• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Parting out 93 Jeep Cherokee

ultimatejeep

NAXJA Forum User
I am parting out a 93 Jeep XJ Cherokee Sport 4x4. There are a lot of good parts left. Below is a short list.

AW4 Auto Trans - $250
Dana 30 Front Non Vac 3.55 - $250
Dana 35 Rear - $250
Factory Tire Carrier - $75
Drivers front door - $75
Drivers Rear Door - $75
Passengers Rear Door - $75
Rear Hatch w/ Glass - $125
Hood - $100
31" Dayton A/T's w/ rims - $350
2" Suspension Lift - $150
Front Header Panel - $125

Many other parts available also.

I don't know. I think just swapping parts with a grand cherokee involves taking out axle shafts and re drilling part of the backing plate. Whereas an entire axle swap I could theoretically just unbolt the old one and stick in the new one.

Having said that I think both projects would be time consuming and have their difficulties and knowing my luck, something would go wrong.

I don't know what gears I have. What ever came stock because I don't think they have ever been changed.

Mostly I want rear disc brakes for my XJ. I'm not particularly concerned about the which of the previously mentioned methods it takes to get them on.

Later down the road I'm going to want a D44 or some bigger axle. But my poor college kid budget can't afford that project in the near future.

I'm not an expert so forgive me if this seems like a dumb question but; for an entire axle swap as long the drive shift bolted to the axle just fine. then wouldn't gears not matter?

Again, sorry for the continued hijack....

Not a dumb question...I know cuz I ask plenty of them!...but if the gears in the rear axle don't match the gears in the front axle you're going to have problems. There should be a little metal tag on the side of your diff that will tell you what gears you have. If you get a rear axle that has already been converted you're going to have to worry about what gears it has in it. If the gearing doesn't match your front you're gonna need to change either the front or the rear to make them match. Not impossible, but not necessarily fun (we all have our own definition of fun though)...also might not be college kid budget friendly.

I would certainly do a search on here for the disk conversion to see how much is going to be involved.

Another option would be to just buy a Ford 8.8 out of an Explorer and have someone put it in. You get D44 strength, reasonable expense, AND rear disks. Most (if not all) of those have 4.10 gears so you will probably need to regear the front (unless you're one of the lucky few who got 4.10's to begin with).

Just some food for thought for you.

Ian

What gears are in the 35??

Dan
gmailsigbw.gif

Back