• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

swingout vs the rooftop

moparmatt

NAXJA Forum User
What do you all think is better? Rear tire carrier or a roof rack to mount a tire? Why? I also want to mount a Hi-Lift Jack 48"

I like the roof rack so I can mount lights front and back.
The only neg I can think of is drag and a higher center of gravity.
My rig is mostly used as a DD.

In advanced thanks for your input

what size tire? I know even a 33" tire can severely stress the stock roof rack even with a nice steel cargo rack up there. personally i would choose the swingout because it is way sturdier, gets you a beefy bumper, and doesnt require you to heave it up and down all the time. it also doesnt add drag, although it will put quite a bit of extra weight on your rear springs, as the tire is heavy, but also has quite a bit of leverage and will act as more weight than if it wre sitting on the floor in the cargo area. i used to use a rack with a 30" tire on the roof and i got about 17 mpg with my stock xj. took off the rack and tire and got 19-21 mpg...its a lot of drag

muddygp said:
what size tire? I know even a 33" tire can severely stress the stock roof rack even with a nice steel cargo rack up there. personally i would choose the swingout because it is way sturdier, gets you a beefy bumper, and doesnt require you to heave it up and down all the time. it also doesnt add drag, although it will put quite a bit of extra weight on your rear springs, as the tire is heavy, but also has quite a bit of leverage and will act as more weight than if it wre sitting on the floor in the cargo area. i used to use a rack with a 30" tire on the roof and i got about 17 mpg with my stock xj. took off the rack and tire and got 19-21 mpg...its a lot of drag

I am currently runnin' stock but when the time comes i will be running 31's

You make a good point that i never thought of. The rear spring weight while leveage is putting weight on it.
Do you think a rear tire carrier set up hurts the rear spring just as much as the roof rack setup?

I have a stock swing out and I like it but like you I looked into mounting onto the roof. I bought a roof rack off ebay (zacatal? rac) piece of shit... made of electrical conduit and poorly welded... but stuck with it so I cut up a thule rack I had and mounted it onto that. I can stand on it so weight is not an issue... with a swing out you will need to relocate your licence plate lighting... also I would have gone for a heavy duty rear bumper and dropped my stock as well as the class two hitch I have... gone for an integrated gitch bumper set up.

moparmatt said:
What do you all think is better? Rear tire carrier or a roof rack to mount a tire? Why? I also want to mount a Hi-Lift Jack 48"

I'd vote for the roof rack, which is how I ended up doing it having looked at both. In order to go with a swing-out, there's basically two options: OEM or aftermarket. OEM's the cheapest - swing-outs can be found in the junkyard. The downside is that they can't handle much over a 31" tyre as they're just not designed for more weight. Aftermarket was considerably more expensive as it would involve replacing the rear bumper at the same time, something I'm not looking to do right now.

I like the roof rack so I can mount lights front and back.

Another plus for the roof rack - not to mention extra useful carrying capacity.

The only neg I can think of is drag and a higher center of gravity.
My rig is mostly used as a DD.

More drag, definitely, but not noticeably so. Higher COG doesn't seem to have been much of an issue with my setup - but on a DD, a rack plus lift means you might not be able to clear some parking garages. It's for exactly this reason that my spare lives flat inside the cargo area around town and only goes up on the roof if I know I'm going to need the space.

My recommendation would be the Surco 45"x60" rack. The mounts are sold separately, and the ones you'll need are dependent on whether you have the early or later roof rails. They also have a tyre carrier, Hi-Lift mount, and light brackets available. Apart from the light brackets, this is the setup I'm usng and am very happy with it. I plan on adding the axe & shovel mount at some point in addition to the extra flooring kit - the flooring that it comes with is spaced slightly too widely apart to securely hold a standard NATO can in place for my liking, even with ratchet straps. Having said that, my rack's carried the spare, 60lbs. of firewood, my 48" Hi-Lift, and 10 gallons of gas without issue on several desert trips, one of which covered approximately 130 miles. Very happy with it.

One thing I will add: do not, under ANY circumstances, get a roof rack that clamps onto the factory crossbars. They're not designed to hold more than about 150lbs. total, and a 31" spare takes up close to half of that number alone; attach to either the roof rails or gutters.

Indiana,

How often have you been close to rolling over versus flipping nose over tail?

Its all about your cg and what represents the least risk. If nose over tail is the biggest risk then use a roof mount. If rolling over to the side is a bigger risk then choose the swing out.

A 31 will fit inside and so will a 48" high lift (lots of mounting options, just search the forum). If you go on two or three day trips with a 31" and need the inside space then an external mount makes sense but choose based on what is least risky. Do you really use the rear seating on wheeling trips? Do you need the inside storage for long trips? If you really dont use the rear seats on wheeling trips then a 33 or 35 will easily fit inside, low and near the center. Its not about bling-bling and the mall its about what you need on the trail when the pucker factor is high.

