• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ as a tow vehicle

co_big_cheese

NAXJA Forum User
00 XJ
AW4
8.25 w/ 3.55 gears
My pop-up trailer has a GVWR of about 2930

I see the rating for the XJ is 5000 ONLY IF you have the towing package. I didn't get it from the factory but am pretty sure I have everything covered other than the 3.73 gears.

1. I've had my hitch, brake controller & all the proper wiring installed
2. Planning to have my rear springs re-arched and add a leaf to stiffen it up a little (it squats a bit even when unloaded... see pic below)
3. Bought a tranny cooler (http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?R=ATP14823_0071726991)
4. Planning to change my tranny fluid/filter.
5. Going to change the diff fluid as well (I have 80W-90 left over from another vehicle [unopened].. should I go with something else like 75w-140 synthetic instead?)
6. Got towing mirrors to help see
7. Front brakes pads have recently been replaced, rears are still fine.

Anything I am forgetting? Don't want to be pulling the family down the road if I haven't covered all my bases. I know it's not the ideal tow vehicle, but hopefully it will be fine for this trailer.

4636169612_fc887afec7.jpg

OOPS, meant to post this in the towing forum! Feel free to move it....

Last edited:
Sounds like you're very thorough with your list but there's one item you might consider. If you haven't flushed your cooling system in awhile it might be a good time. Towing will put an increased load on the cooling system and you don't want to overheat on a steep grade in hot weather. You should also do a visual inspection and make sure your heater hoses and radiator hoses look good to eliminate any weak spots before you load up.

For a Pop up you shouldn't have any issues. As long as you have a properly installed hitch you are good to go. If it has electric brakes a brake controller will be needed.

edit: Oh, missed the part where you had a brake controller installed.

I believe the towing package in the early years included a larger alternator and battery. BTW, I have three XJ's with factory towing and all are AW4, 242, with 3.55, two with LSD.

I would recommend a properly set up Equalizing Hitch. When set correctly the Equalizing hitch will load the front and rear axles equally, the increased load on the front axle will help with steering and braking.

I would recommend a properly set up Equalizing Hitch. When set correctly the Equalizing hitch will load the front and rear axles equally, the increased load on the front axle will help with steering and braking.

I considered that, but for a <3K trailer I figured I'd try it without first.

Thanks for he info/suggestions.

The 4.0 will pull pretty much anything. Its stopping that the scary part.

I pulled my 95 XJ (2wd AX15) with my 96 XJ (auto 4x4 w/ tow package aka 3.73's) on a car dolly from Knoxville to Asheville (~120 miles) through the mountains on I-40. It pulled great but luckly it was night time and no one on the road because it was nearly impossible to stop

I would definately get a Sway Bar(stabilizer) for the hitch,it made a world of difference for mine(about 3000# loaded).

The 4.0 will pull pretty much anything. Its stopping that the scary part.

I pulled my 95 XJ (2wd AX15) with my 96 XJ (auto 4x4 w/ tow package aka 3.73's) on a car dolly from Knoxville to Asheville (~120 miles) through the mountains on I-40. It pulled great but luckly it was night time and no one on the road because it was nearly impossible to stop
I've been trying to think of a way to fix that... running a vacuum line to the booster on the towed vehicle would be easy, but I can't think of a non :gee: way to actuate the brake pedal in synch with the towing vehicle.

I have towed a popup trailer before with my lifted XJ and it pulled fine. the only problem i had were the mirrors didn't really see around the thing. Without the load leveling hitch you'll be fine, just do a sevice on the XJ and make sure everything is in working order liket he others have said and you have a fun time.

Stoping is only a problem if you don't have brakes on the trailer. My XJ stops better with the trailer then without it. It sounds like he has brakes on his since he's adding a brake controller.

The the OEM hitch (any of the Class 3 hitches from 1984 - 2001 will fit) and wiring harness and you'll be good to go. The factory setup in the later years (post 1989 or so) for factory towing just added an auxiliary transmission cooler, the harness, and the hitch, gears were still 3.55:1.

Back