• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer Case drain and fill Fears coming true?

having just rebuild my xfer case due to a rear pinion leak. I can say. you can change the chain without pulling the case.
in fact I recommend you do it this way.
if you want to do the bearings too. pull it.
its a days work.
You need a slide hammer and the special pliers.

I guess if the chain was loose enough it could be making a metal on metal sound due to engine vibration. I'm hesitant to blame the chain now, because it hear it when the vehicle is not moving.
The chain shouldn't be moving in that instance right?

A rattle under the floor console is typically worn out bushings in the 4x4 shift mechanism. The chain would only make noise if it was moving.

Applying some light downward pressure on the shift handle, or pulling up very slightly usually stops the rattle, and confirms that the shifter mechanism is the root cause. Naturally you need to also check that the exhaust is not making contact with the crossmember, or the unibody.

Last edited:
A rattle under the floor console is typically worn out bushings in the 4x4 shift mechanism. The chain would only make noise if it was moving.

Applying some light downward pressure on the shift handle, or pulling up very slightly usually stops the rattle, and confirms that the shifter mechanism is the root cause. Naturally you need to also check that the exhaust is not making contact with the crossmember of the unibody.

To me, the noise represents more of a light grinding than a rattle. I will check the shift handle and see if any change in its position alters the sound

I also want to put it in 4wheel drive and listen for the sound

I intend on fixing the exhaust resting on the cross member soon. I know that is making a noise. But I think it's different. In the mean time I want to put a wood door stop between the two, just to rule it out

Nothing inside the transfer case moves when the vehicle is stationary.

In 2wd drive mode, the chain turns with the front output yoke turns, so typically anytime the vehicle is moving & the front driveshaft installed. In this case its 'freewheeling' and not under load.

In 4wd move, the chain is under load as it's being 'driven' by the main shaft. The transfer case forces the front output yoke to turn.

All 'selection' and 'operation mode' is done by way of forks on the main output shaft which selectively engage or disengage the chain/front output.

The way the transfer case is built, the front output is 'direct drive' via the chain to 'main shaft'. So by way of mode selection, the front output/chain are either freewheeling or driven and this occurs by way of the forks on the main shaft side of the case.

This may make more sense if you ever split the case open.

Back