John

All I know is that a 35 inch tire with a steel rim would be a BIT$* to get off the top of a jeep lifted to fit such a tire. I think swing out tire carriers are the better choice. Although, I also don't like rolling over and I'd like to keep my COG as low as possible for crawling.

casm said:
I'd vote for the roof rack, which is how I ended up doing it having looked at both. In order to go with a swing-out, there's basically two options: OEM or aftermarket. OEM's the cheapest - swing-outs can be found in the junkyard. The downside is that they can't handle much over a 31" tyre as they're just not designed for more weight. Aftermarket was considerably more expensive as it would involve replacing the rear bumper at the same time, something I'm not looking to do right now.

Another plus for the roof rack - not to mention extra useful carrying capacity.

More drag, definitely, but not noticeably so. Higher COG doesn't seem to have been much of an issue with my setup - but on a DD, a rack plus lift means you might not be able to clear some parking garages. It's for exactly this reason that my spare lives flat inside the cargo area around town and only goes up on the roof if I know I'm going to need the space.

My recommendation would be the Surco 45"x60" rack. The mounts are sold separately, and the ones you'll need are dependent on whether you have the early or later roof rails. They also have a tyre carrier, Hi-Lift mount, and light brackets available. Apart from the light brackets, this is the setup I'm usng and am very happy with it. I plan on adding the axe & shovel mount at some point in addition to the extra flooring kit - the flooring that it comes with is spaced slightly too widely apart to securely hold a standard NATO can in place for my liking, even with ratchet straps. Having said that, my rack's carried the spare, 60lbs. of firewood, my 48" Hi-Lift, and 10 gallons of gas without issue on several desert trips, one of which covered approximately 130 miles. Very happy with it.

One thing I will add: do not, under ANY circumstances, get a roof rack that clamps onto the factory crossbars. They're not designed to hold more than about 150lbs. total, and a 31" spare takes up close to half of that number alone; attach to either the roof rails or gutters.

Thanks, AWSOME points
I haul a lot of stuff for my job (i work construction it's not long term though)and once a year my family goes camping not wheeling (i know :( ) so the extra storge is very useful. NOW eventually for the long term i do plan on doing a wheeling trip with my cj/yj buddies in the next few years, we are still in college:lecture: but do the few hour wheelin' about once or twice a month if that.

I would like a lift first with some meats $$$$$$$ i will put that surco rack on my list to get :laugh:

nosigma said:
Indiana,

How often have you been close to rolling over versus flipping nose over tail?

Its all about your cg and what represents the least risk. If nose over tail is the biggest risk then use a roof mount. If rolling over to the side is a bigger risk then choose the swing out.

A 31 will fit inside and so will a 48" high lift (lots of mounting options, just search the forum). If you go on two or three day trips with a 31" and need the inside space then an external mount makes sense but choose based on what is least risky. Do you really use the rear seating on wheeling trips? Do you need the inside storage for long trips? If you really dont use the rear seats on wheeling trips then a 33 or 35 will easily fit inside, low and near the center. Its not about bling-bling and the mall its about what you need on the trail when the pucker factor is high.

John

You are most right my friend
nosigma said:
Its not about bling-bling and the mall its about what you need on the trail when the pucker factor is high.

You need to take a trip to the midwest some time ALL FLAT for the most part. Most offroading out here is MUDDIN' or forest trails and most recent snow. I am going to have to borrow my friends camera and show my bumber sticker it reads "DAILY DRIVER If I roll it, I'm Screwed" I will not put my self at risk YET :roll: :firedevil HAHA :laugh:

I don't mean to sound like a Jerk I appreate your advice. After college I would like to move out west and experence a wider verity of offroading Moab or bust

nosigma said:
A 31 will fit inside

I've got to disagree with this - at least in my experience. No matter how I jigged it, I couldn't make a 31" (well, 245/75R16, really) spare fit in the stock location, period. It seems to have not been an issue for just about everyone else, but there are a couple of us who have run into this problem.

and so will a 48" high lift (lots of mounting options, just search the forum).

True... But do you really want a 50-plus pound chunk of metal potentially flying around inside? I know we're talking about securing it, but it's one of those things I'd much rather not have in the cabin if things go wrong. Incidentally, I made a Hi-Lift mount a couple of years ago for about ten bucks that would attach it to the stock roof rails; the original post is here.

I've got a 31x10.50 spare, 48" hi-lift, 10" sub (12" wide box), amp, straps, fluids, spare parts and trail bag all in my cargo area, plus some coveralls and extra shoes. It's very doable. Don't worry about the hi-lift getting anywhere. Lay the jack down and then the tire on top of it. Ratchet strap the tire to your cargo tie downs and call it good. Nothing is going to move. I'll snap some pics tomorrow if you need 'em. It's all about space management.

I fit a 35" Dunlop mud rover tire flat in the cargo area with the rear seat up and locked in place. Sure it is a tight fit but it keeps the hatch from rattling. It is bolted to the floor via 3 legs and the C02 bottle rack and would keep the tire in place during a roll over or crash.

