• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaving the Jeep world and entering the UTV world....

Gotlift01

NAXJA Forum User
After a lot of thought and consideration, I've decided to move on from the world of Jeeps. To date I've had a total of (8) XJ's ranging from bone stock, to mild, to hardcore streetable, to full on trailer only buggy with XJ skins. I'm burnt out! Between working on my own stuff and keeping my Dad and two brothers going with their Jeeps....I'm done.

I'll be putting my 2001 XJ in my avatar & signature up for sale in a few weeks. It's been a fun Jeep but I'm bored and time for a new hobby.

After spending some time out on the trails and in Moab with my brother in his Polaris RZR XP...I've got the Side by side itch...and I got it BAD! We put that RZR through its paces, and it did everything I wanted and more. Not only did it climb crap that blew me away, it climbed it with ease and at a pace that a Jeep could only dream of without falling into pieces by the end of the trail. The best part was after a 4 day trip in Moab, he brought it home...washed it, tossed it in the garage and never put a wrench on it. It was ready to go again!

After a lot of going back and forth between what to get and what not to get, it came down to two options.

Option A). Polaris RZR XP 4 seater. The RZR has the performance that no other SXS can compare with. Flat out hauls the mail, but has a super long wheelbase that is actually longer than an XJ. It also is very cramped in the back seat. The price tag is ugly at nearly $20K.

Option B). Kawasaki Teryx 4 seater. The Teryx is on the lower end of performance. Compared to the 900cc fire breather that the RZR XP has, the Teryx is powered by a V-twin 750cc motor. It is no slouch by any means, but it doesn't have the instant "hold onto your nipples" reaction. But, it has a very manageable wheel base, is clutched more for rock crawling, and is very comfortable for my family. Price is a LOT more affordable than the XP.

I decided to pick up left over Teryx 4 for a SMOKIN price. Love it so far. Here is a pic the day I picked it up.

TruckampKawi_zps37c92994.jpg

kawi_zps69e47815.jpg

Now bone stock I'm not thrilled with how they look. To tall and narrow, and the suspension leaves a lot to be desired. I fixed that by order a HCR Long travel kit for it. It adds 5" per side, and 2" longer wheel base, 14+" of suspension travel, and King coil overs. The kit should be here by the end of the week! :yelclap:

Depending on what offset wheel I end up with, it'll be roughly 70" wide.
HCR-Racing-Kawasaki-Teryx-4-Suspension-0224.jpg

Here is a video with that same suspension.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uuNU6IfL54

Tire wise I decided to run a new tire that was just released a few months ago and ended up winning a tire shootout as the best all around tire for the UTV's. They are a Kanati Mongrel. I'm going to be running a 30" tall tire with a 14" rim. Haven't decided on the wheels yet though...those are still up in the air at the moment.

imagemagic.php

The ultimate goal for this is going to resemble this one. This one is running a 31" tire.
218106_10151276797098969_1255576470_n.jpg

So that's the scoop on my new hobby. I've wanted a UTV for a few years now, just never pulled the trigger on one. I'm looking forward to the change....it's been a long time coming!

That's awesome, man. Good luck with the new hobby. Built correctly a SxS will do some amazing things and get through some crazy obstacles.

My only word of advice is to buy several drive belts and bring them with you at all times. My buddy has the RZR 900 and he blows through belts like crazy. Not sure if it's an issue with the Teryx or not. He's had the best luck with the Goodyear Gatorbacks. FWIW.

BTW - If you've got any beadlocks for an XJ for sale, I call dibs! lol

Jim

Last edited:
That's awesome, man. Good luck with the new hobby. Built correctly a SxS will do some amazing things and get through some crazy obstacles.

My only word of advice is to buy several drive belts and bring them with you at all times. My buddy has the RZR 900 and he blows through belts like crazy. Not sure if it's an issue with the Teryx or not. He's had the best luck with the Goodyear Gatorbacks. FWIW.

BTW - If you've got any beadlocks for an XJ for sale, I call dibs! lol

Jim

Thanks, Jim....I'm looking forward to it. I was big into ATV's before I really got into Jeeps, so it'll be nice to get back to that sort of thing.

I'm planning on getting a spare belt to keep with me. The Teryx's are supposed to be clutched pretty damn well for crawling, so I hope to keep the belt in one piece. I don't really thrash on my stuff so I'm not super worried about it.

Congrats on your new hobby! I've always wanted to try one of those. They look like they ride way too rough for me though.

