• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sold my XJ :(

john_yarbrough

NAXJA Forum User
Sold my XJ last week. Both of our vehicles were getting a bit older and higher in mileage. They both started having issues each month costing me money so we made the decision to sell the XJ :( and buy something a bit newer and with less mileage. I got $6500.00 for it so know that there are people who will pay top dollar for these XJ's even in this bad economy.

Here is the 2001 XJ I sold.
DSC00603.jpg

DSC00606-1.jpg

Thanks to all of you who helped with the build, sold me endless parts, and got to connect with through this forum. You guys are some of the coolest and most generous people I have met. Im still looking forward going on some runs with Brad Hicks from time to time so Im sure Ill see you all around. In fact he had mentioned running Rubicon again and needed a co-pilot, so with any luck Ill be on that run for sure in the future.

For those who are curious. I purchased a 2002 Nissan Xterra. Its got a small lift and is in great shape. Here is a pic. The southern california Xterra clubs dont even come close to the Socal NAXJA chapter so this forum will definitely be missed.
4.jpg

3.jpg

1.jpg

Xterra's are solid rigs. good choice! nice beefy solid axle and plush/stout IFS in front.

Great for driving to the trail in comfort and heading up to places like the golden trout wilderness, glacier national park, etc. where you have long distances to help, and some pretty rutted, but moderate off-highway trails to traverse to your campsite

Good stuff.

Xterra's are solid rigs. good choice! nice beefy solid axle and plush/stout IFS in front.

Great for driving to the trail in comfort and heading up to places like the golden trout wilderness, glacier national park, etc. where you have long distances to help, and some pretty rutted, but moderate off-highway trails to traverse to your campsite

Good stuff.

The wife is much happier with the comfort level, she hated riding in the Jeep. This spring we are looking forward to doing some camping and over nighters in the wilderness so we hope this will do the job in terms of getting us off the beaten path. Im going to run bee canyon this next week which I heard about on an Xterra forum. Supposed to be an easy 16 mile run with a lot of wildlife and a few campsites along the way.

Anyone heard of or ever run this trail?
Bee00Map.jpg

I ran Bee Canyon a few years ago in my TJ. Not really challenging but had some beautiful scenery and a few nice spots to camp. Should be a fun run.

I ran Bee Canyon a few years ago in my TJ. Not really challenging but had some beautiful scenery and a few nice spots to camp. Should be a fun run.

You saw the new ride. Im not really looking to wheel a whole lot, just looking to get off the couch and outdoors a bit. We also just saw that Calico Ghost Town is having a civil war reenactment this next weekend. Thought it would be fun to head up there as well.

John, you're still more than welcome on this forum... just because you don't own one is no excuse to go away! Keep in touch here, and we'll see you on some trail or another, or over a campfire, someday!

Let me know how Bee Canyon is; I have a friend with an unlifted XJ (we get into all sorts of fun; she follows me everywhere), and we're overdue for some "Ha! Couldn't get here in my Mirage/Toyota/Commuter Car" camping sometime soon.

Wow.

Sorry to see you downgrade.

So you got that xterra for less than the jeep is worth?

Got the Xterra for the price I sold the Jeep for. Xterra is newer, less miles, and has none of the issue that my Jeep did and the wife is happy. A win in my book.

Looks nice..What are you going to do with all your free time now?

Still off my feet from a foot surgery I had about a month ago so free time is all I have right now. Once Im back on my feet Im sure Ill find plenty to do.

Good luck with the new ride, I saw your listing on Craigslist... what kind of issues were you having with it?

Nothing major but power door locks didnt work, the driver seat welds had broken on the rail causing it to wobble, rear hatch was cracked a bit and the last few months I went through a couple of check engine lights coming on requiring me to replace a fuel rail, computer, a few sensors, and a couple other things. It ran great and was in good order when I sold it except for the locks and seat, but it got old after a while. Still wish I could have kept it and gotten a new car as well.

Back