• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New XJ owner with questions

ifixthings

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all, just bought a 96 XJ 2.5L, 5spd, 4x4, 2door.

I've already looked through the last years worth of posts in here before posting this, and I'm still searching and browsing. This site unfortunately doesn't have stickies for known mods and upgrades like most sites, so finding the info I need is rather like browsing Facebook right now, do a search and hope you luck out....

Anywho, I've got a small list of upgrades already that I want to do. I'm going to do some of the more common things like removable doors, steering upgrade, etc.

I've also got some mods I've found that I want to do like the ZJ fuel tank, swap in vent windows into the doors, and if the gods ever see fit to drop the right XJ in my yard, the vented cargo windows as well.

So mods brings me to my first question. Does the 2.5 follow the same upgrades as the 4.0? Mine is a 96, and is apparently the first year for the MPI. As such, to me it looks like a -2 version of my buddies 4.0 in his 06 Wrangler. I ask so I know if the Neon injector upgrade will apply. If so, awesome.

Next question, and this is both OEM and mod at the same time, my XJ currently has the full height radiator. As in top of core support all the way down to the bottom. I'm a wrench by day, and parts slinger by night (I get to have lots more fun that way believe me) and I've been looking through my catalogs across the XJ year range, and notice that the half height radiator is more prevalent, and by end of production, the only offering.
Is there any reason I need to keep the full height radiator, or can I move to a half height? I'm looking at 3 core aluminum radiators on ebay (yes, I've seen the radiator comparison thread), and would love to move to one of those along with electric fans (2.5 only has 130hp. As spunky as this thing is, I'd like to free up another couple HP if possible, and ditching the mech fan is step 1).
If I can go to a half height, do I need to grab any brackets from the yard to move the mounting points up, or should the mounts already be there, probably just hidden behind the current cooler?

Next, I see a handful of references to intake and header/factory manifold swaps across the 4.0 range. Are there any intakes or factory manifolds/headers that would be a suitable swap for my 2.5 over the current '96 pieces?

Last but not least, I'm looking at a rear disc swap from the Liberty rear axle, and while it seems that the backing plates, hardware, calipers, etc are all direct swap, the only thing I didn't seem to find a DEFINITE answer on, do I NEED to swap the axle shafts and carrier, or is that optional? Odd's are I'd do it anyway just to grab an LSD, but would like to know if I could get away with just doing the LSD by itself.

That's it for the moment, looking forward to some answers and to start wrenching on this thing.

Also, forgot to ask. I keep seeing references to RENIX. But cannot find (yet) a definition on what that is. I'm guessing this is a reference to earlier year XJ?

Yours is not a Renix motor.
As far as radiators the 4.8 has always used the same design over the years, can't speak for the 2.5.
You need to determine what axle you have.

Never heard of most of the stuff you're talking about

The way these things overheat why would anyone want a half sized radiator? I've never even heard of one before this post

Vented cargo windows?
Vent windows in the doors?

I do dislike the driver door on my 96 -- The support for the divided window is right in my line of sight for the mirror -- Only option I see is to swap the door for a 97+ with the single front window -- problem is the latch mechanisms are different so it's not just a door swap

Where have I been for the last 3 years...

Last edited:
Axles look like d30 front w/o the vacuum actuator, and im guessing c8.25 rear. Gearing is 4.10 all around. She's pretty spunky for a 4cyl!

Never heard of most of the stuff you're talking about

The way these things overheat why would anyone want a half sized radiator? I've never even heard of one before this post

Vented cargo windows?
Vent windows in the doors?

Where have I been for the last 3 years...

Not half sized, but half height. I don't have the means to attach a picture right now, but Google search Murray 433871 vs Murray 432335. I have the first one currently. The 2nd one seems to be more prevalent. My catalogs only show the 2nd style by 01, and browsing Ebay brings up nothing but the 2nd one as well.

Older xj apparently had wing windows that opened on the front doors, and some 2 door models had a vent window at the front of the rear side windows. If you Google search xj vent windows you'll find both images. I already found the door vent windows on Ebay. I figure I prolly won't ever find the rear windows though.

You are correct but replacement parts are very hard to come by. I bought a '95 back in '05 and had a heck of a time locating stuff like that.
FH000004_zpsetwaopgv.jpg

WRT the radiators, I do not believe you will find anything that is "half height".

I believe what you are looking at is the early version radiators, like '84 to '86, when XJs came with Chevy V-6 boat anchors for motors. Those radiators, while taller, are not as wide as the radiators you will find in the majority of production years.

