• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Photography

goodburbon

NAXJA Forum User
So we finally encouraged my wife to try to sell some of her photos at the local flea market. She's really talented with the lens.

So she proceeded to put together a portfolio of her work in small format so that perspective buyers could choose what they like, we could have it printed and ready for purchase the following week. She also ordered some larger prints of her better photos for display.

THE STORE REFUSED TO PRINT HER PHOTOS! They said they had to have a release from the photographer before they could print them, She tried to explain that she was the photographer, and they said that she couldn't prove it(it was an online order, and the store called her). So she drove to the store, showed them the camera, and some examples of her work. They had her sign the release, and all is well.

I think this is a good sign, her photos were too professional to print.:yelclap:

I'll see if I can get an example out of her that she is willing to share for free.:kissyou:

This thread is useless without pics.

nakedbaby004sepiaglow.jpg

goodburbon said:
I think this is a good sign, her photos were too professional to print.:yelclap:

I think it's a sign that you need to find another place to print the photos.

But that's cool, good for her!

She's not too keen on just throwing her pics out there with no recognition and no tracability.

Nice pics Ghost, but she's worried about her pics just running around willy nilly on the internet.

Thanks Doug!

goodburbon said:
She's not too keen on just throwing her pics out there with no recognition and no tracability.

Nice pics Ghost, but she's worried about her pics just running around willy nilly on the internet.

Thanks. If she's worried about that she should put copywrites on them. Either have them pasted directly on the image itself and/or put into the file itself (watermarked).

If they are stolen and used, copywrite infringement cases make for some good money :-X

Copyrighting costs $45 per artwork, I can't afford to copyright every picture, and it is not an automatic thing. Its really not geared for a small artist.

http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

For example, in the USA, almost everything created privately and originally after April 1, 1989 is copyrighted and protected whether it has a notice or not. The default you should assume for other people's works is that they are copyrighted and may not be copied unless you know otherwise.

Basically, the second you create something, it is automatically copyrighted

IntrepidXJ said:
http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

Basically, the second you create something, it is automatically copyrighted

That's not what that says at all. It says you should ASSUME everything is copyrighted, not that it is, and if it is, and it is created post 1989 it should have the notice printed on it.

When is my work protected?
Your work is under copyright protection the moment it is created and fixed in a tangible form that it is perceptible either directly or with the aid of a machine or device.

Do I have to register with your office to be protected?
No. In general, registration is voluntary. Copyright exists from the moment the work is created. You will have to register, however, if you wish to bring a lawsuit for infringement of a U.S. work. See Circular 1, Copyright Basics, section “Copyright Registration.”

http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html#mywork

If YOU create something, the second it's created it is copywrited. YOU created it, you own it. That's how photographs go, I'm not sure about other things. If you look on Deviant Art, every image automatically has a Copywrite notice assigned to it.. Click here:

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/37859453/

Look under the photo: "©2006 ~GhostDakota"

Also 'bourban let me tell you why I don't mind putting my images on the web...

If you notice the max size I've got there is 1024 x 768 JPEG - you can't really do anything with a photo of such low resolution - about the worst theft that could happen is the USPS stealilng my photos for postage stamps.

I have the masters, I control the masters. I can print up to at least 20" x 30" - nobody else has quality images for that ;)

goodburbon said:
....she's worried about her pics just running around willy nilly on the internet.

I was going to "edit":) the picture of your kid - in a funny way.

However, I vaguely remember you posting something about you being very comfortable with guns…. :eek:

=

Helpful

IntrepidXJ said:

thanks!,

Not

IntrepidXJ said:
you really need some better reading/comprehension skills :rolleyes:

I have good comprehension skills, I saw a word in there "almost", and took the word notice to mean a copyright symbol, or a "notice" to the public. In the following sentence on that website "The default you should assume for other people's works is that they are copyrighted and may not be copied unless you know otherwise" it does not imply that things are automatically copyrighted, only that you should assume that works are copyrighted even if they may not be

thanks all!

Back