• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone in/near Telluride?

Telluride, "To hell you ride", is one of the most gorgeous Mt. towns in CO, IMHO. It's also the hangout for the extremely well off types, movie stars, etc. It hasn't been affordable for the average type for over 30 years. In the early 80's the town rehabilitated the old prostitute shacks behind the old bars and made them public housing, a couple of hundred square feet for $450 a month.

It's at 9000 feet. Not everyone can live at that altitude. If your wife has never been at altitude, you might want to check it out first. My wife took over a year to acclimate this last time, and she had lived her before. It's very snowy there, and will be quite cold to someone from the south. Even in the summer, the nights get cold enough to freeze the sweat on a very tall gin on the rocks. :)

I'd live there in a heartbeat if I could swing it.

Fred

We dreamed of living there as well when we relocated. Like already said...it's very nice but not everyone would be happy there. It's pretty isolated and you don't have all the creature comforts. I would love it but my gal probably wouldn't. It's extremely expensive to live there. There were teaching jobs there when we were moving but I still couldn't swing it. We looked at one house that was about 800 sq. feet with no garage and it was in the 250 thousand range. Wish I could live in an historic mining town like Telluride or Silverton but she wouldn't have it. Probably why she made me buy a house here in Woodland last week. Gotta go move more boxes. :) Good luck.

-river

A woman from the deep south to Telluride? Big time culture shock. Big time.

I'd live in Telluride... if could afford it. Last week Diesel was 3.59!!!

Great town. The wife and I spend our anniversay there every year (opening week of ski season) Best snow in CO.

My wife is from Evergreen, AL and she loves the mountains! Telluride is a beautiful town.

The thing I would be concerned about (and the reason why the wife vetoes living in a place like Telluride) is it's remoteness. It is more than 1.5 hours to a Wal-Mart. If you are accustomed to running to the mall/Home Depot etc. living in a place like Telluride takes some getting used to.

I would suggest spending a week there and see what you think. Try not just to be on vacation. Go to the local grocery, drive to Montrose (the nearest town with any of the stores you would be used to). See if you think the two of you would be able to live there or in the surrounding area.

Also, like everyone else mentioned, coming from AL will create some major sticker shock!

Glen

Hey Guys,
Thanks for all of the input. I think we've canned the idea of moving to Telluride for now. It was pretty much off when she found out there is only ~2500 people there! That's a little smaller than we'd like, regardless of what altitude it might be at. I'd like the mountains, but that is rather remote for us to schlep our 2 little kids along! CO may be an option in the future, but not likely Telluride, atleast not until I retire rich....like that will ever happen! We've both been to CO, and have enjoyed it. I think we'll need more people though!
Thanks again!

logdog said:
I think Ouray has 2501 people. :D
Yeah, I've planned two different trips to Ouray in the past (while I was going to school in San Francisco) and never made it there. I have no doubt it's gorgeous. Just not sure I can handle that much beaty 365 days a year!:sunshine:

Back