• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hunters Annual BBQ

KRAKER

NAXJA Forum User
Hunter's 13th Annual AZVJC BBQ 12/3/11

So, its the season to wheel.. why do we know this? Because its time to start to talking about "The BBQ".

Hard to fathom, but its 13th one I am hosting. And I want it to be big so I making sure to get on the ball early and get the word out. Last years number 12 was huge and I am hoping to top that this year.

For a lot of you, you know the drill and what goes down at Hunter's BBQ. For those that are new, or, of the select group that cant remember from last year, or years before...

This originally was started as a way for the group to get together as club, in one place to meet face to face. Get ideas, tell stories, check out and show off jeeps and projects, and most important, hang out and make new freinds. The first one, had 67 Jeeps. Now they average over 125-150 of all 4x4 types. Its the place to take the rig, family and friends and have a blast. Read through for all the info.

Here is the short scoop.

When: Saturday, Dec. 3rd 3:00 PM - till we close it down. (Usually about 7-8)
Where: Hunter Offroad
625 S Smith
Tempe, Arizona, 85281

Remember, It starts at 3, but if you want a good spot in the parking lot, better get in early... good spots go quick

Here's the gist. Everyone brings a little bit of food, and there is plenty for everyone. One huge pot luck. Bring a pack of burgers, a pack of hot dogs or soda. Bring a side dish, bean dip or ketchup, etc.

Got a BBQ grill? Bring it and be a hero. Bring some cash for raffle tickets, T-shirts and some vendors may be there as well. Bring some chairs to sit in, an a table to on if ya got it. Oh, dont forget the camera. Check below for all the info.

drummer.gif
FaShizzleSmiley.jpg
-----Scrolll Down For The Raffle Info----

Most important things of the BBQ...

*Bring some chairs, bring some food or drinks to share, bring a camera.

Back in 2004, Bill Hoven put together a great video of the BBQ. Take a peek and check it out. Hard to think this is 6 years ago.

http://vimeo.com/329960

Ok everyone here is the News and Notes for the BBQ, this will get updated as things progress. Some is same from last year... or same for all the years
laugh2.gif

For starters, here's the how-to rules for the BBQ, for all of you rookies coming for your first time; or for those of you, cant remember the last one ..

This will be the main thread for the BBQ. If there are changes, they will be added here in this post. Watch the "update" date to see if anything has been added. Notes will be added. (Such as more tables or if I need more BBQ grills, because you can never really have enough tables and BBQs)

1) First Rule,
And most important. Food. Everyone brings a little. Everyone will have alot. Bring a side dish, bring a few bottles of ketchup, plates, drinks what ever. If you can, post what you are bring here so some folks can get an idea what you are bringing. One thing I ask.... If you buy meat, try and buy matching buns, helps cut down on being too lopsided. Bring a cooler with ice and have a freind bring sodas or water. You get the idea.

For those of you thinking, "I should tell him to make a list", (it happens every year), it is IMPOSSIBLE to keep track of what everyone is bringing. I have 100 poeple signed up. I will have 150 show up. I go with the rule, "average in the chaos".

2) The W's of the BBQ

Where: Hunter Offroad Parking lot
625 S Smith Suite 1
Tempe Arizona 85281

When 3:00 PM Saturday, Dec. 3rd. It will kick-off at 3 O'clock Parking lot usually fills up pretty early. If you want to get in the parking lot and have a good spot, come early. Parking lot will be open by 12:00 if you are bring a trailer, please park it down the street to save room for the rigs who cant get into the parking lot

Why: Goes back to the roots of the very first one... Allows everyone a chance to meet other Jeeper's and other 4wheeler's and swap ideas, check out other rides and get ideas, make freinds and have a good time. Most fun you will have with your 4x4 in parking lot. There are a lot of new faces this year and should be plenty of new people from other clubs. So feel free to spread the word.

