• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

turn the key and nothing

Nuke Proof

NAXJA Forum User
I triied to start it today and there was nothing. The fuel pump activates and all the soleniods click, but when I turn the key, the starter won't turn.

Is there a fuse or a fusable link somewhere that I just can't find?

is the battery good? It may have 12V, but what about amps?

Also, try putting the Jeep in neutral, or leaving it in park and pushing the shift lever foreward while cranking

Last edited:
yes i agree with the post above!

mine did the same thing and i tried putting it in neutral and pushing it and i fired right up!
i then took apart my starter cleaned it, greased it etc and now it works just fine!

i had the same thing on mine ,
check for 12volt power at start wire on starter (the small wire)when key is turned to start postion.
if there is power give the soliniod a tap with a hammer( i used my 6 cell mag light while reaching threw the window)while turning key to start position,

i had mud in my soliniod i had to stripp it and clean it

if no power i think from memory there is a fuse in the black box near the battery

Nah, I know its not the starter or the batt.

We converted this from an auto to a manual. It started and ran. Then when we charnged the swing pedal assembly under the dash, it no longer started. The guy that was under the dash said he heard what sounded like a wire arching but we can't find a bad fuse, burned wire or a plug unplugged.

Is there a fusable link or a fuse that might be somewhere else, or is there a wire that I can check for power on the ribbon cable coming out of the column?

thanks

5-90.....got any ideas?

I know its not a cancel type switch, like I said the only thing that changed since it last started was we pulled the swing pedal assembly for the auto out, changed the pedals and put the assembly back in. I am thinking that a plug got upplugged or maybe a wire got pinched but I can't find anything under the dash.

I wish it was a simple as a switch of some kind, trust me I spend about three hours tracing before I posted here.

thanks

Last edited:
Also check your starter motor relay (see if a "bump switch" will run the starter motor.) My 88 decided to chew through about a half-dozen of them one summer - so I rewired it to take a DIN relay, and alles gut. Haven't had any trouble yet, touch wood...

A failed starter motor relay can cause a "No Crank" condition like you describe, so check it as well. Replacement relays are OEMR only, and about $40 or so a copy...

Back