• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starboard M builds a Cafe Racer

Starboard M

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
The weather has warmed up, gas prices are starting to go up, and it is finally time for me to join the two wheeled revolution.

Originally I was dead set on getting a crotch rocket, or similar, but as I started researching I realized I couldnt afford a newer bike, and really didnt want to be another 20 something year old male on a cookie cutter bike.
I dont need something that can go 190mph in second gear, or 0-60 in three seconds. I wanted something that I can go for a Sunday cruise, commute on, take it out on the back roads, get better MPGs than my Jeep, and give me something to work on.

So I purchased a 1979 Suzuki GS750L.:D
029.jpg

032.jpg

033.jpg

036.jpg

I describe it as an Asian Harley wannabe. The "L" version of this bike is the same as the other versions, but with raised handlebars, a large two step seat, and a quieter exhaust. It looks goofy, and very awkward to ride.:wierd:

This build will be a slow, pretty worthless build, but I love doing build threads and looking back on my thought train and progress I have done.

I will be turning this bike into a "Cafe Racer" which will basically mean chopping the seat lowering the handle bars and stripping some of the excess off the bike.
Right now Im focusing on getting it driveable, and general maintenance.
-Change oil and filter (who knows when the filter was last changed)
-Plugs
-Figure out the high idle
-Already fixed the always on brake light by cleaning the front brake switch

Once those are done, I will:
-Buy new lower bars
-New SS brake lines
-Fix tach by buying new shorter cable
-Fix the petcock that only wants to stay on the ON position
- Maybe ride the thing:D

These are examples of cafed bikes. Its a hard classification to actually classify since everyone differs on what they think it means.
To me, a chopped seat, lower bars, and a minimalistic approach is what I will be trying to emulate. I wont hit that mark right off the bat, but I will strive for it as I progress. And who knows, six months down the road, I might change my mind completely, but for now, these are some examples of what I want to do.
seat8.jpg

l_d57697908f774645969c87baede7920e.jpg

gs750-1.jpg

FALL3.jpg

BOYLECOMM.jpg

9142af73c50e7b3eb57508de99b7e79a.jpg

750CafeRacera.jpg

750.jpg

593c_1.jpg

100_0513.jpg

1.jpg

*these bikes are not all gs750s, but the same principle applies.

Stay tuned for a photo documentation of what one crazed individual can do to a unsuspecting motorcycle. :explosion

Yesterday I got some work done on the bike, and actually got to ride it!

Changed the oil, replaced the spark plugs and figured out what all the vent/vacuum lines were.

Had some issues getting the bike started after I pulled the fuel tank to see if I could figure out the petcock not turning, and all the vent lines. Messed with the bike for a couple hours and finally got it started by covering all four intakes and it started. Started right up after that with the starter. Not sure what was going on, but at least it runs now.

Got to go for a quick ride before it got to cold and had way to much fun. That obnoxious seat is actually pretty comfortable, but the handlebars are way to high.

I got new intake o rings in the mail yesterday, which should fix part of my high idle issues. I also realized that I didnt connect a vacuum right which will also help that high idle.

Hopefully the rain thats scheduled for this week wont come, and I can get some more miles under my belt. Next weekend Im going to ride, and maybe fix those handle bars.

Rode the bike home from my friends house I had been storing the bike at, and got pissed at the bike. Its high idle was not only a PITA, but also a bit dangerous.

Decided to take it off the road for the next couple of weeks to work on it (and let my bank account recover). Carbs need to be rebuilt, intake boots need to be replaced, brake lines need to be replaced, tach line and speedo line need replacement, etc. :doh:

First up was the handlebars. As I said before, the L version of this bike was meant to be a cruiser bike, but not only did it look horrible it also felt horrible. Dont laugh to much...
002.jpg

:dunce:

Replaced the bars with "superbike" style bars
IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0101.jpg

Also removed the rear fender, sissybar, turn signals, brake light and license plate.
IMG_0104.jpg

Amazing how such simple things can transform a bike so much. It feels better and Im sure it will handle a little better.

Took off the carbs to look at the intake boots and found three of them cracked which would explain my high idle issue. Since the bike has pod air filters I apparently need to rejet the carbs, so while Im at it I might as well do that. Since Ive never messed with carbs, it will be interesting to work on four at the same time.
IMG_0096.jpg

IMG_0095.jpg

Sometime next week I will order:
-Universal petcock and adapter
-Front brake lines
-Carb oring kit, gaskets, and jets/needles
-Carb boots ($170 for four :eek:)
-Some sort of paint. Thinking a gunmetal gray. Anyone have input on a paint thats gas safe for the outside of a fuel tank?

