• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

por-15 article up

Nice article. How much of the undercarriage are you planning on doing? The amount of prep work would be staggering to try and do the whole thing. I think most important would be to get the interior, where the carpet and such will hold water next to the metal. I herculined the inside of mine after hitting some rusty spots with POR-15. One of the best things I ever did.

I don't know if I'll ever get all of it, but I atleast want to get the frame frails and then hit any really rusty spots between the two frame rails.

In an ideal world I would coat everything on the undercarriage, but I don't think I'd have the time nor the patience.;)

I definetly plan on getting most, if not all of the interior though. Probably next summer I'm going to strip out everything, POR-15 it, put in some peel n' seal for sound insulation and call it a day!

I didn't have access to POR-15, just used a WallMart brand of 'paint' that converts rust to primer. Used my grinder with a wire cup wheel to knock off the larger areas of rust in the floorpan. Wear a resperator in a well ventilated area, as the conversion stuff has fumes and besides, ya don't want rusty lung or whatever you get from rust/old paint, when you grind it off. Goggles as well, and yeah, I used a half box of rubber gloves (medical) between the rust converter and the herculiner. Did the entire inside, but my carpet had already been stripped out before I bought the '89. Dunno about POR-15, but with this conversion stuff, you want to use a seperate container to pour it in, not dip out of the can, as that contaminates/deactivates whats left in the can, if you want to use the rest of it later. I really like the way the herculiner turned out..but wear gloves..takes about 2 weeks for it to wear off yer skin..and the fumes are pretty powerful.

poomba said:
I really like the way the herculiner turned out..but wear gloves..takes about 2 weeks for it to wear off yer skin..and the fumes are pretty powerful.

Reminds me about the guy who got Hurcliner on his hootus!:D

AARON

sternbal said:
Nice article. How much of the undercarriage are you planning on doing? The amount of prep work would be staggering to try and do the whole thing. I think most important would be to get the interior, where the carpet and such will hold water next to the metal. I herculined the inside of mine after hitting some rusty spots with POR-15. One of the best things I ever did.

I did the whole underside and the whole inside floor as well, all with POR-15. I also washed, etched, and coated inside the frame rails with Eastwoods Corroless and Rust stopper, one is a rust converter the other is a waxy self healing OEM type of coating. Then I sealed all the seams with seam sealer. Before Im done Ill be cappin all the holes in the frame and filling it expanding polyurethane foam.

XJguy

Back