• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hydraulic Steering tech article and review is done !

alright!

yer posting!

its awesome your POR and Madxj lords let you out of your prison cell!!!!!!

*ALL* of your tech articles are A++++

if you people out there haven't checked these out, follow the link and start reading.

BUttaHeada, do you think we can get you to visit more often?

pretty please?

BillaVista said:
Hello again XJ friends.

Long time no talk to. I hope all is well here in NAXJA land.

Thought you might like to know my latest article is done - the full hydraulic steering bible and product review:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-Hydro_Steering/index.html

Cheers,

Bill Ansell
(aka BillaVista)

Out promoting yourself again, eh? ;)
:D

It's good to hear from you around here, stop by more often. BTW, do you still have anything that resembles an XJ?

Very complete article, BTW. Good work.

Awsome article and good pics to boot.

Are those ridgid [non swivel] hydraulic hose connectors. I think that you can find swivel connectors but I don't know if they would be good for your application. It looked to me on full extension that the cylinder's hoses looked a little strained.

My buddy found some great braidless stainless steel hoses by looking at supplies for aircraft and I seem to remember that they also came with swivel ends. He was running a performance VW engine with a remote oil cooler and wanted something that would take abuse.

No, they were not cheap by any means.

None the less - very cool stuff.

Hi you guys!

I may wander....but this will ALWAYS be home :)

I'll try and stop buy more often. And maybe even occasionally whne i'm not shamelessly promoting myself, Eh Richard ;)

Anyway, my old XJ still lives, and I get to see it often, though no longer owned by me.

Funny though - the other day my wife actually blurted out (she is famous four purportedly hating all things 4wd) that she "really liked and missed the old Jeep, you remember, when all you had was a hi-lift jack and some 235 MTs". (how the heck she rememberd that is beyond me if she hates it so much ;). And you know, it's funny, I'm not actually having any more fun now than I did then...og well, progress eh!

Anyway - here's some pictures of the ol' gal now - though she's going in for major surgery again this winter

Story.jpg

DCP_5916.jpg

134-3414_IMG.JPG

134-3418_IMG.JPG

You can probably see/read more about it at my club's site at:

http://www.rightcoastcrawler.com/

Take care all - Season's Greetings!

:)

Hey Bill, I just started reading your Recovery Bible and came across this quote:

The minute you stop respecting this, it kills you.

That was from The Rock with Sean Conery and Nicholas Cage. Cage was talkin about that "VX" poison gas. Anyways, just thought I'd let ya know.:D :D

You're doing some awesome work with your tech articles. Please continue to keep us informed.

bill, the Hydro Bible is great! awesome work once again!

that XJ is awesome as well, I really like the rear fender chop and I think I may steel it on my MJ when I get around to 3 link and bobbing the rear.

keep it up!

brett (BrettM on PBB)

Ahhhhh yes, The Rock...that was it!!

Kewel movie...I love that other great line from Connoroy's character..."Loseres whine about doing their best, winners go home and ...."

;)

glad you guys like the articles

Bill

Thanks Bill, good to hear from you again. You're truly one helluva unselfish guy with your knowlege and research. I know what you mean about the fun factor. In most motorsports we seem to have more fun when we first get into a hobby with stock or near stock vehicles than we do after the "Must modify it" bug bites us.
Come back a little more often. TC

Question for ya Bill:

On your old XJ, I have a picture of it where it looks just like the ones you posted above, but it's running the shackle forward. In the picture posted above the front is mounted solidly.

Which was first? Why the change? And what springs are you/he running?

BillaVista said:
Ahhhhh yes, The Rock...that was it!!

Kewel movie...I love that other great line from Connoroy's character..."Loseres whine about doing their best, winners go home and ...."

;)

glad you guys like the articles

Bill

LOL, yeah that was a great line.

Another great write-up as always Bill!
Your old XJ is an inspiration to what my will become. :)

Springs

front Packs started life as YJ packs, and were customized from there (with junk laying around)

I had the shackle in front, because I didn;t want to deal with the driveshaft slip required with a "shackle reversal". PLus I've long been a proponent of the shackle reversal being of dubious benefit on a trail rig.

Rue probably changed it to shackle reversal because.......well, it's sometimes hard to understand why he does what he does, very often it's because he's bored and there are tools lying around.

In back, i originally had Rancho 3" packs that then also got custmoized with Waggy and YJ leafs to become hybrid monsters. I had this setup with a "revolver-like" shackle. Ruse swapped to stcok or stock like YJ packs with a regular shackle because he didn;t like the revolver-like shackle.

Dan,

Depending on some variables, like what type of hose and fittings (Industrial stuff is $4 a foot, Aeroquip more like $10 foot) , and whether a new pump is required, plan on about $1000 US for the complete setup.

That doesn't include any fabrication time/supplies - like building the mount for the cyliner, modifying knuckles and steering arms etc.

Grand total, you can easily drop $1500 or more. Not cheap by any means.

Back