• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Canyonlands Campground vs. Slickrock

Handlebars

NAXJA Member #135
Who stayed at Canyonlands Campground or has visited it recently and can compare conditions there with Slickrock? It seems like Slickrock has taken a downward slide since it was put up for sale some 2 years ago. Canyonlands does have the advantage of being REALLY close to Moab's 2 grocery stores and a couple of auto parts stores. How receptive are they to campground wrenchfests? Does their plumbing usually work? Is the shower free with your campsite?

i've stayed at canyonlands the past 2 years... last year i'm not there were any naxja people didn't see any xj's from what i recall... this year poomba was next door and i met him while he was wrenching one night and i believe there may have been a coupla others there in rv's not sure tho... the drawback to gettin under ur jeep there is the pea gravel however the tent sites in the south east part of the campground are more dirt...

people that run the place are really nice there plus as you mentioned it's basically across the street from carquest, convenience store right there and the city market is just a blockish away...

showers are free and rest rooms are very clean...

hope that helps...

stace
aka SHINER

Since I've stayed at both, I'll chime in. Wrenching is fine, but kinda hard to be out of the roadway, when yer in cabins. The plumbing all works, and is free. The cabins are well maintained (4 bunk beds) but you bring your own bedding, they just have the matresses there. Heat works, air conditioner works. Hands down, it's better than slickrock. SLick hasn't put much money into the cabins as you noted. I could read a newspaper thru the 1950's era bed and bedsheet I was on when I stayed there a year ago. Costwise, might be a little more a night, but it was worth it.

I've stayed at both over the years
My opinion is that durring Easter Jeep Safari, Slick Rock is much louder than Canyonlands. For the last 6 years we have stayed at Cayonlands. As for Wrenching no problem, on site store is nice, pool is clean but no Jacuzis. We stayed at Slickrock for the Fall Fling, and we where pleasently supprised. The camping feeling with the fires and trees was really nice. No Camp fires allowed at Cayonlands
Both are good, but where going to try Slick rock for EJS 2005
Cruzzin_XJ

Cruzzin_XJ said:
No Camp fires allowed at Cayonlands
BOOOOOO, that's where I spent most most my nights was in front of a fire! That, a good beer (hmmmmm that homebrew stuff that was called #$%#$free was great) and good company, can't beat that.
Anyways, what is the degradation @ slickrock that you're referring to? the facilities seem to have improved (tiles vs that vinyl they had last year) and the cabins were pretty nice. My only complaint would be that they early morning crew didn't refill the paper towels for the early bird risers early enough, but that could happen anywhere.
Lastly, Slickrock folks seem to be very easy going on the prices and I"ll be staying htere next year as well (Actually I think I'll be giving them a call and making reserversations first thing tomorrow :D)

Kejtar said:
(Actually I think I'll be giving them a call and making reserversations first thing tomorrow :D)
I already tried. They told me they can't reserve for next year until after Nov 2nd. :nono:
Go figure...

Kejtar said:
My only complaint would be that they early morning crew didn't refill the Jerry Curl vat for the early bird risers early enough, but I just went with the picked out, nappy look for the fro.
Fixed it for you

I'm going to tell them that they need to replace the mattresses as everyone I've slept on I can feel the springs. I always bring my own comforter to keep warm as I usually have so much NAXJA stuff piled up in the cabin that if I did turn on the heater it would catch fire :flame: and burn to the ground! :wow: I like the ambience at SlickRock CG especially in the evening.

I've stayed at both, but I havn't been back to Slickrock in a few years. I think Canyonlands is alot nicer campground for the same price, I won't be staying at Slickrock anytime soon.

Sorry to say this, but...I saw the cabins at Slickrock. Not very impressed. Seem kinda dumpy to me. But hey, different strokes...

The cabins at www.archviewresort.com/basiccabins.html are much nicer. They have two different size cabins plus one large "El Grande" cabin. The only downside is that it's a few miles north of town.

xjohnnyc said:
Sorry to say this, but...I saw the cabins at Slickrock. Not very impressed. Seem kinda dumpy to me. But hey, different strokes...

The cabins at www.archviewresort.com/basiccabins.html are much nicer. They have two different size cabins plus one large "El Grande" cabin. The only downside is that it's a few miles north of town.
Archview's cabins are MUCH nicer. Toilet, shower and kitchenette in each. But the 10 minute drive is just too much of an inconvenience . For what it's worth, the company makes the difference to me. All I do is sleep in the thing.

Okie Terry said:
For what it's worth, the company makes the difference to me. All I do is sleep in the thing.

You said it best there Terry. I'll go where the people (party!) are (is!), Moab isn't just about offroading for me, it's also a chance to hang out with poeple from afar.

Okie Terry said:
For what it's worth, the company makes the difference to me. All I do is sleep in the thing.
Yeah I think I spent about 5 hours a day in my cabin and I remember only about 4:55 of it. So the 5 minutes I can put up with. Btw, also we're going camping (ok cabins is semi camping, I'm just too lazy to pitch a tent) and I don't need an in cabin bathroom and so on. FOr that I might as well check into the hotel. And again the fire ring and ability to have fires just makes the difference.

My chief complaint about Slickrock concerns the beds. Those mattresses are the worst. Next is how the showers are affected so easily by flushing toilets and running the sink faucets. It can go from nice and hot to ice cold.....back and forth several times during a shower.

Tom R. said:
My chief complaint about Slickrock concerns the beds. Those mattresses are the worst. Next is how the showers are affected so easily by flushing toilets and running the sink faucets. It can go from nice and hot to ice cold.....back and forth several times during a shower.
I found it helped with showers by waking up at 5:30 to 6:00AM. I was the only one in there 90% of the time.

Okie Terry said:
I found it helped with showers by waking up at 5:30 to 6:00AM. I was the only one in there 90% of the time.
You mean the daily dawn blaring of the Okie fight song didn't get you shower companions?

Remi, you keep mentioning fires. I'm going to contact the Westminster Fire Dept. and give them your name. We may have found the fire bug :flame: that has been terrorizing south L.A. for the last couple of years. You ol' :firedevil you!

Actually I agree with you all. The cabins suck but I don't stay there for the sleep. When I come with the family we stay in some condos just off the main drag. But with NAXJA in town that would put us out of the action.

Back