• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ignition coil rail for my 01

spencer elliott

NAXJA Forum User
im experiencing some misfires it seems and have been for some time. it rarely happens, but every once in a while when i start my 01 it seems to barely be idling at first. and the idle is not smooth. usually after a minute or two of driving it goes away and then i wont experience this problem again for a month or two.

i have never had any misfire issues with any other vehicle so i dont have any other experiences to compare this to. i have replaced the plugs on this XJ a couple of times within the last 5 years and always the same results. so i am to believe that my ignition coil rail may need replacing. so my questions are this:

has anyone replaced their ignition coil rail and successfully eliminated a misfire issue?

are there any specific MFGs of these rails that are better than others?

and where is a good place to get one? quadratec has one for $150, but im unsure of its quality.

any help is appreciated!

Doubt its the coil rail,more likely a fuel issue.Had a similar issue with my 2000.

Under what conditions does this happen? After the car has been sitting for a long period of time (i.e. overnight), or within about 15 minutes of having turned it off (while hot)? Are you throwing any engine codes?

The 2001 (and some 2000) XJs are notorious for a "heat soak" issue in which the #3 and/or #4 injectors go into vapor lock. This usually happens after the car has been driven for a while and is shut off for anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes (it will vary based on several factors). Most signs point to it being caused by the addition of pre-catalytic converters in 50-state emission model vehicles, which can contribute a lot of heat to the engine bay.

I deal with it all the time on my 2001, but have somehow not installed a fan timer yet...

it usually happens after sitting an hour or less now that i think about it

i dont remember it ever happening upon first start up of the day...

ill have to pay closer attention

i have no idea if its throwing any codes

Back