• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vacuum bottle setup, PLEASE RESPOND!

JKooshTJ

NAXJA Forum User
OK I just purchased the elusive vacuum bottle that's supposed to sit behind the front bumper. In having the bottle now I don't see plainly how to hook it up. All the manuals don't show the bottle, and only reference to remove it and reinstall it as it was (a great help, let me tell ya). So I'm begging, PLEASE, SOMEONE, GO OUTSIDE AND FOLLOW THE LINES BACK TO WHERE THEY ORIGINATE FROM THE FOOTBALL CANISTER BEHIND THE FRONT BUMPER, AND CLEARLY EXPLAIN WHERE THEY START AND WHERE THEY END. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't have cruise control, and if it did before I purchased it, the previous owner and I don't agree on it's importance. The Jeep is a 1988 Jeep XJ Pioneer 4x4, 4.0L V6, auto. If you need any further information PLEASE ASK. I'd really like to have this installed by the end of the weekend.

Thanks all who join the vacuum quest!
HC:patriot:

Mine being a 94 i'm not positive it's the same....but here ya go.

From the vac bottle it enters the engine compartment behind the pass side headlight, follows along pass side inner fender. Turns behind the washer bottle (your coolant bottle will be there) and terminates at a t-fitting on firewall just above heater core. There is another vac line coming thru the firewall that also connects to the t-fitting.

Hope that helps...

Was your vacuum harness that goes to the blimp intact? I have a diagram (from a parts breakdown) of the bottle and the harness but it is really vague as to where the lines hook up. My harness was shot to hell when I bought this XJ and so I kinda had to guess when I replaced the rotted/missing lines.

I could email you the diagram if you wish.

Just as a help, there is a vacuum diagram on the firewall. They aren't the easiest to read but by law they are required to be posted.

You may not need exactly to recreate the original plumbing. There should be a line off the intake manifold, which goes along the firewall to the passenger side, and thence down under the battery, to the bottle. Tapped off of that line will be whatever vacuum devices your vehicle uses. If there is no cruise control, there will be a line going to the transfer case and one to the heater controls, teed off that main line somewhere. The line continues past the tees to the vacuum bottle. It is a reservoir, not a vacuum source, so there does not need to be any return line, etc. Just the one line ending at the bottle. If you have cruise control there will be a second vacuum line for that, and the bottle itself will be double-ended. It is actually a dual chamber bottle. If you have a dual bottle but no cruise, you can use just one side of it, or increase your vacuum capacity by putting in a tee and using both sides.

Here's a diagram from the parts manual thay may help along with Matt's and the other's comments.

vacuumbottleav2.jpg

Yeah, I was just about to post and ask when the hell did they ever make a 4.0 V6? But then I saw it was an old ass post.

Well, I figured the OP made a typo with the V6.

I did notice the OP was dated 2 years ago, but papampi brought it back. I merely replied to papampi but the earlier comments still apply (even from 2 years ago). ;)

Back