• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need expert AW4 help.

BTW, continuity just means less than a certain amount of resistance. Saying you get both is like saying your engine runs, and you get 18mpg... the latter (mileage, or in this case resistance) is much more important/useful info.

Sounds like solenoid #2 is smoked, or the wiring is bad somewhere between where you measured and the solenoid itself.

It's looking like my last wheeling trip may have nuked my TCU... transmission problems I had before have come back, but not as badly. Before, the transmission would stop moving the vehicle at all, now it goes into OD at random (even while not moving) and randomly drops TC lockup. Shutting the vehicle off and turning it back on 5 seconds later fixes it temporarily. Gonna try my spare TCU when I find it.

I know the previous transmission was smoked because the pan was full of chunks of friction material and the magnets looked like chia pets when I opened it, so I'm pretty sure I had two problems and the TCU was on its best behavior for the last month or two for some reason.

1999 xj 2wd auto aw4. Friend's jeep. Loaded in park, won't rev past 3800 rpm. Reverse momentary forward then no reverse. Won't roll back unless engine off. Neutral goes forward in first gear. Drive works perfectly. Fluid was low. Topped off, no change. Unplugged TCU. No Change. Checked Linkage, NC. Removed linkage and hand shift in the air, NC. Adjusted TV cable, no change. Drained fluid, dropped pan, no chunks, some shiny bits but not excessive. Nothing looks wrong. Wat now?

1999 xj 2wd auto aw4. Friend's jeep. Loaded in park, won't rev past 3800 rpm. Reverse momentary forward then no reverse. Won't roll back unless engine off. Neutral goes forward in first gear. Drive works perfectly. Fluid was low. Topped off, no change. Unplugged TCU. No Change. Checked Linkage, NC. Removed linkage and hand shift in the air, NC. Adjusted TV cable, no change. Drained fluid, dropped pan, no chunks, some shiny bits but not excessive. Nothing looks wrong. Wat now?

First, as you have done, make sure the fluid is at full level when running in neutral. Then shut off the engine. Check the level of the fluid. It should be up by the 'Z' bend. If not, then I'd suspect the trans pump is out.
Also, unplug the TCM, then try and shift manually.

Loading up in park, and reverse not working sounds like something is amiss in the valve body or a mechanical problem. It doesn't sound like a linkage or bad solenoid issue. Someone else recently had a similar problem and noted a blown o-ring around one of the solenoids, but I don't recall if that solved his problem.

I'll ask this here too. On my buddies 98 I can't get any resistance or continuity on his #2 solenoid. If a solenoid goes bad will it also loose continuity?
Yes, either a dead short or open circuit (no continuity ) are also failures of the solenoid od the wiring/connectors.

Back