• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

O2 Sensor with 3-wires not 4-wires

JaysXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, Got a 87' 4.0, auto. Its been running very rich lately and I'm going to replace the O2 sensor on the exhaust down pipe. It is 3-wires! I thought all XJ O2 sensors were 4-wire. I got a print out of the FSM for an 88' and it says 4-wires. The colors, I think, are green, yellow and black. Just wondering if anybody would volunteer some more info on the 3-wire setup. Thanks...

I don't know what FSM you are using but the RENIX systems (what you have) use 3 wire O2s.

As an '87 your jeep is technically an AMC, and a haynes manual can be too generic when it comes to wiring diagrams

cheap O2? don't go there you will be buying another soon. Get a quality one and dont worry about it again.

Not saying your O2 isn't failing but a rich condition in a RENIX system is usually caused by the MAP sensor or a hole in the vacuum line leading to it.... you should look at that too.

jeep dealer probably isnt going to have one for that year, otherwise i'd say get an OEM one.

Bosch, Standard, NAPA's Echlin line, A/C delco....not sure what brand Autozone carries but they usually have several options, just don't go the cheapest.

A 3 wire O2 should be around the 80.00 dollar range.

RENIX (and a great deal of other) O2/HEGO sensors are 3-wire - a two-pole heater, and a self-grounding signal. O2 sensors can have anywhere from 2-5 wires, and there are also (early) 1-wire O2 sensors (these are not heated.)

For brands, I usually use AC/Delco or Borg/Warner, and I've not had trouble with either. You should be able to find one, the other, or both locally for $50-60 with a little digging.

5-90

Back