NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Chapters > Colorado Chapter > Colorado Trip Reports
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Colorado Trip Reports A place to post up details after an adventure.

Old May 3rd, 2010, 15:19
NAXJA Forum User

Spring Creek May 2

Well, I and 5 others from the Colorado School of Mines all got together and planned to run red elephant/mill creek/bill moore lake trail system yesterday. But since none of us had run it from the red elephant side, we ended up getting lost in the maze of trails at the bottom. So, feeling like idiots, we just decided to run spring creek because we knew for sure where it was.

We had 2 xjs (I drive the red one), a heavily modified wrangler, an S-10, an xterra, and a relatively stock grand cherokee. Only the wrangler, the S-10 and I had lockers so we were hesitant about running spring creek, but it ended up going pretty well. Only the stock-ish grand cherokee had to turn around, and everybody else made it just fine.

So, enough talk. It's time for pictures!

Airing down & disconnecting

The wrangler coming up the 1st obstacle

Most of the group

My friend Justin (who I went to moab with) coming around the paint-eating rock

Me coming around the rock

Ha, in this picture I'm only on 2 wheels. My friend Brandon came up behind me and was rocking me up & down with just his hand

The other xj coming around the rock

The paint-eating rock almost made a meal of the grand cherokee

After going up the first obstacle, we got hungry so we decided to eat. As we were finishing up it started to lightly snow, and we decided to turn around because it was getting kind of late and we didn't want to come down the 1st obstacle when it was real wet

This is brandon coming down and around the rock at the bottom of the obstacle and doing a little wheelstand

Justin getting a tire in the air

I was the 2nd to last in the line, and in just that short time it started snowing real hard

It was real slick coming down the face (I slid nearly all the way down it)

Finally, when BJ came around the rock he had this massive wheelstand

Once we were all down, we headed back in the snow
Old May 3rd, 2010, 15:29
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Spring Creek May 2

Looks fun. Can't wait to run it this year. Never been.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 15:29
NAXJA Forum User

Eeeek that one scares me!
Old May 3rd, 2010, 15:38
NAXJA Member

Ok, just to clear it up...... you didn't actually run Spring Creek to the end - just up the entrance obstacle and back out right?

I'm wanting to know if there's still snow up around or past the rock garden.....

End of Watch: Jeffco: MC1, 1312 & 0369. Yucca-Man 1215...... Rest easy brothers, we've got it from here. -----
Old May 3rd, 2010, 16:11
NAXJA Forum User

Looks like a good trail. I'd like to run it...
Old May 3rd, 2010, 16:52
NAXJA Forum User

Yeah, we just ran the first portion of it. It wasn't too snowy at the time, but it was snowing pretty hard when we left so there might be something up there now
Old May 3rd, 2010, 20:30
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by YELLAHEEP View Post
Ok, just to clear it up...... you didn't actually run Spring Creek to the end - just up the entrance obstacle and back out right?

I'm wanting to know if there's still snow up around or past the rock garden.....
Actually to clarify even more "the slab" as I have heard it been called or the 1st obstacle isn't even part of Spring Creek. Over the years people just run that as the 1st obstacle as it is the most difficult obstacle up in that area. The actually sign for the start of "Spring Creek" is a big metal cut out sign that has now fallen to the ground and is a ways up the road past the large open area and the "T" in the trail indicating to go right.

Last year Marc, Kstutz and my self got past the slab the actual 1st and 2nd obstacle and was snowed in right before the Rock Garden. That was May 17th. Went back up with Jawa, kstutz again, and Stump and made it all the way through and down Saxon June 13th. So more than likely it is still snowed in up there.

Last edited by Skully; May 3rd, 2010 at 20:39.
Old May 4th, 2010, 06:17
Headbanging Hillbilly

Maybe it is me or maybe the photo............ I would have driven over the socalled paint eating rock....... does not look all that big from my perspective...
People crushed by law, have no hopes but from power. If laws are their enemies, they will be enemies to laws; and those who have much to hope and nothing to lose, will always be dangerous. Edmund Burke
Old May 4th, 2010, 08:33
NAXJA Forum User

It's the perspective, from the top it looks pretty easy, but looking from the other side it's huge. It would definitely be a huge challenge to drive up it
Old May 4th, 2010, 08:39
Headbanging Hillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poofengle View Post
It's the perspective, from the top it looks pretty easy, but looking from the other side it's huge. It would definitely be a huge challenge to drive up it
I love challenges I will have to get some pics from my Yota drivin brother who snapped one of me going over a larger rock than that one appears to be! By the way, Nice lookin rig, what is your setup?
People crushed by law, have no hopes but from power. If laws are their enemies, they will be enemies to laws; and those who have much to hope and nothing to lose, will always be dangerous. Edmund Burke
Old May 4th, 2010, 08:45
NAXJA Forum User

d30 front, ford 8.8 w/ARB rear, 8" skyjacker lift, 35" tires, custom rollcage built by previous owner, cb radio, and I've almost got everything I need to run onboard air
Old May 4th, 2010, 23:34
Headbanging Hillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poofengle View Post
d30 front, ford 8.8 w/ARB rear, 8" skyjacker lift, 35" tires, custom rollcage built by previous owner, cb radio, and I've almost got everything I need to run onboard air
Nice
Old May 24th, 2010, 19:00
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoRaptor View Post
Maybe it is me or maybe the photo............ I would have driven over the socalled paint eating rock....... does not look all that big from my perspective...
That rock is where Dutch flopped on his side with the old flat green fabbed XJ last year. The photos do not show the angels and degree of rise going up and off to the side.

.........then months later trying the slab again he rolled it bad and started the tearing off of the upper body project, eventual giving up on.........
Old May 31st, 2010, 16:34
On a Time Out

That's bas ass love the pics