It keeps my CG as low as possible and with my roof at 6'1" I would not want to lift a 35" tire and rim up there or even get it down. I built a platform that still allows a flat section for storing items. I use this area for my tool boxes that their own spot and are held down with eye hooks and bungee cords, my 48" high lift sits in a cradle and is held down in the same manor. The added bonus with a 12.5" wide tire I can store 1 gallon jugs of liquid under the platform.

There are several reasons why I went with the tire inside besides those above.

1. I am a cheap bastard and didn't want to spend 400 - 600 bucks on well built bumper and tire carrier.

2. I would hate to come off a ledge and have the tire hit the ledge and trying to support the back half of the XJ.

3. I like to see out my back window.

Just my .02 for what it is worth.

We're actually developing an affordable alternative which is projected to be
available the 1st of the year, complete with recovery points as well.

If you're looking for votes, I say keep it off your roof, its not doing you any
favors up there.

Lunatic728 said:
I fit a 35" Dunlop mud rover tire flat in the cargo area with the rear seat up and locked in place. Sure it is a tight fit but it keeps the hatch from rattling. It is bolted to the floor via 3 legs and the C02 bottle rack and would keep the tire in place during a roll over or crash.

It keeps my CG as low as possible and with my roof at 6'1" I would not want to lift a 35" tire and rim up there or even get it down. I built a platform that still allows a flat section for storing items. I use this area for my tool boxes that their own spot and are held down with eye hooks and bungee cords, my 48" high lift sits in a cradle and is held down in the same manor. The added bonus with a 12.5" wide tire I can store 1 gallon jugs of liquid under the platform.

There are several reasons why I went with the tire inside besides those above.

1. I am a cheap bastard and didn't want to spend 400 - 600 bucks on well built bumper and tire carrier.

2. I would hate to come off a ledge and have the tire hit the ledge and trying to support the back half of the XJ.

3. I like to see out my back window.

Just my .02 for what it is worth.

That sound like an idea, I can wait on getting what i really want $$$$$
but i would like to try and build a platform and see if that is really want i want.
I have seen other platforms before on websites i will have to do some research and go thought my favorites. I recall that some one built one to sleep on because the rear cargo with the seat down was too small for him to sleep comfortably on.

If it is possible could you post some of your pics of your platform(s). Others would be great too.

I have a 31 on a modified stock swing out (reinforced body, bumper, raised the tire 7" pulled it in a couple inches and put on a tire skid so I dont get hung up coming off of ledges). I also mount a 48" high lift on the swing out (vertical mount). I really dont like the way it wheels, being tail heavy, but I dislike the tippiness with the spare on the roof even more. The best of all worlds for me is to put the tire in the cargo area along with the jack. This works fine until a multi-day trip with the wife and daughter where I need every cubic inch for other stuff and then the spare and jack go on the swing out. See th picture below:

RubiconTrip109.jpg

XJ's wheel so much better with a light tail. You can really feel the difference (all bad) with the tire and jack on the swing out. Its its worse with the spare on the roof.

A 31" should fit no problem in the stock location...it did for me when I ran those.

My 33" tire is bolted to a floor mounted tire carrier, the co2 bottle is now mounted where the spare used to be. The rear seat is out of the rig entirely and there is now a cargo box bolted to the floor containing all the trail spares and equipment. This moved a lot of weight to the middle of the truck

Basically, this has kept the CG as low as possible, the weight is well distributed and I can see over everything in the rig and out the windows. It also improved my fuel economy when I ditched the roof rack and moved everything inside.

Unless you're dragging around more than 2 people and need to move things outside, bolt them down inside and keep your cg low and the ouside uncluttered. It's also less inviting for thieves, keeps your stuff from rusting and suffering in the elements.

My 2 centavos....

nosigma said:
I have a 31 on a modified stock swing out (reinforced body, bumper, raised the tire 7" pulled it in a couple inches and put on a tire skid so I dont get hung up coming off of ledges). I also mount a 48" high lift on the swing out (vertical mount). I really dont like the way it wheels, being tail heavy, but I dislike the tippiness with the spare on the roof even more. The best of all worlds for me is to put the tire in the cargo area along with the jack. This works fine until a multi-day trip with the wife and daughter where I need every cubic inch for other stuff and then the spare and jack go on the swing out. See th picture below:

RubiconTrip109.jpg

XJ's wheel so much better with a light tail. You can really feel the difference (all bad) with the tire and jack on the swing out. Its its worse with the spare on the roof.

Im with you on many ways in this post, if you currently dont hang your spare
off a tire carrier, you'll be surprised by the difference, thus why we dont offer
Hi-Lift mount/Jerry can mount, adding to the difference in driving characteristics......

Best off-set, is a winch up front to offset the weight, it will feel heavy yet
balanced.

nosigma said:

RubiconTrip109.jpg

Sorry to high jack but want tyre are you running as your spare there? How is the road noise and handling too please compared to say a BFG AT if you have used one?

Back