NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old December 27th, 2009, 05:53
NAXJA Forum User

Transmission Crossmember

I've got a Rustys transfer case skid I will install soon. The trouble is that it really makes the stock transmission crossmember seem weak. I just cant bring myself to leave the stocker in there. Does anyone have any experience/ opinions with aftermarket ones? Ive seen the Rustys, TNT and the Rugged Ridge ones, are there others? I'm more interested in the stock replacement type, I'm not looking for the longarm type unless it was cheap.... Thanks
Old December 27th, 2009, 07:28
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Transmission Crossmember

im a fan of the dpg belly skid, what it does is protects the stock crossmember and provides a pretty flat belly and protects your cat and t-case.

bolts right over your stock crossmember.

i have run that and the tnt crossmember (not bellypan) and bent it pretty easily

and eventually i graduated to a homebuilt perfectly flat belly crossmember/bellyskid
Old December 27th, 2009, 07:54
NAXJA Forum User

I crushed a Rustys cross member in a rock garden. It seemed heavy duty enough to me when I bought it but didn't hold up to the weight of my XJ coming crashing down on it. It is still better than stock.

Old December 27th, 2009, 08:25
NAXJA Member

I replaced the stocker with a TNT HD crossmember and am pleased with it. I like it, it's much beefier, it gives at least an inch more clearance, and the stock transfer case skid pulls up tighter (that is a 242 in this pic)

OTOH I don't do boulder ballet like ktmracer so I would defer to his comment if you are going to play hard in the rocks
Old January 5th, 2010, 16:44
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehall View Post
I replaced the stocker with a TNT HD crossmember and am pleased with it. I like it, it's much beefier, it gives at least an inch more clearance, and the stock transfer case skid pulls up tighter (that is a 242 in this pic)

OTOH I don't do boulder ballet like ktmracer so I would defer to his comment if you are going to play hard in the rocks
Can you answer a question I have about the cross member bolts? The one coming down out of the frame- is that a stud or is it an actual bolt coming through the frame. I went to put my tranny drop spacers on and the bolt coming down isn't long enough. Any ideas?
Old January 5th, 2010, 16:47
NAXJA Member

There is a stud and a bolt on each side. You should be able to back the studs out and use bolts everywhere, but be careful not to break the stud cause they are a pain to remove
Old January 5th, 2010, 21:45
NAXJA Member

So does anyone use a Trans skid plate as well?? Any recommendations. I know the trans is out of the way, but they are still a weak point