• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Speaker help 00 XJ Sport

LehighU01

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,
Just bought a 2000 XJ Sport and am loving every second of it! So, as such, I'm new to this board.
I've read multiple threads regarding the front speakers not working and that is the case in mine. I am looking to replace all the speakers as well as put in an amp and small sub to counter the weak lows of the 5-1/4"s. Can anyone give me a step by step link or write up on how to go about either fixing the wires to the door speakers and/or running new ones. The mess of wires in and around the kick panel was quite intimidating to me so I don't want to F' anything up. Thanks in advance.

I have fixed this twice on a friends 99 XJ. There are three plugs under the drivers kick panel. Unplug them and pull the boot between the door. Once the wire loom is exposed pull the loom out the body one plug at a time. The broken wire in his was the Green speaker wire that is spliced to two other wires. Once the loom is out take the protective cover off to expose the different wires. Then all I did was slice it back together with a short piece of wire. It seems that the wires are a little too short and tend to get stretched. If you are replaceing the speakers I would recomend a heavyer guage wire. If so you will need to pull the door panel too. HTH some. Oh and I was refering to the drivers door by the way.

Depending on your options, you may already have an amp for your system. Typically the units with CD players come with an amp. Check under the back seat, on the drivers side. Lift the seat and look under the matting. There should be a pre-perforated section in the matting. Look under that. If you have an amp, it would be there.

Also, check on Ebay for a factory subwoofer. They pop up all the time. It's designed to mount in the well of your spare tire. It's a plug n play type of thing where you unplug the speaker plug at your head unit, plug in the subwoofer cable, run the cable back to your spare, and plug in the subwoofer. The bass may not deflect your rear windows, but the bass it produces is a noticable improvement.

Ivan

Thanks very much for your help.
In response: Is there a trick to getting the kick panels off? The nut holding it in seems to be rather far down and I can't figure out how to get at it. I assume that a deep wall socket would but I'd have to get one. Does anyone know what size it is?

i had the same problem in the drivers door on my 99.... was just a blown speaker.. i have a line on a mopar sub woofer if the seller ever gets motivated... good luck!
mike

The 99 I worked on did not have a nut on the kick panel. Just philips screws. I would think that a blown speaker would at least rattle or make some noise!

Neighbors 00xj had same problem. We did exactly as Ghost did and found the same thing, the green ground wire was broken where some clear heat shrink covered a splice with another ground wire.

My 99 had the exact same problem...pulled the harness and found that the green wire was the cause of my grief...spliced things back together and replaced the speakers as the contacts had corroded beyond clean up and things work great now.

Sucks that they have to save half a penny on things like this and short change the wire harness this way...I'm wondering what other problems this short change is going to cause down the line.

Matt

Ivan said:
Typically the units with CD players come with an amp.

Unfortunately, this is not the case. You got the amp only if you paid extra for the Infinity sound system. If you just bought the radio with CD player, that's all you got -- no amp, no tweeters in the upper door, and no Infinity speakers.

Eagle,

I must have got some mish-moshed system them. I got the CD player, Infinity speakers, amp, but no tweeters :confused:

Maybe it's because I got the Sport Model. Perhaps the Limited/Classic models came with the tweeters.... who knows... D/C comes up with some weird stuff :viking:

Ivan

Back