• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gorrilla la Dos

GordoSmasho

Nevada Raisins
NAXJA Member
Figured im starting another chassis build even though it will have the same components underneath. Its going to be a fresh start for me to do all the reinforcements i wanted to do before i started wheeling the rig.

So the plan for this rig is to do frame stiffeners front to rear. So far i have tnt mid, dirtbound rear, and some fronts i found on ebay. I will also be doing boatsides with 2x6 sliders welded in. Then i will be doing an xo fab hybrid cage and rear quarter armor. Ill be building my own front bumper and modifying my current crock4x4 rear bumper. Gonna be doing a rear cut and fold and clearancing for the 37s with a bit more finesse and planning. So. Fist off a few pics

5ab887dce84247f15736719b059e8991.jpg

084feae0c0a1f1a9a39198591ecfa668.jpg

Here is my starting point. 97 two door 2wd auto with a blown head gasket and 150k miles. It had a tree fall on the cowl area so the a pillars need a little massaging. That will be done before the cage goes in.

So today i dove in and found the problem with the head gasket. Found the culprit for sure. I did a mps felpro premium gasket when i threw it back together. New head-bolts and gaskets all around. Not sure if ill keep this motor in here but i want to get it running first and see how it runs.
e1b77d1395f9ecfe76b47a6938038858.jpg

82dfcb982e4aeaa8080aad669228db0b.jpg

8a2beed62575ef3c3c9abdda6516401d.jpg

Got it all sealed back up tonight. Gonna do the water pump and water neck in. The morning and fire it up tomorrow. Ill keep updating. If all goes well ill be welding in the stiffeners this week.

Got her back up and running. It runs like a champ. It has 191k on the clock. Definitely a keeper as far as the engine goes. It has quite a bit less valve train noise than my current rig. And the power steering is nice and quiet.

acc56549874dcd6554baa974e9fe4097.jpg

Now on to getting it prepped for stiffeners.

So here is my current stiffeners. I will be modifying them considerably. The middles are from tnt. I will be adding 1/2 nuts on the back side to add on belly skids and a traction bar mount for the rear axle.

f50ac3e3d6785c1a3070abd4a70a398e.jpg

Rears are a multi piece setup from dirtbound. I think next round of stiffeners for my camping ring will be a set from dirtbound. I really like this design but i already had the middle and front stiffeners.
8af4e86cab3ee43ac479d0ebf89dc426.jpg

Here are the fronts. I will be adding to these so they wrap around the bottom of the frame. These are an ebay special.
e8133bb23ed59ab649998a95370e05ed.jpg

I also found these insane rear bumper tie in brackets. Delivered for $100. So beefy. I really like this style. I buckled my frame on my current rig right in front of the bumper mounts. So i wanted it to be a bit more robust this time around.
e2e859b65b8dc3dd0396bf93fdb27ddf.jpg

Im also ordering ironman4x4fab no lift shackle boxes. Those will be tied into the rear stiffeners and ill be beefing um the front spring mounts and tying them into the mid stiffeners. My current units are crushing up into the floor and make a ton of noise on the trail.

Into the air she goes. Going to start stripping the frame coating and welding this all up.
c02c378d91dae62a5d110e779b2f14fd.jpg

What brand are those bumper mounts. I've been searching for a good set but couldnt find any I liked.

8096e564f9313bc9cd854b4de71418a4.jpg

I hate welding to these unibodies. But 1/6th completion today. Still need to do a small strip under the trac bar area to tie into the thicker layer underneath. Should go smoother on the passenger side tomorrow.

I run those bumper tie ins and really like them. Piece of mind when you have that. 25 plus unibody pls 10 gauge stiffiners plus a gas tank skid....
As a forwarning I did require longer bottom bolts with my setup.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I run those bumper tie ins and really like them. Piece of mind when you have that. 25 plus unibody pls 10 gauge stiffiners plus a gas tank skid....
As a forwarning I did require longer bottom bolts with my setup.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

At least these are a standard bolts i can get practically anywhere...
i will definitely not be worried with these tie ins. Ill have a skid and shackle boxes. There will be alot of beef in that area.

Got the passenger front done. Had to spend some time straightening the bumper mount region as it was smashed in from an accident just like my other two door. All in it took about two hours of fitting and welding per side. Ill move on to the mid and rear next week. No pics from today.

looking good dude

thats nice little two door. My mom has a 97 4 door that only has 56k miles on it that i am dying to get my hands on!!

thats nice little two door. My mom has a 97 4 door that only has 56k miles on it that i am dying to get my hands on!!

dude that is amazing ! 56K ? Like finding gold

I love that you are doing a redo of a two door, your signature rig, bringing all of your knowledge, skill and expertise to it. Reno Fest a too aggressive timeline for his completion?

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Hey Gordo, want my d70-u for your new toy? I'll donate it to you if you can figure out how to get it from here to you. :D

I love that you are doing a redo of a two door, your signature rig, bringing all of your knowledge, skill and expertise to it. Reno Fest a too aggressive timeline for his completion?

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Definitely too soon. Im shooting for it to be a quick swap over before next winter. That way i have a good readily wheel-able rig for snow. Going to get all the chassis upgrades before i swap over the drive train.

Back