• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Turn key... Nothing

macamon

NAXJA Forum User
All of the sudden today, I jumped in my 95 cherokee, turned the key.. Nothing. This one did come with a lowjack alarm system which disables but I don't think it's that, I can still pushstart her.

Starter? or Ignition switch? I'm guessing, anyone care to elaborate?

First get under it and hit the starter with a hammer and see what happens. Sometimes when the starter is on the way out it will do that.

Welcome to NAXJA too.

when you say nothing I guess that there was not even a click?
I would guess that it is your switch. you may want to check the switch on you clutch pedal as well.

:gee: You are right, not even a click. Ignition comes on, like I said, runs fine with a pushstart. I guess the silinoid could have gone out... problem is there was no warning at all, it just stopped working. I understand about the sticky bendix thing on the starter but I think this time that's not it since I don't even hear the silinoid click over. I gots an idea, but post away if you have other suggestions. BRB:farmer:

I had the exact same problem. Turned out to be the neutral safety switch needed to be adjusted. Found it would start if I pushed the gear shift forward while turning the key. Adjusted the NSS and no problems since.

A failed solenoid can do just that, no sound at all. Try having someone turn the key while you tap on it.

Its probably your NSS or your starter. My 96 did the exact same thing and it turned out to be the starter. Luckily, it never left me stranded. A few good whacks with a hammer and it would fire right up.

Since you can push start it, I'll assume you have a manual tranny, therefore no NSS.

You can try taking a jumper wire from the battery to the small terminal on the starter, if the starter cranks then it's not the solenoid. Be careful not to touch the large terminal or any ground.

I looked in a '93 FSM I have and didn't see some kind of starter lockout on the clutch pedal in the schematic. I have to depress the clutch pedal in my Nissan P/U to get it to crank. There's a small contact switch that breaks the starter circuit with the clutch released.

Am I missing something here? Are you sure its plugged in? Is the battery dead or are the cables tight? Have you tried jumping it?

Back