Keep in mind I also have no tools, no power tools, and no real area to work on the bike. So when I have to do something, I have to buy tools. Sucks going from having a garage loaded with tools, to having to buy screw drivers to remove a carburetor.

The new bars definitely made the bike look better. should give ya a pretty agressive handling charactoristic on the streets... should be fun

Are you planning to do rearset footpegs too?

I turned a Honda CX 500 into a Cafe Racer a few years ago:

photo-3.jpg

I plan to pick up a bike very similar to yours when I'm more comfortable with the roads here in Albuquerque. The CX platform was great for reliability, but it's hard to customize. I want something air-cooled, with chain drive and a kickstarter.

Rear set pegs are on the list, but tough to do in an apartment complex parking lot and no real tools. The stock exhaust is also in the way, as well as the kick starter.

One of these days Ill do a 4-1 exhaust, remove the kick starter and figure out a way to redo the pegs, but thats far down the list.

Got a chance to work on the bike some more.

First up, I got an impact driver due to recommendations, but I couldnt get it to fit between the frame and the boots, so I used the screw part and a 8mm combination wrench. Worked perfect on screws that a typical screwdriver was just stripping.
001.jpg

Clutch cable that needs to either be rerouted or replaced with a shorter one.
016.jpg

Better profile picture without my goofy self on it.
025.jpg

What the rear frame looks like without the fender on. Trying to figure out an easy way to mount a plate and light on there.
028.jpg

Figured out why my tach didnt work. Tab that was supposed to stick out is broken off.
037.jpg

Pancaked carb boot Orings.
044.jpg

047.jpg

Carbs taken apart into a pile of parts. I was questioning why people recommended cleaning them, especially since the outside was so clean. Inside is NASTY.
052.jpg

053.jpg

054.jpg

Tomorrow I will be taking the gas tank to work and wire wheeling the 3+ paint jobs off of it, calling a company for carb stuff, and finishing dunking some of the carbs.

Take off the clutch cable and spray brake clean into the black liner pulling line up and down letting the shit inside drain out. Also, run it so there are as little bends as possible and any bends aren't tight but flowing instead. Cleaning it and routing it smoothly will ease the clutch pull a hell of a lot. Make it nicer to ride in town.

Sweet bike! I've got a 1970 Honda cl175 I'm planning on converting to the cafe racer look. Looking forward to the build up!

Post pictures when you start that project! Little bikes like that are great. A good friend of mine back in New York has built cafe racers out of a cb160 and a cb200.

I will, right now though I'm rebuilding carbs, lining the rusted out tank, replacing the clutch, and about any other thing you can imagine haha.

I like this one the best, I think this is the route you should go with.
9142af73c50e7b3eb57508de99b7e79a.jpg

Been a while since Ive updated this thread. Between work, waiting on parts, and life getting in the way, I have not been able to do much.

I stripped the paint off the tank, finding 3+ previous pain jobs. :confused1
b6bba369.jpg

Painted it gray, thinking it would turn out better than it did. I give you, battle ship gray. :banghead:
3508361a.jpg

I hate the color, Ill be painting it again. Thinking Ill be going back to black.

Got the carbs back together, installed them and took the bike for a ride. Battery crapped out on me and died a mile from my house, so I shelved the bike for awhile.

Got re motivated and bought a bar end mirror, turn signal, tail light and license plate relocator bracket.

Before, mirrors gave me a nice view of my shoulder
004.jpg

Also stock rear fender, tail light and turns were not quite the look I was going for
0012.jpg

Got it all done
013.jpg

011.jpg

It looks a little ghetto, but it works pretty well. One issue I ran into is that when you turn the turn signals on, the tail light flashes.
I also have a valve cover gasket on order, and Ill be ordering valve shims, tool and "half moons", as well as a new tach cable sometime next week. Also need to get new tires, and brake odds and ends.

Also need to some help tuning the carbs, its pretty obvious that they are not synchronized.

Last edited:
i actually think it looks way better than with the fender and boat anchor of a tail light. the brake light flashing too is a bad thing - most people dont notce the damn turn signals....

Where's the side shot? That actually looks pretty good man, and I agree. Having the brake light flash as well is probably a good thing.

Back