• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grin's WJ Build Thread

xj-grin

NAXJA Member #1096
Just to continue to offend Ira, and make sure the "man bag" jokes keep on coming....

New rig: 1999 WJ Limited, 4.7L V8, Auto, Quadrajunk, D44a (n)
PA060163.jpg

PA060164.jpg

and for irony:D:
PA060165.jpg

Plans: 4" lift, 285/75/16 rubber, oodles of parts from the FrankZ oh crap garage, JK axles, 242 tcase swap (I hate not having a 2wd option, and the POS clutch pack in this 247 chatters like an angry squirrel).

I have some home improvement projects to wrap up, but hopefully November will be a productive month after some parts acquisition/fab in October:eyes:

So let me get this straight, you are going to modify this to be more like a XJ.

I think the chattering squirrels are between your ears.

you mean like modifying a stock-grocery-getter-station-wagon-XJ for trail use is somehow less nutty (to continue the squirrel analogy)??

Will I modify it for trail use like other jeeper modify other jeeps? - yes I will. Will it be "like an XJ"? Nope, parts interchangability is virtually nill, unlike TJ/ZJ/XJ/MJ parts...

Let me know if you would like a hand when you start building it up. I would love to come help.

You better lower and put some 22's on that thing Jim.

i will say this, there is a lifted one on 315/75's in woody P. and it looks GREAT. dunno how it does offroad due to IFS but it LOOKS tits

i will say this, there is a lifted one on 315/75's in woody P. and it looks GREAT. dunno how it does offroad due to IFS but it LOOKS tits

Wrong -- not IFS if its a WJ. They are the last of the solid-axle non-wrangler jeeps.

I just made a deal for a JK D44 (33spline) e-locked rear and matching JK HP D30 front. WOOT!:peace:

oops, its the one after your style thats the ifs, still looked good tho....
thats a good setup to toss under :D

Sweet man, should be awesome. Keep that WJ coming

I have to admit, that WK's do look tits lifted up. Damn IFS.

So let me get this straight, you are going to modify this to be more like a XJ.

I think the chattering squirrels are between your ears.

No, Chris is doing the V8 swap....... but taking the easier route. :thumbup:

:D

damn skippy! and the cushier route too... I have to say driving it feels like a buick, except for the still jeepish harshness of solid axles (and old shocks/worn springs)

If by "building to be more like an XJ" you mean he is taking a 4dr unibody Jeep station wagon (or SUV for you overly sensitive types) and lifting it then I guess he is. Or better yet maybe he is taking the more upscale version of the XJ (hence the name Grand Cherokee) and using it as the platform for his family wheeler as opposed to the basic and utilitarian XJ.

The only real downside to the WJ is that aftermarket bumpers are fawkin expensive because of all the angles needed to get them to fit and look right. Otherwise, not a whole lot of difference between modifying a WJ or XJ.

Chris, I meant it in the best possible way. :)

But keeping with the squirrel theme:

What did the physiatrist say the patient wearing only saran wrap underwear?

I can clearly see you're nuts.

I wasn't offended in the least, man. If you're gonna pimp a non-XJ on an XJ board, you gotta expect a little ribbing.

Interesting how I get the most support from the non-XJ owning membership though... hmmm, maybe we're getting one of those "clique" things going so we can be like CO4x.... nevermind.

The only real downside to the WJ is that aftermarket bumpers are fawkin expensive because of all the angles needed to get them to fit and look right. Otherwise, not a whole lot of difference between modifying a WJ or XJ.

quoted for truth, and IMHO, most of the aftermarket bumpers look like blocky-shit-on-a-shingle. Since the WJ is curvy, I think the bumpers have to be as well. I'm getting some ideas bouncing around in my noggin, but those will be a ways off in Phase II of the build anyways...

they're tasty mid rare with a little sauce.

Back