered for it but it looked interesting, a bit shorter than the ACP but same fat bullet.
I have not looked, just mentioning it in passing, my last manual from 2000 speer did not have it listed so I guess it's fairly new on the scene.

I'm saving my pennies for one of these:

MVC-002F.jpg

and I hope to eventually be issued one of these :D

SigArms_P220R_lg.jpg

I might want to add that I already own a Taurus .357 snubby that I will be using as a carry weapon as well. Just trying to decide on the Auto's though. Keep all of the comments comming guys. Oh, and Im not a huge fan of the .45GAP cartridge and would like to stay with the .45acp auto's I mentioned.

Thanks
Sean....

i have an old ruger blackhawk .357 sa 3 screw as my backwoods cougar/methhead gun. most accurate handgun i've ever shot and it was built in 1971. what sold me on it was the fact that it is single action, it can take a stopping load or plink with 38. to save money. they don't make them like that anymore. at work i carry a sig p229 DAK 40 cal. that' is a very sweet gun a huge step-up from our old barreta 9's. i recently shot a friend's springfield armory 40 cal, what a cheap pos. the gun wasn't accurate, felt cheap it was a real dissapointment. if i weregoing to buy a semi-auto i'd go with a sig over anything else. they cost more but are so worth it.

Personally, I carry a Gold Cup.

sjd78 said:
I might want to add that I already own a Taurus .357 snubby that I will be using as a carry weapon as well. Just trying to decide on the Auto's though. Keep all of the comments comming guys. Oh, and Im not a huge fan of the .45GAP cartridge and would like to stay with the .45acp auto's I mentioned.

Thanks
Sean....
Kimber and 1911 clones all the way :) The Kimber is a great choice. What you get from them is a nice tight fitting firearm that will not fail you (keep in mind since it's made to be a tight fit, expect about 500 round break in). The craftsmanship on those is a lot higher quality then on similar priced colt's or springfields (and keep in mind that I'm not putting those two down, but Kimber just does it a bit better).
I have had a kimber (pro carry HD: wanted a steel frame) for over a year now and after the first 200 rounds it hasn't hiccuped once (and I have through it probably close to 4K~5K rounds). One upgrade that I will recommend though is Wilson Combat mags. Nice, reliable and they have the proper cant on the follower so that your semi auto will eat whatever you will want to feed it.

Kejtar said:
Kimber and 1911 clones all the way :) The Kimber is a great choice. What you get from them is a nice tight fitting firearm that will not fail you (keep in mind since it's made to be a tight fit, expect about 500 round break in). The craftsmanship on those is a lot higher quality then on similar priced colt's or springfields (and keep in mind that I'm not putting those two down, but Kimber just does it a bit better).
I have had a kimber (pro carry HD: wanted a steel frame) for over a year now and after the first 200 rounds it hasn't hiccuped once (and I have through it probably close to 4K~5K rounds). One upgrade that I will recommend though is Wilson Combat mags. Nice, reliable and they have the proper cant on the follower so that your semi auto will eat whatever you will want to feed it.

I am seriously leaning towards getting another Kimber. Nice to know about the wilson combat mags though. I wonder if they make them in the Ultra carry size...hmmm, I will have to research this!

Back