• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Our 2012 SRT8 Grand Cherokee (WK2)

YELLAHEEP

NAXJA Forum User
This won't end up being much of a thread, I mean how much more could I improve this awesome Jeep? :D

All mods we wanted to do are now done:

- Window tint on front windows
- Clear bra
- Yokohama Parada Spec 2 tires replacing the garbage Pirelli Scorpion run flats.
- Rear resonators cut out and straight pipe put in with the stock tips.

It now looks, rides, sounds & runs even better than stock.:thumbup:

2012-12-06_14-21-52_943.jpg

Huge friggin' resonators. They're similar in size to a motorcycle gas tank and weigh probably 15 lbs each too. Good riddance!

2012-12-07_11-34-39_824.jpg

New pipes and the new Yokohamas.....

2012-12-07_11-34-19_778.jpg

Last edited:
Next time I'm up that way I'd like to stop by and rub up on it.

LOL.... Wrap yerself in plastic and you can ride in it.....:laugh:

That is sweet. Any concerns about the warranty with having the resonators removed? I want to do a similar treatment to the SX but I dont want Kia to have any excuses to deny warranty work.

Nope. Exhaust mods, CAI systems are ok. Its when you change the parameters in the computers and/or use programmer devices, or put a cam in the engine that voids warranty. SRT encourages the owners to race and enjoy these cars.

Fellas, you wouldn't believe the exhaust sound this thing has now after the resonator delete. Just plain awesome. Nice low rumble at idle - quiet but present. Open it up and....... damn. Just sexy. Seat-of-the-pants tells me there's a bit of horsepower increase too. :dunno:

Here's a vid of the annoyingly quiet stock exhaust. You can hear the clacking of the valves from the "Active Valve Exhaust System" - some sort of valve that increases backpressure to work with the Variable Valve Timing fuel efficiency system:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW60PYsyFgQ

Here's a vid of what ours sounds like now - done by someone else who did the resonator delete (skip ahead to 3:50). The Active Valve clacking is masked by the awesome noise. I love the rapid-clap sound between gear changes....... :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgUyqtpadM0

Forgot......... one other mod that will need to be done. An oil catch can.

37404d1316102514-my-new-catch-can-came-today-catchcan.jpg

Reading up on these, they prevent blue exhaust smoke on initial start up caused by oil getting into the intake and combustion chambers. These high output, high rpm engines can render oil to a fine mist carried within the flow of the PCV system. I've seen this blue smoke on cold start up after having driven it "spiritedly" earlier so I think we'll drop some more coin on this item as well.

Last edited:
Another thing I'll be posting up sometime next year...... My SRT Track Experience trip.

SRT owners get to attend a day at the track with SRT cars owned by Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler. You get training time with an instructor, then you participate in 3 track driving challenges: Autocross (cone course), Head-to-Head (compete against other drivers on 2 identical courses for time/cone penalties) and Performance Drive (you and another car/driver participate in high speed open track driving paced by an instructor. Your ability to keep up with the instructor determines how fast you ultimately get to go). You also get seat time in Challengers, Chargers, 300's and the Grand.

Still gotta look over the details - I'm thinking a Vegas trip would be cool...... but I hear that the Virginia International Raceway has the best open track of the tracks available in this program - 3 mile track and highest speeds...... decisions, decisions...... :D

Vegas was a lot of fun at 170.

I haven't been to VIR yet, but I've heard good things from a few friends who go there to race sportbikes.

Nope, no power adders. This wagon is more than enough fun to drive as it is. :thumbup:

That 1000 hp Grand is neat...... but he's got SOOOO much money wrapped up in that thing...... the 7.0 Stroker and supercharger along had to have set him back $15K or so.... yikes.

High Plains is open now? Thought it was still under construction...... Hmmmmmm....:D

Back