A couple years back, a few of us were running up Poison Spider/Golden Spike and had stopped to fix a broken locker in a rig in that nifty red rock section above the entrance and a group of folks in RZR's and similar UTV's stopped to take a break. When they rolled up it sure seemed like they were getting their brains and kidney's rattled pretty good. Several of them were using those neck pads between their helmets and suits.

Seems to me that if one were to break a shaft or locker/gear set or worse...... a transmisson or the like..... they'd be pretty damn expensive to repair. Ya can't go to the auto parts store either.

That's the biggest thing that makes me wonder if I'd like a UTV. Maybe the next time I'm in Moab I'll have to rent one for a day and see what they're like.

A quick check of E-bay and Craigs looks like the 2 seater versions with decent mods can be had for $7-$9k..... Well built XJ's can be bought for that or cheaper but it's still kinda comparing apples and oranges......

There is definitely pro's and con's to them. That is one of the reasons it took me so long to decide to do this. I've been wanting one for about 6 years now.

The stock ones compared to ones with a long travel suspension is like comparing a leaf sprung CJ to a Trophy truck. My brother and I took ours out 2 weekends ago to a place out by Ft. Morgan that has trails all over hell...and rode around for a few hours. There is a road that is roughly 2 miles long that is nothing but whoops...and pretty big whoops to boot. Seeings how mine is still stock, it rides like complete ass...not gonna lie!! I followed my brother in his RZR and in about a minute I could barely see him. He could fly through those whoops at about 60mph, where I was lucky to break 25mph and I was getting the absolute crap beat out of me. That long travel is a god send and they just float through that stuff! Mine will be that way after this weekend!

About the only real problem with these things are breaking belts, or breaking CV axles. They take a tremendous amount of abuse, and I've yet to see anyone stranded with one. Unless you are a complete and total jackass, these things are pretty damn stout and require 1/4 of the maintenance that a Jeep does.

Prime example of how nimble and capable they are. Two guys took two relatively stock RZR XP's with 30" tires to the Rubicon. There mission was to see if they could do the whole trail and back in a day. Now in a Jeep, it takes 2 solid days of hitting it pretty hard to get through just one direction. They had one minor mishap with one of the RZR's who broke a front shaft. They pulled the shaft, and completed the entire trail forward and reverse in 3 wheel drive. Here is the story...pretty cool read. http://www.pirate4x4.com/news/polaris-rzr-xp-900s-take-on-the-rubicon-trail/

You can score some used ones for very good prices....same as XJ's. I'm sure when I get ready to throw my XJ on the market, I wont get crap compared to what I have sank into it. Just the nature of the game.

I'm just tired of Jeeps. I've been hard at it with them for damn near 10 years, and I'm just burnt out. After seeing and experiencing how versatile and just flat out fun these damn things are, I realized it was time to change stuff up.

I'll take you for a ride in mine once I get it done, Troy....I guarantee you'll be grinning ear to ear! :D

My buddy has one that has some mods that he hit 80 in it a couple months ago. Don't know much about it but I'm sure I will in May when we go to Moab. I have been thinking of doing the same thing but the price verses a xj is what gets me. I grew up riding 4 wheelers and dirt bikes but know having a family makes things change for me so I sold my last dirt bike. This maybe a compromise for me in a couple years. Keep us posted.

I sure missed the ATV riding. Once I got married and had my son I switched to Jeeps for the more family oriented hobby. Now that my son is old enough, he has a Honda Trx250 sport quad and I've been itching to get back into riding. We also spend a lot of time in the mountains with our camper, and having something to cruise the local trails with is a ton of fun.

The Teryx is governed at 50mph stock, but a quick reflash of the computer gets rid of the top speed governor and it should do close to 65mph. The reflash also raises the rpm from I think 7800 to around 9000.

I was hoping to have my long travel on this weekend but I got a call on Friday that it'll be a week or two before I have it...which sucks but oh well.

I've been collecting some parts for it. The stock lighting on this thing sucks...so I put a 20" dual row LED light bar on the front bumper, and I have a 40" bar for the top. I'm waiting on my hard top to show up so I can get that installed...should be enough light! :D

I also ordered the UTV Inc. UHMW full belly skid and sliders. Those things add some major protection underneath and they slide on rocks like butter.

I've been also tossing around the idea of throwing exhaust on this...but the Muzzy full exhaust system for this thing is almost $1k....sounds bad ass, but I think that's going to have to wait.

I think you made the right platform choice just because of the size differances. We have a Polaris 4 seater at work and that thing is freaking huge. Its bigger than my 4dr Golf was and had a way worse turning radius.