If you look at the images of the two versions you will note mounting pins on the bottom of the ones I believe you are calling "half height" and flanges on the sides of the other ones. Those are two substantially different mounting systems and you will not be able to go back and forth between them without doing some serious sheet metal work up front.

As to windows with opening vents, front or back, that is a matter of finding parts from another vehicle and swapping them in. Probably not a problem, other than the challenge of just finding them.

I am not aware of any intake/exhaust upgrades for the 2.5L. They may be out there somewhere, but it is not a popular performance motor.

The 4.10 axles are nice however. Take good care of those.

WRT the radiators, I do not believe you will find anything that is "half height".

I believe what you are looking at is the early version radiators, like '84 to '86, when XJs came with Chevy V-6 boat anchors for motors. Those radiators, while taller, are not as wide as the radiators you will find in the majority of production years.

If you look at the images of the two versions you will note mounting pins on the bottom of the ones I believe you are calling "half height" and flanges on the sides of the other ones. Those are two substantially different mounting systems and you will not be able to go back and forth between them without doing some serious sheet metal work up front.

As to windows with opening vents, front or back, that is a matter of finding parts from another vehicle and swapping them in. Probably not a problem, other than the challenge of just finding them.

I am not aware of any intake/exhaust upgrades for the 2.5L. They may be out there somewhere, but it is not a popular performance motor.

The 4.10 axles are nice however. Take good care of those.

Thank you!

Yeah for whatever reason it looks like the 4cyl only came with that "full" radiator. it's just a pain in my ass right now due to the cap flange somehow being worn enough that no cap sits tight. Previous owner had shimmed the cap using rubber gasket material, no bueno, so I need to find a new radiator. Sucks because it's not leaking anywhere, I just can't seal the cap.

I did already find 2 sets of ther door windows on Ebay, just a matter of spare cash at this point.

Over the next few months I'll be going over everything to make sure all the maintenance is current. I bought it from my neighbor, he generally keeps up on his cars, but you know the adage, trust noone.

Definitely take care of those axles. I looked for 2 years for a set in my neck of the woods.
Also I wouldn't be to concerned with the rear vent windows as I have them and never use them... Very minimal air flow.
I wouldn't mind having the front wing windows though...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Front wing windows are hard to find and people want an arm and a leg for them. I scored a set out of a late 80s XJ from a guy who was parting one out for 40 dollars along with a few other odds and ends. The passenger side wing window is like new but the driver's side is all worn out and I can't find parts for it anywhere.

Last edited:
They bolt right in place of the fixed windows. 2 Torx screws on top and a 10mm bolt behind the door card. Roll down the window remove the door card, remove those 2 torx screws and the 10mm bolt and rotate the fixed window to the rear, the whole division bar and window frame come out as one piece. Takes a bit of fanagaling and holding your tongue just right but it will come out.

I'm still running my fixed windows until I can find a way to overhaul this worn out wing window.

Taking care of the axles is easy. I don't plan to wheel this thing. Worst it'll see is some snowbanks and maybe a beach. My friends backyard lol.

All the FAQ's are listed in the FAQ and writeups...... it's it's own subforum
https://www.naxja.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=165

The 2.5 isn't worth sinking money into to try and get "performance" out of.

I would not ditch the mech fan for the electric. Most that have end up with more issues with it than anything.

Vent windows are a PITA. I have them on my MJ and hate them.

For the disc rears it's pretty straight forward, just need to get e brakes cables that work. You do not need to swap shafts or the carrier. I'd also just get a lunchbox in the rear, not a full LSD. Cheap easy and they work good.

All the FAQ's are listed in the FAQ and writeups...... it's it's own subforum
https://www.naxja.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=165

The 2.5 isn't worth sinking money into to try and get "performance" out of.

I would not ditch the mech fan for the electric. Most that have end up with more issues with it than anything.

Vent windows are a PITA. I have them on my MJ and hate them.

For the disc rears it's pretty straight forward, just need to get e brakes cables that work. You do not need to swap shafts or the carrier. I'd also just get a lunchbox in the rear, not a full LSD. Cheap easy and they work good.

Not really looking for performance upgrades per se, was just curious if there were any revision parts that would be better suited to what's on the motor now. Performance wise, she's not fast, but suitably spunky enough even for Milwaukee traffic. No qualms there.

Ive had vent windows in previous cars and trucks and always loved them. It's not a deal breaker to me, just something I miss, call it nostalgia

Back