• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I really sold out this time

DutchVDub

NAXJA Forum User
I finally caved in and decided I was tired of driving around high mileage vehicles. My S4 has 222,000+ and the XJ has 208,000+ on the clock. After drooling over the Rubicon since they first came out in 2003, really salivating over the LJ version, and then getting serious wood over the 4dr's I made sure the credit cards were paid off and then went on the prowl for a JKU Rubicon. I found this one on Craigslist and got the guy down to KBB BlueBook trade-in value on it. Its a 2008 Forest Green (I was really wanting Rescue Green but I got a good deal and really like this color too) Rubicon with an Automatic transmission. The basic plan is to rob the 35's and Trail Ready bead locks off of the XJ and build this into a nice family adventure/camping rig. Same concept as the XJ, but with a bit more room, comfort, and of course an actual frame. The soft top is actually my favorite part. I really missed it after getting rid of the YJ, and was one of the things I really missed about my Samurais. The 3.8 is a total dog, but as long as it lasts me long enough to gather up all my parts for a 5.3 swap then I'm ok with it. Overall I'm really happy with this thing.

Took the JK up to the mountains to try her out. Started out on Bunce School Road, took that to Middle Saint Vrain, and then onto Cone Flats. The JK did great over all and I was definitely impressed with not only how capable it was, but also how comfortable it was. I will say though, she likes to hit rocks with its under carriage. The factory sliders definitely earned their name, and I managed to put a slight dent in the factory fuel tank skid. None the less, I only had to turn the lockers on once despite the trail being very wet and muddy. The very worn KM1's did their part and I swear it felt like it had limited slips in the diffs. I wish BFG still made the KM1, I always liked them.

Mad flex with the stock suspension :rolleyes:

null_zps966ec4b6.jpg

null_zps467d6115.jpg

One of many water crossings due to the trail being flooded out. So much for our drought conditions in CO, I've rarely seen MSV this wet.

null_zps009b75f0.jpg

View at the end. I know, I am absolutely terrible about taking pictures while on the trail.

null_zps9d3444c6.jpg

null_zpsfb51798c.jpg

OH NO!!!!! CARNAGE!!!!! :D

null_zps2a187e90.jpg

Back at home and starting to look like a real Jeep

null_zpsc39b5b0a.jpg

null_zpsde29f6f8.jpg

null_zps2a497f2a.jpg

Best part of the day was getting home and seeing my lift, wheel adapters, and spare tire relocation bracket all waiting for me. Guess what I'll be doing this weekend. :D

Welcome to the other club!

David thinks a JKU will be my next Jeep. I always said I would not, could not, own a JK but man, after driving my daughters 2 door, I'm sold.

That is one good looking LJ in your pics! ;)

i see a sawzall in your future....

No need, the 2.5" lift is all that's needed to clear the 35's. So booyah!!

Welcome to the other club!

David thinks a JKU will be my next Jeep. I always said I would not, could not, own a JK but man, after driving my daughters 2 door, I'm sold.

That is one good looking LJ in your pics! ;)

The PentiStar Motor and 6spd Automatic would really be nice, that's for sure. I just couldn't justify spending 15,000-20,000$ more for a 2012 and newer Rubicon though when a 5.3L w/ 6L60E swap will only run me about 6-7,000$ and give me even more power. Still, 2012 and newers are really nice. The interior update is spot on and the improvements to the drivetrain really take the cake. Too bad they don't make a stretched 2dr version of the JK, that would be really sweet.

looks good will look great on the xj wheels and tires :thumbup:
Don't feel bad though. Im gathering parts for a Toyota :doh: (not mine per say)

:thumbup:

All that matters is that you've having fun with your family. Doesn't matter what you're doing it in. Sounds like you got an awesome deal. It'll be chopped up and lifted in no time. lol

BTW - When you're ready I have DBC LM7 5.3 here at the house that I'm looking to sell pretty soon. It's cammed (LS6) but otherwise stock. Let me know when you're interested.

With the LS swap I'm looking into doing I'll be running a GEN IV truck 5.3L,6.0L, or 6.2L engine. I'm going to opt for the 5.3 myself. I can then run a 6L80 with a 241J T-case or a 4L60 and keep my 241OR t-case. I haven't decided on that yet.

As long as its a Gen IV then I'm interested. PM me a price

My LM7 (5.3) is a Gen III from a 2000 Silverado with 105k. Why do you want a Gen IV aside from finding an L33 (aluminum block) version?

The kit I'm looking to go with specifies a Gen IV engine. It allows for full integration with the CAN-Bus system on the JK.

I'm still waiting to hear back from them on exactly what options I have in that regards though.

Gotcha...Well let me know.

The kit I'm looking to go with specifies a Gen IV engine. It allows for full integration with the CAN-Bus system on the JK.

I'm still waiting to hear back from them on exactly what options I have in that regards though.

So I'm looking for an LY5 and matching 6L80E, anybody got a line on a wrecked 2009 Silverado 1500?

Yep. Loyal XJ owners seem to be dropping like flies...... A buddy just stopped by at 8 pm tonight to show me that he traded in his '99 XJ for a '13 JK Unlimited.....:rolleyes:

Oh well, enjoy your JunK Dutch!...... At least you didn't go with a Nissan. :thumbup:

..... A buddy just stopped by at 8 pm tonight to show me that he traded in his '99 XJ for a '13 JK Unlimited.....

Oh well, enjoy your JunK Dutch!......

Troy, did you get an opportunity to drive the 2013? I'm curious how the 3.6 handles the extra weight of the JKU.

We just bought my daughter a '13 2 door and it is unbelievably quick for a Wrangler. They say is is rated at 285 HP and it is getting better mileage than my LJ.

The guy that has access to the quickest and most advanced jeep on the board doesn't understand why wranglers are more practical than Cherokees, makes me laugh.

Back