• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

build up part 2? (long)

mgfabpd

NAXJA Forum User
I am currently running 6.5" of lift w/ 33" Baja Claws, D30 front, 8.25 rear,and stock 3.55's w/ an auto tranny in my '96.
I'm thinking along the lines of going to about 8-9" of lift, Waggy axles, 35-37" tires, gears & lockers. Let me start off by saying this is my DD that I drive to & from work everyday (60 miles round trip), so I should probably go easy on the mods, but I have a little twist from every other post that starts off like this. I run a fab shop that specializes in XJ protection, so I use my XJ as some what of a product showcase, and plan on making it to alot of shows & gatherings this year, so I cant show up w/ a little DD on weenie tires, all decked out with our stuff! Another thing to think about, I do put alot of street miles on my truck, but I also wheel this thing as hard as I can (w/o lockers), and am sick of getting the winch out every 10 minutes, so lockers are a must!
I have the suspension under control, and I was planning on keeping the stock axles, going w/ 35's, and 4.56's, but now I'm considering Waggy axles, I probably have a whole new set of ratio's to choose from, and I've never run a locker, so I dont know too much about them. What I do know is, that I would love to go w/ ARB's, but I dont think they make a locker for the 8.25 - 27 spline, I know I could swap in 29 spline shafts (which I already have) and wouldn't mind doing that to save on un-needed work if it will hold up. As far as the front, I know ARB makes one for it, but would it be worth it?
Keep in mind that I am trying to run a shop, and have very limited time to spend on my on my own stuff, so if I can get around that swap, and just upgrade my current axles that would be very helpful.
I'm starting to ramble, so I'm going to get to the point:
Will my stock axles hold up to 35-37" tires & lockers if I'm careful?
Probably not, what can I do to make them handle it, alloy shafts?
Or would it be quicker/cheaper to swap out the axles?
35 or 37 inch tires?
Would like ARB's or Ox lockers, but that is some serious coin - how about some cheap locker options? Remember alot of street driving, and I dont want to waste my time w/ limited slips.
4 wheel parts has a combo deal for front & rear gears sets, install kits, and Quicklocks for $890 - are they any good, will I have a problem w/ the front on the street?
I wont put AT's on it, and I have narrowed it down to these tires:
35x12.50-15 MTR's $200 ea.
37x14-15 Irok's $185 ea.
36x13.50-15 Irok's $176 ea.
36x12.50-15 Swampers $177 ea.
I heard that the Irok's are super soft, and will wear out quickly on the street, anybody have some real experience with these tires?
I have already had MTR's, and I would kind of like to try somthing new.
It will probably be between the Swampers, and the Irok's depending on durability. I will also be looking to get rid of my Baja Claws if anyone is intrested - I'm in NY, and they have about 90% on 2, and about 80% on the other 2.
Sorry this is so long, but I need this particular rig to appeal to my potential customers, not just myself, so that kind of complicates things a bit.
Your opinions are very much appreciated, and if you have made it this far, thank you!
Just to recap, I need durability, customer appeal, offroad ability, on road ability, and I'm not rich, so the more I think about it, ARB's & Ox's are probably not an option. Is this possible? By the way, offroad ability & customer appeal are more important than onroad ability, just as long as I dont get killed on my way to work!

Last edited:
mgfabpd said:
but I also wheel this thing as hard as I can (w/o lockers),

Will my stock axles hold up to 35-37" tires & lockers if I'm careful?

Wheeling hard and being careful don't go together much so I think new axles are a must for 35/37" tires.

By me saying wheeling hard, is not really hard. Im in NY, and 90% of the terain is trails/mud, no rocks around here, but I am definently planning on going to Paragon w/ a local club this year. I have never been to an actual park before, and I dont know exactly what kind of terrain is out there, but its gotta be better than what I have here! One thing is for sure though, I dont want to be the guy holding up the line everytime I brake!

I am a little 3.5RE guy on 32", so keep that in mind.

But my vote is IF you stay stock axles, go 29spling alloy in rear, alloy in front, AND stay open! Once you lock it, you are going to put ALLOT of stress on parts that earlier didn't have much... of course you know that.

IF you must lock, save the coin up and wait to to it right and go selectable.... even then, I would want stronger axles! Your customers are gonig to be very concerned about what you run on your rig! Just doesn't make sense to "do it cheap" first time out just to replace it all later when your frustrated from renting cars for transportation on Monday mornings!

Just my opinion, nothing more.

Good luck, let us know what you decide..... and we want pics! Got any now?

Makes sense, I'm just short on free time, and I guess I'm just trying to be too cheap! So, a swap is in order, and I think I am going to try to come up w/ the coin for some ARB's, or possibly some Ox's if they are avail. for whatever axles I end up using.
I do have some pics of my XJ's current state, but I'm not to computer savvy, and the only way I know how to put my pics on for you to see, is to email them to you, let me know if you are intrested.

Back