• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SEPTEMBER 2013 ROTM SUBMISSION THREAD

XJLI

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry guys, I dropped the ball this month. New job among other things and I totally forgot to post this on the 25th and I forgot to post a reminder about the theme for this month, which is probably my favorite of the year. So I expanded the time limit for a better opportunity for pics... just don't submit a pic that has won a previous ROTM! Also, holy poop its gonna be september.

This month's theme: Overland - A picture of your jeep next to your home base for a trip into the wild. No KOA or park type pics! Way off the beaten path adventures only. Post up the location please! And a short description of your trip/gear if you'd like!

All other rules also apply

The rest of the standard rules apply!

Must be an XJ/MJ based vehicle.
Submissions must be placed in the official ROTM submission thread.
Red letter names only.
First 5 submissions will be voted on.
One or two pictures. Pics must be hosted by the submitter, and sized properly for forum viewing.
NOTE: High resolution versions of the winning rig's pictures submitted must be provided. The original picture file MUST be provided upon winning ROTM, no re-sized or altered pictures will be allowed.
Pictures must be recently taken, maximum of 2 years old allowed.
No copyrighted photos will be allowed. Photo credits and compensation for their use will NOT be provided.
Winning rig must provide permission to use the pictures as sees fit. If you are not the owner/photographer of the picture, their permission must be available in writing (via PM ok). FAILURE TO TO DO SO WILL RESULT IN FORFEITURE OF ROTM TITLE!
Winning rigs will be ineligible for the remainder of the calendar year.
Winner will be featured on the front page of

Only one picture will be selected for the forum front page and calendar, but an additional one can be used to showcase your rig for voting.

PLEASE PM ME after you have won and send me the links to the pictures you used, HIGH RES ONLY. If you don't PM, I'll PM you to remind you. If I don't get the pictures after one week of the poll closing, you forfeit the win and the second place finisher is now the winner... and so on.

i didnt get to do my camping trip this year either, so i cant even enter. and i dont have any other pics from last year.

cmon guys, pics from the last 2 years are valid!

2002 Grand Cherokee Overland :D Just in case nobody with a Cherokee has gone anywhere with said Jeep this year.

Yes, this is my Jeep at a fully set up campsite, along the Harris Wash road in the canyons of the Escalante, during my Hunt for Redbud II trip this Spring. Less is more.
orig.jpg

The past 2 years I have engaged in a week long "April Fool's Hunt for Redbud Trees". So named because the goal is to see the redbud trees in Lake Powell's Sevenmile Canyon while they are blooming. I estimate they will bloom sometime around April 1 but still have not made it to the bottom of the canyon at the proper time of year to see. I originally discovered the trees on a houseboat trip, in October when the bloom was long past but the distinctive seed pods made the trees obvious. You can see one of the trees, bearing the seed pods in the left side of this photo:
orig.jpg

It also gives you an idea of the beauty this canyon has to offer. Never mind the other people, they were part of a photography workshop that was visiting the canyon at the same time, they let me tag along for free. :)

Anyways, the past 2 attempts to get into Sevenmile from the land have been unsuccessful. In 2012 I discovered that it was more than a simple hike to get into the canyon. 2013's trip included my first experience with rappelling (I am hooked in a big way now!), we still did not make it all of the way down the canyon to where the trees are. Next year I may resort to paddling my kayak the 16 miles from Blue Notch or a power boat rental, we will have to see.

Among other goals for this week-long trip was the placement of the Loneliest Geocache in America. It went up in the Kaiparowits Plateau, you can read about the trip on Expedition Utah.

Back to the camp setup. Spring time in the Southwest always comes with high winds. Here in New Mexico we joke about our 4 seasons: Summer, Fall, Winter and Wind. So yes, that is what my windproof camp looks like. That particular evening featured 40 mph wind, I slept like a baby in the back of my Jeep, on top of that ridge with a 360 degree view, after getting sandblasted at the Cosmic Ashtray. My camp cot is on the roof, still packed in its bag. On those clear, wind-free nights I simply plop the cot on the ground, throw my Thermarest and bag on it and konk out. It is a 5 minute deal. It served well visiting several other canyons throughout the week. We also drove into Poison Sprigs Canyon to hike Happy Canyon, visited Smith Fork on Lake Powell and did come canyoneering at Leprechaun Canyon in North Wash.

Too bad only 2 photos are allowed. :D How about you XJ drivers... have you gone anywhere this year?

Back