UTV's are pretty cool, I just think they're way too much money. I would think that around CO with all the rocks a Jeep is a little better platform, plus you can't drive the UTV's on the street. If I was in southern Utah or another desert climate, oh yeah. I'd be ripping all across the dunes in one.

They are definitely pretty damn expensive. But considering what I've sank into my jeeps over the years, it is just as ridiculous! LOL

The trailer thing does somewhat suck, but here recently I've trailered my jeep to and from every trail so it's not that big of a deal.

Made some progress on my Teryx. The suspension took a lot longer than originally planned, so I hadn't done much on it until about a week ago.

Got the roof and 20" light bar installed.

IMG_05811_zps7222bd5f.jpg

IMG_05821_zps280f1e49.jpg

IMG_05831_zps8b6d01e4.jpg

IMG_06051_zps0402e432.jpg

IMG_06031_zps780ebfa7.jpg

IMG_06041_zps79efc2f4.jpg

IMG_06011_zps4e87ea1c.jpg

Started the tear down on the rear since it was going to be less time consuming.

IMG_06211_zps06408b09.jpg

IMG_06231_zps7b85ae1a.jpg

I was pumped to see this box show up!

IMG_06261_zps57052fb2.jpg

IMG_06271_zps52814800.jpg

IMG_06301_zps070d5d2e.jpg

IMG_06311_zps3f372f4c.jpg

C51D51E2-26F7-45C1-A315-6782A1F8E77C-8336-000009D393231B21_zps6569d595.jpg

D8DF0B0F-5AB0-45DA-95D3-9B62AB1739BA-8336-000009D3A3909F1F_zps4007d839.jpg

32C401F1-EACC-4291-9CB7-6C487EB20768-8336-000009D3CA313DBB_zps647a472f.jpg

Due to the long travel and the bigger tires, the bed has to be lifted 4" so the tires don't eat the bed sides.

46042874-9333-4920-91C3-8C6586FE8FBE-8336-000009D3DFDF2FE2_zps528b671f.jpg

7E2F999E-B523-43E5-9ECB-7F7790A88E86-8336-000009D3EA6D3243_zpsaf95aeb6.jpg

985D1059-687E-487E-BCA1-F86217F35F7D-8336-000009D3FC48B2C3_zpsdef5079f.jpg

ED975C68-C7D8-48B6-AAE4-A20E1FE89090-8336-000009D40D4776CF_zps4fba1279.jpg

CBF1EA02-D0A9-481B-BA84-32004CE96FF1-8336-000009D4185EAA86_zpse7ae6326.jpg

And finally....here is a comparison to show the major difference in looks.

kawi_zps69e47815.jpg

EE828255-109A-4838-A32C-0C6F13C85AE4-3039-0000039CD2796680_zps3b27cb89.jpg

173B4F6F-AAEA-40D1-84E1-223E9744A3BA-3039-000003A032B754EF_zpsb656fcee.jpg

E7A7D547-6288-4CFC-9C18-E91C18450639-3039-0000039CDEA922E7_zps3f28c0b5.jpg

It's about 90% done. I have to finish up a few small things, and I'm waiting on the correct lug nuts to show up and then I'll finally be able to take it out and test it out.

Looks mean now! Wonder if you could make your own exhaust. Take parts for a dirtbike and weld it up. $1000 seems like a lot!

Yeah a $1,000 is ridiculous for exhaust. It sounds mean as hell with the V-twin, but for what little performance gains you get, I just can't bring myself to spend the coin.

As of right now, they don't offer a slip on exhaust for the 4 seater...only the full system. I've read where a few guys have bought a slip on for a 2 seater and taken it to an exhaust shop and had a flange made to adapt it. But a slip on is still up there $$$ wise. We'll see....I might do something later down the road.

looks so sick

Thanks, Mike! :cheers:

I've also been tossing around the idea of ditching the stock cage. I just don't like the way it looks, but the aftermarket cages are ridiculously priced by the time you pay for shipping. Plus most of the stock cages are built for short people, so they wouldn't work for me anyway seeings how I'm 6'4.

wonder if you can just buy a bike slip on and fit it?

I'm not sure. I honestly haven't looked at it much and how everything is routed...I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to make something work. I think right now the can is just held on by the springs pulling it into the flange on the pipe like most other setups. I'll have to take a peek at it a little better and see what's up.

ya most bike setups are like that. Wonder what exhaust diameter is? Bet you can find some cool deals when not looking vehicle specific.

Back