• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

93 vs. 98 buying help

Histeach

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, Newbie Here:

Looking at 2 XJ's, one a 93 Sport with 133K, 2 owner, well maintained, good shape. Guy wants $2,500. The other is 98 Classic with 200K, well maintained passed PA inspection, 2 owner. He wants $2,100

Was the early 90's, ie. 91-95 better than the newer Cherokees. The vehicle will be used by wife for snow in Maine. She won't fit in my 97 F-150 X-Cab.
Both has steady brakes, engine and tranny smooth shiftly. What are some other things to consider? It will not be used off-road. Any help would be great.

im not sure what others will say but heres some pros and cons

98 Pros
slightly stronger frame then 93 (change made in late 95 i believe?)
Passenger and Driver Airbags
I6 has quieter engine then 93 and more available torque at idle (change in 96)
more structural beams in doors for impact protection then 93.

93 Pros
r12 instead of r134a A/C (change not a pro i guess)
if you lift this you wont have driveline Vibe Problems liek the 96/7 Plus - which would need a SYE kit.

i know its not a lot... but im sure others will add details and give you more to consider.

Thanks for your input. I really appreciate it. Yeah, I had a 91 YJ with the new 4 litre and loved it. My friend has a 96 and put no money into it. Pretty impressive. Thanks again

Some other items that weren't mentioned

93 - Pros - Not an OBD2 model its more tweakable, external (changeable) instead of internal fuel filter, A/C- I thought it was 134a in 93 (or was that 94, it should say under the hood), some of the parts (map sensor, fuel pump, valve cover gasket) are going to be cheaper for 93, lower miles than the 98, better seats in my opinion.

98 Pros - Better designed interior in my opinion, airbag, less rust if this is a problem in your area, doesn't look so old school like my 95 (could also be good or bad).

Jan. 1, 1994 was the official date required by federal law for the switch to R-134a. If it's a '93 built in '92, it definitely will have R12; if the build date was in '93, you may have to check the compressor. An R-12 compressor is a Sanden SD709 and the compressor for R-134a is a Sanden SD7H15.

EDIT--BTW, when I bought mine, I compared all years' TSBs, recalls, and consumer complaints filed with different consumer-satisfaction agencies and went with a '99. As well, if you look around the various XJ forums, the general consensus is that the '99 seems to be considered the best year. By this, I'm suggesting that all else being equal, the later model would be a better purchase.

Last edited:
Thanks again for the input. It looks like I will be going in the direction of a 98-99 model. I am looking more for reliability than off road prowess.

Histeach said:
Thanks again for the input. It looks like I will be going in the direction of a 98-99 model. I am looking more for reliability than off road prowess.

My 00 doesn't seem much more reliable than my old 88 XJ. It has these cute little minor problems but it IMHO, it isn't much better built than the older ones when it comes to reliability.

If you do go the later model route, try to find a one owner that has taken good care of it. That probably makes a big difference down the road.

Back