• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Red Elephant 10-12-2014

DutchVDub

NAXJA Forum User
So the trail run went pretty good, not that any of you web wheelers showed up. Josh and Marcus from Frontrange4x4 met up with my group from COJeeps at the Starbucks as planned. While we were airing down in the parking lot another JK pulled up and decided to run with all of us. I can't remember the names of the guys in that JK, they were fairly inexperienced wheelers but did fine and had a good time. We did have a little bit of carnage and we had to go back down Red Elephant because apparently the trail down into Empire is shut down. That's where the other JK had come from and later on another group said the same thing.

I don't really take pics so this is all I got:

Coming up the beginning, I tried getting all of us but didn't have any success.
[/URL]

It started snowing on us as we headed up. Bonus for the day, I got to throw the first snow ball of the season at my son. :D
[/URL]

[/URL]

Here we are all parked at the intersection where the loop comes back in and where you can split off to go to Bill Moore Lake. We had lunch and then headed back.
[/URL]

Carnage story:
So at the "Big Rocks" I decided to play around a bit and would up smashing my license plate mount. I got it back on but unfortunately the plastic was stronger than my tub and there is a small dent. Nothing too noticeable but it wouldn't have happened if I had relocated my license plate as I've meant to do for the last year now. Needless to say that higher up on my priority list now. I also finally dented the bottom of the stock Rubi-rails on my passenger side. I am still utterly amazed at how much abuse they take.

The white JK in our group apparently ripped a valve stem off coming back down. I was further down the trail up front so I didn't get to partake in the effort to put the spare tire on.

Winching story:
Only myself and the silver XJ attempted to go through the "Big Rocks" and we both needed to get pulled off after getting hung up on the last and biggest one. I had the green XJ go around me and I just winched myself off of him pretty easily. I got hung up on my fuel tank skid and rocker guard. The XJ got hung up on his 14bolt pinion guard, traction bar crossmember, and who knows what else. The white JK couldn't pull him off with a strap and we wound up having to winch him with a tree as an anchor (yes a tree-saver strap was used) and pull him with the JK to get him off. The dirt around those rocks is so soft and loose, plus there was just enough moisture, that we couldn't hold a proper line worth a damn. We just kept getting slid over on top of that last rock.

So yeah, that's what you queers missed. .!.. :D ..!.

Back