• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stomper

xj-grin

NAXJA Member #1096
because jimgrms needs to see and enjoy more pictures of blue-oval beastly loveliness, I'm starting a stomper thread. :scottm:

Stomper is:
1979 F250, originally a "highboy" type truck, with a 351W, Ford metalic rust paint and a long bed, a D60 rear and a D44 front. Now a 460 punched 3 over (don't know what that makes it), backed by a BW T-18 w/ granny 1st and an NP205, KP D60 front w/ detroit, D70 rear w/ detroit and a TSM caddy disc conversion, 4.88 gearing. Includes deluxe features like airhorn siren, PA system hooked to the CB, 18K PTO winch, massive air-tank bumper, internal cage, 3k power inverter, rocking stereo -- oh yeah, she's loaded. :rtm:

Backstory: Stomper was a stocker owned for years by an old college friend of mine, nickname "pony boy". Pony grew up, literally in a one room house with 6 sibs and lets say zealous folks. He got the hell out of there as soon as he was able, and brought the truck with him. An even older friend (nearly 30 years now) bought the truck from him and immediately modded the crap out of it and named it Stomper -- this is version 4.0 or something like that as builds go. Shortly after Vern bought the truck from Pony, Pony died in a rock climbing accident -- nearly 20 years ago, now. So I have some history with this truck, as I have been riding in it to the bar, building it, breaking it, and generally helping in its construction/deconstruction for a couple of decades...

As she showed up at my place, sitting on brand-spanking 42x14.5r17 IROK's w/ a full size spare (which will all be for sale shortly if a certain someone doesn't scrape together some scratch :conceited):
Stomper003.jpg

Now sitting on some used 37x13.5r17 Toyo MTs -- you know you love the custom cowl frankenhood (at least I know Frank does):
PA100233.jpg

Cushy seats from a late 90's dodge, with fold-down storage console (and oh-yeah, that's a solid wood grant wheel, only the best baby):
PA100235.jpg

Used to have a custom utility bed (massive), I'll be replacing it with a flatbed as soon as I find a decent deal on one that isn't 8' wide... Dual tanks for something like 45 gallons of fuel -- that will get me to Big R and back, I hope, after I clean the snot out of the fuel system...
PA100234.jpg

Behemoth bumper -- likely to be replaced with a snow plow/bumper here in short order -- I'll then need to fab a new winch cradle for the PTO...
PA100237.jpg

Beastly motor, only 10k on the clock since a full rebuild, but currently suffering through some fouled fuel problems -- working through it, cleaning, running, cleaning, running, rinse, repeat... and yeah, that is one big ass air compressor on the right front!
PA100236.jpg

I have NIB some new gages, a HEI single wire chevy-style distributor for the 460, and a custom wiring harness for all of it, though I don't know when I'll get to putting it together... the slow, slow progress will be documented here! :cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
just weld the plow to the front bumper and run the winct cable thru a hole in the blade won't make it any uglier' your gonna have to sell your kids to buy gas for that beast

no accounting for (bad) taste, my man Jim...

A stomper history, in photos (some incredibly low quality film from the 90's...):

Version 1.5 (small lift, but pretty much stock otherwise):
stomperver1.jpg

stompart.jpg

Its growing, and having cooling issues with the new 460 (hence the lack of hood), Version 2.0:
stomperver2.jpg

Kelly Flats, circa 2001:
stomperKelly01jpg.jpg

Version 3 - militarized with a massive utility bed:
Stomperver3.jpg

Stomperver31.jpg

stomperver32.jpg

Version 3.5 -- add a M101 trailer for full effect:
Stomperver3wm101.jpg

and now we shall see where we go from here!

I love it with that utility bed man, the perfect support/tow rig for the Jeep.

I'll be keeping the flatbed I've got but something along the lines of lifted and utility bed equipped stomper is what I'm planning for my PwrStroke. I'm planning 37's after I can get a solid axle for the front of it, at which point I'll be losing the dually adapters.

yeah, Rick sold the utility bed as a trailer -- that thing weighed at least a ton, maybe more -- bad ass, but WAY too much steel in it.

si.

Again, definitely a sweet truck.

BTW, in regards to a flatbed for it I know somebody that has one.

mid-late 90's, southeast side ;)

As she showed up at my place, sitting on brand-spanking 42x14.5r17 IROK's w/ a full size spare (which will all be for sale shortly if a certain someone doesn't scrape together some scratch :conceited):
Stomper003.jpg

Those are going to look super sweet on my Jeep :D

Oh, and I forgot to tell you..... the mudflaps cost extra. :D

24.jpg

mudflaps, I don't need no stinkin mudflaps! :D

I still have the ones that came with it so you'll have mudflaps. I'm keeping those International ones because they're brand new and I had to pull a lot of strings to get them.

yeah, I don't need a methlab either...

Yeah you've got plenty of neighbors with meth labs...........

:D

Thats up in YOUR county (or thereabouts)... remember when I tried to get you to head up to Caribou?? :D

Thats up in YOUR county (or thereabouts)... remember when I tried to get you to head up to Caribou?? :D

No...... :dunno:

alright, we'll walk down memory lane - I was searching for an MJ (pre-little silver), and found one north of Boulder near Caribou... we were on a wheeling trip with some friends, so we showed up way out in the sticks with 3 vehicles, couple of friends (one a probation officer), and unfortunately, my kids (4-6 at the time). This toothless weirdo leads us down a maze of dirt roads to this squatting compound on the forest -- full of teepees and 55 gallon drums -- my friend promptly walks back to his jeep and puts his sidearm on - visibly.

The MJ was a mouse invested shitpile, so we high tailed it out of there toot suite. I called you to see if any of your law-type friends were interested in a bust, and you pretty much told me that "if we try to run down every small-time drug loser in the forest, we'll need twice as many guys and we'll all be out in the sticks" -- too true.

Back