3) RTI Ramp,
It will be good times as usual on the Ramp. Show everyone what you got. See if you improved over last year. Or just have fun and flex out for the camera. Lot's of pictures and probaly some tire climbing. But, with the general nonsense of people driving up on wheels, its fun, but its easy to get carried away. A few rules to remember:

I will have to say this, to um, make it known. No rolling off the ramp....
aagh.gif
All though the last few years its been known to happen....
smile.gif
So, we all know, things happen... so that said... if you are going to tackle the ramp, and you think there might be a balance malfunction, please make sure some people know (roll over spotters) to keep the areas clear. We have never had a problem so lets keep it that way

Oh, even though its been a long time... No climbing the walls... with your rigs.

4) The Infamous "Screw 'Em Raffle

Last year I had had awesome raffle. I knwo some people who kicked it got some great exspoure and business from it. So, if your a local business and want to kick in for the raffle. I am always looking for things to dontate, 4x4 related or not... All the proceeds go help cover the costs of the BBQ.

If you would like to donate, contact me. This list will get updated soon.
Club Members, if you have a business and would like to show it off at the BBQ, conact me to make arrangements.

We got our first donor....

The Raffle Overview. 1 Dollar a Ticket. 12 for 10 bucks.

*If you wear a Hunter Offroad T-shirt, you also get a free raffle ticket.

*If you deck out your ride in Christmans decoartion, you will also get free tickt for that.

Also, if you want to bring can food items, I will make sure they get to St Mary's..

5) Personal Beverages at the BBQ?

I have NEVER had a problem with folks having some cold ones in all the years I have been doing this, (over a decade) but I have bring it up. Only thing I ask, remember, it is a family event, so take care and mind your self. It is private property so you can enjoy. If you like to bring some cold ones and talk shop with your buddies, go ahead and play nice and be prepared to share with the host. And my standing rule goes, I may or may not tell you what is my soda...

6) Selling stuff Swap meet ideas.

If people want to bring stuff and try and sell or swap stuff. I have no problem.. Thats what this is all about. Got some old shocks or Jeep parts, bring and put them on display. Old winch you wanna sell? Stick out there.

Only rule, dont bring so much stuff, that is takes up room in the parking lot for people to park. If you have something bigger, leave it on the street. I want to save room for folks to setup their chairs, and allow as much room for people to park as possible in the lot. Usually a Jeep in a place will still havesome room in front, behind or besides to display stuff. That's fine.

7) Kitchen Help

I need BBQ's and tables for the food... always do. More the better. From the past, 5 normal size grills can cook all we need im the time to feed everyone. Be a hero and bring a grill. We are always looking for volunteers to help. Also, anyone want to run the kitchen area? I have found it does help to have alittle direction.

Also if anyone wants to donate to the raffle, Please contact me. In year's past we have had gift certificates for a restaurant other club members bought, to a free therapy massage by a another club member's private business, gift cards, or even the classic re-gift.

Email: [email protected] or call 480-557-7577

Do not to forget to bring Tables and chairs to sit on too for you and for others. Also, I will need BIG tables for Kitchen Area. Contact me if you have some. Will need at least 4 to 5 3x8 tables.

That should cover the bulk of it. This post will be the one I update so check it for the news.

Best Regards,
John "Hunter"

http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/showthread.php?67612-Hunter-s-13th-Annual-AZVJC-BBQ-12-3-11

Hunter's bbq Dec 3

Hunter's BBQ is coming. Biggest offroad tailgating event in AZ. Over 100 4x4s, vendors and food. Great family event. Saturday, Dec 3rd. Starts at 3:00 pm. Parking lot opens at 11

It looks like I will be able to make it. Our family get together got cancelled. I just need to find a day spa somewhere close in Tempe so my wife can drop me off and she can go get pampered.

Will shoot for getting there around 1:00pm.

David Bricker / SYR

Found a day spa for the wife and grandma. There seems to be about 4 million of them near Hunters. They have appointments starting at 1:00pm, so I should be there a few minutes before that.

Kraker, please remember to bring me a chair, thanks.

David Bricker / SYR

Last edited:
Well, despite the rain, it was a nice time. Kraker, it was nice to meet you and DaveO. Sorry I had to leave early, but was glad I could stop by for a little while. Hopefully, you didn't get rained on too much in the later part of the afternoon.

David Bricker / SYR

Back