• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sierra Chapter Vehicle Minimum Requirements

blondejoncherokee

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Hi Sierra Chapter !

To keep things running as smooth as possible on the trail we are posting a thread on some updates to the minimum requirements we made recently.

We are going to repost the vehicle minimum requirements and will be doing tech infections at Sierra Fest. These will also apply to Reno Fest 2018 *** but will be relaxed for Toys for Tots as well since there is easy access to Hollister and Prairie City.

There will always be unplanned and unexpected breakage and we cant plan for everything but we want to grab the low hanging fruit.

Please Post up on this thread or PM with any questions or concerns.

Vehicle Requirements:
CB radio, HAM, high frequency radio, something to communicate on the trail
-One locker or two limited slips.
-32" + tires (31s will be ok on a rig by rig basis depending on driver skill, rig - Please post up your build or skill if you have 31s)
-No Dana 35s
-Dana 30 - Spare front axle shafts - No 260 joints. Also have a JACK, 36mm socket, 12 pt 13mm, 1/2" drive to 3/8" adapter and a 1/2" drive breaker/ratchet if your 12pt 13mm is not 1/2" drive
-If you have a dana 30, Highly recommended to carry at least one set of spare ball joints with your spare shafts,
-Spare rear shafts if you have a 27 spline 8.25.
-tow strap
-tow points front and rear
-T-case skid.
-Appropriate gearing for tire size. For example: 31's could run stock 3.55's, 33's should have at least 4.11's, 35's should have 4.56's. Low T-case gears can make up for diff gearing deficiencies.
-Spare tie rod and drag link if you are running 33's or larger and still have stock steering.
- Do not run knowingly broken , marginal or weak parts (dont bring a clogged radiator and overheating problems , a rig with a bad alternator, that wont stay running, bad U bolts, 260 joints, or a dana 35 for example )
-Do not bring a rig with a knowingly broken/failing axle shaft, R&P , locker, tcase, trans, motor, etc(or at least dont plan to run any trails until its fixed)
-Ensure all suspension bolts are torqued to spec and all steering and suspension joints are in good shape
-Run quality U bolts , center pins, control arm, and trackbar bolts that are torqued to spec
- 4 good tires and a spare are a must (Some exceptions if you are running New 40"+ tires and carry plugs and patches but spare is recommended )
-LCA skids are highly recommended on a stock dana 30 LCA mount

Gear:
-Bring adequate tools , sensors, and parts to fix your rig for the most likely failures
-Visibly charged fire extinguisher(BC or ABC)
-First aid kit
-Adequate spare tire, Bottle jack or high lift jack, and lug wrench
-Safety belts for driver and any current passenger (belts must be worn at all times while vehicle is moving!)
-Secured battery(no bungee cords!)

Stuff that is nice to have (Highly Recommended) :
-If you care about body damage, get some rock sliders, decent bumpers, gas skid, LCA skids
-Serpentine belt (especially if you run a non-stock belt)
- spare fuel if you are unsure
-spare ratchet straps
-Know how to work on your rig and know its limits

*** (2018 Reno Fest possibly relaxing reqs for Prison hill due to the nature of all the bypass roads and ease to get into out and out of Prison hill to allow less built rigs)
***also there is a second easy run at reno fest

We are Not asking for one tons, or even 3/4 ton axles
We are Not asking for Front AND rear lockers,
We are Not asking for chromos front and rear,
We are Not asking for 35" tires as a minimum,
We are Not asking for roll cages, harnesses, and other safety equipment,

We are asking incredibly minimal requirements to keep a run of 15-30 rigs moving at a decent pace over 7 days with minimal breakage through some reasonably tough trails and some that are slightly easier .
Trust me, we would get flamed to hell for having such incredibly relaxed minimum requirements anywhere else id imagine .

This is not the same, as say, just doing a single Slick Rock run with a couple buddies for a weekend, where you can take tons of time and get any sort of rig through.

Last edited:
Re: Sierra Chapter Vehicle Minimum Requirements 2017-2018

Can I get a list of what's required on a Toyota please?

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Can I get a list of what's required on a Toyota please?

Yes, the driver's must have previously wheeled a XJ in his/her past so that they know what a real rig wheels like, then they can wheel a Toyota with the same minimum requirements (or less) depending on driver experience . Obviously we will let very experienced drivers wheel less built rigs.

Ok ill bring spare dana 30 shafts. Thanks

Ok ill bring spare dana 30 shafts. Thanks

Yes, we will need you to carry them for the XJ guys who forget to bring theirs.....

For anyone else running a yota:
As for a Toyota , depending on what what front shafts you are running its recommended you carry spares .

Do you run stock shafts or Longfields ?

Longfields. The only thing left to do to the front axle is Chromo Hub gears but I'd rather have those brake than anything else

Longfields. The only thing left to do to the front axle is Chromo Hub gears but I'd rather have those brake than anything else

You know you're fine with your rights very built

Id rather have hub gears as the fuse as well.

Yeah I was joking

I know

Back