• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Turn signal doesn't turn off

montanaman

NAXJA Forum User
Hi:

When I take a left turn, my turn signal switch doesn't automatically return to the off position as I straighten the wheel.

Any ideas what could cause that? Anybody messed with that before?

TIA

Last edited:
it's a plastic cam in the steering column usually.
Take a look in the "Help!" section of the parts store for the pair. You'll have to tear down the column. It's different depending on what year. Early one's have GM columns, later a chrysler.

Pre-Airbag XJ's have GM columns, which makes parts easier to find. You'll need a "Turn Signal Cancelling Cam," which should be readily available (as mentioned) in the Help! line at your local parts house. If they give you grief about having a Jeep, and you don't have airbags, just as for one for a Chevvy Cavalier, or something like that - it's the same part.

5-90

Thanks for the replys ... forgot to tell you that it's a '91 Cherokee Sport. Can the plastic cam be replaced by itself, or do you have to replace the entire switch?

You don't replace the switch. You need to replace a spring under the steering wheel, and maybe the plastic cancelling cam.

Ok ... I just finished fixing the problem.

It was a broken "Turn Signal Cancel Spring," instead of the "Turn Signal Cam."

Here are the part numbers for my '91 XJ:

Spring Only
49312 (motormite)
BK7352781(napa)

Cam (with springs, I think):
49303 (motormite)
(Can't find NAPA number)

Job was really smooth. Used my harmonic balancer puller for the steering wheel -- the threaded eyes in the steering wheel are the same thread as the harmonic balancer. Also used a lock plate compressor, which made things MUCH easier.

It's not a difficult job, just be sure to remember how everything goes back together.

Hope this helps someone in the future.

Back