• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My day at left hand

My wife and I found him, please send him your prayers that he pulls through.

Whoa....... that's great that you were on that trail and able to find and help him. He very well could have been there quite a long time...... not a lot of folks 'wheeling up there on a Monday.

Go buy the guy a lottery ticket and bring it to him at the hospital...... :thumbup:

Good on ya Dutch!

good work, Dutch. That guy's damn lucky you came along on a fairly shitty weekday...

That would be it. We found him a little ways up on the hill right where it first gets narrow and steep. I pushed the quad off of him and made a quick check of his condition/injuries. I then left my wife with him to keep him company and keep him talking while I hauled ass back down to the road to try and get a signal. When my cell phone was still useless I waved down and stoped two cars. I gave them a quick summary of what happened and asked them to call 911 as soon as they had a signal.

I then hauled back to Dave (the guy who was hurt) and informed him that I hadn't been able to call 911 but had been able to flag some people down who where going to get help. I then took my hoodie and gortex and covered him up. I then took his cell phone which had a different carrier provider and tried calling 911 again. I got to the trail head and managed to get with 911. They confirmed help was on the way and I gave them a bit more info before I lost signal again. I then headed back up to relay to Dave and my wife that help was indeed enroute.

After that I headed back to the trail head to wait for the emergency workers. As they started to arrive I took a paramedic with his trauma kit up to Dave and then returned to the trail head where I was loaded up with more gear and two more responders. I took them up as well as guided the LHC Fire/Rescue HMMWV up to where Dave, my wife, and the first emt were.

By that time they had organized a bit and rocky mountain search and rescue had shown up in force. I had marked on a map for them where Dave was located and they followed me and the HMMWV up on foot. I then helped get Dave onto the litter while my wife had been turned into a human saline bag holder. At that point I was pulled aside so that the wife and I could write down our info and a brief description of what happened. Then we went back down and loaded the jeep back onto the trailer. Once they got Dave loaded into the ambulance and took him down to the air lift site we headed home and barbecued our hot links in the driveway.

It was definitely an experience and not at all what we had planned for the day. We almost cancelled going and even then I wasn't going to do big momma hill but I wound up going up it anyways and I'm glad I did. This isn't the first time I've been a part of something like this but it was the first time I was by myself in this kind of situation. I'm really glad we got him down and keep checking the news to see if there are any updates on his condition.

If that's not big momma hill then the guy was really lucky I took a wrong turn thinking I was heading up it.

Yeah, 286C is Big Momma Hill. Just a couple of weeks ago a couple other from COJeeps and I witnessed a fellow take a 100ft barrel roll down that hill on an ATV. Well, he was on it when it started to roll at least. He was descending one of the rock obstacles on the hill. He was below the ATV as it rolled 5 times, I'd say. He was able to get himself up and the ATV stopped. I ran down to help him, fortunately he was ok. Bars were bent way down but we got them pulled back up enough for him to continue on his way.

What was even crazier when next his buddy in shorts/tennis shoes decided to go ahead and drop the obstacle that just nearly killed his buddy! Ballsy.

Good on you for helping in a timely manner. I don't imagine there were many people at all planning to run Big Momma Hill this morning. He's fortunate that you guys found him.

Back